Downsides to applying with no LSAT score? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
heymochi

New

Downsides to applying with no LSAT score?

Post by heymochi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:44 am

Posted this on the 7sage forum, but to no avail, so thought I'd try my luck here!

So, I took my first LSAT this past Saturday aiming to break 170, but realistically, probably scored more within the low-mid 160s. My target schools are Berkeley, UCLA, and NYU. I'm planning to retake the LSAT in December and I'm hoping to get in my application by the end of October. My question is whether I should cancel my score. I'm concerned that those schools will not consider my application/"throw it out" because of a score that's below their 25th percentile. If that's the case, I would cancel my score and wait on my December retake. However, if there are no considerable disadvantages to applying with a below 25th percentile score, I would go ahead and keep my score as well as sit the December LSAT. My GPA is 3.7 and I'm an international student (Canada), if that information is relevant. Thank you in advance for your help!

EDIT: Sorry, title is a bit misleading. When I say "no LSAT score", I mean no LSAT score for the time being, i.e. submitting application now, but with a cancelled September score and an addendum saying I will retake in December.

EDIT: For clarity.
Last edited by heymochi on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: Downsides to applying with no LSAT score?

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:50 am

I'm pretty sure you can't apply without an LSAT score. Though I may be wrong. I mean can you apply without a PS or a GPA/bachelor degree?

And it might be a bad idea to apply with an LSAT score below their 25th because they might trash your application before you get your Dec score.

What do I know though.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:24 am

I don't think you can apply without an LSAT score. I know you can at some universities if you are still in undergrad and are applying to law school at the same university, but it doesn't sound like that is your situation.

As far as the low score goes, I wouldn't cancel unless you really think you bombed. At most schools, two takes is not going to hurt you and the school will count the higher score.

logicfreak

New

Post by logicfreak » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:52 am

Downside: an unreviewable application

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:33 am

Yeah, if you cancel, you can send in your applications before your LSAT score has been released, but they won't look at it until your score comes in. If you don't cancel, you can send the applications, but tell them that you're retaking in December. I'm not sure if they look at it at that point or not (probably not), but even if they do, it will still be treated like an incomplete application as long as you ask them to consider the December score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:37 am

I can speak to this, you flush a lot of money down the drain.

Your LSAT is probably the most accurate barometer of law school admissions. Your app isnt even complete until the LSAT score is in.

heymochi

New

Post by heymochi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:27 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
And it might be a bad idea to apply with an LSAT score below their 25th because they might trash your application before you get your Dec score.
Can anyone confirm that this is a possibility? :S

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heymochi

New

Post by heymochi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:16 pm

rebexness wrote:Depends if your app shows a pending LSAT (december registration).

That said, you'll be wasting a lot of money applying without waivers.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with fee waivers; are you precluded from getting a waiver if you have a cancelled score??
rebexness wrote: Without any score though, or a cancel, they won't even be looking at your app yet so why bother submitting if you already did cancel?
I remember hearing from various sources that getting in your application early - even if you don't have an LSAT score yet - can be advantageous. From Boalt's TLS profile: "Even if you're taking the December LSAT, you should send in your application to us ahead of time."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:27 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heymochi

New

Post by heymochi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:39 pm

My bad! Edited the post for clarity.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”