PT 72 Questions, Sections 1 and 2 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PeanutsNJam

Gold

PT 72 Questions, Sections 1 and 2

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:22 am

I have a few questions and I can't search "PT 72" :(.

Section 1 Q 15:

I understand why D is right, but when choosing between D and E, why is E wrong? It seems that in the general notion of equipose (line 15-17 states the conception of equipose that is typically employed, so that means general, right?), has an inherent conflict. Line 17-20 says that this theory requires balanced opinions, but this is "hardly attainable" and "researchers commonly have some preference". Isn't that a conflict that is inherent to the theory?

Section 1 Q 16:

Ok, C is right, but isn't B proven by lines 29-32? "few comparative clinical trials could commence and even fewer could proceed to completion". So a ton of them cannot proceed to completion, which means they're suspended prematurely, right?

Section 1 Q 20:

(seeing a trend? lol my -3 this section all came from this stupid passage)

So lines 15-16 say that theoretical equipose is "typically employed". Lines 29-32 say that "If the standard of theoretical equipose is adhered to, few clinical trials could commence and even fewer could proceed to completion." Since theoretical equipose is "typically employed", then it's adhered to, right?

I'm picking between B and C. C seems right, but why is B wrong? The whole passage is talking about how theoretical equipose limits trials, and it suggests more lenient ethical standards, so that there can be more trials, right?

Section 2 Q 25:

Is D wrong only because B is "better"? I didn't pick B because I figured there was a case in which it didn't strengthen the argument: people would buy what they were gonna buy off the internet; they didn't need to drive. But I thought D would strengthen the argument in every case because it means less paper is being wasted as they're not sent to people who don't care about the product.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Last edited by PeanutsNJam on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:24 am

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Re: PT 72 Questions, Sections 1 and 2

Post by Clyde Frog » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:47 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I have a few questions and I can't search "PT 72" :(.

Section 1 Q 15:

I understand why D is right, but when choosing between D and E, why is E wrong? It seems that in the general notion of equipose (line 15-17 states the conception of equipose that is typically employed, so that means general, right?), has an inherent conflict. Line 17-20 says that this theory requires balanced opinions, but this is "hardly attainable" and "researchers commonly have some preference". Isn't that a conflict that is inherent to the theory?

Section 1 Q 16:

Ok, C is right, but isn't B proven by lines 29-32? "few comparative clinical trials could commence and even fewer could proceed to completion". So a ton of them cannot proceed to completion, which means they're suspended prematurely, right?

Section 1 Q 20:

(seeing a trend? lol my -3 this section all came from this stupid passage)

So lines 15-16 say that theoretical equipose is "typically employed". Lines 29-32 say that "If the standard of theoretical equipose is adhered to, few clinical trials could commence and even fewer could proceed to completion." Since theoretical equipose is "typically employed", then it's adhered to, right?

I'm picking between B and C. C seems right, but why is B wrong? The whole passage is talking about how theoretical equipose limits trials, and it suggests more lenient ethical standards, so that there can be more trials, right?

Section 2 Q 25:

Is D wrong only because B is "better"? I didn't pick B because I figured there was a case in which it didn't strengthen the argument: people would buy what they were gonna buy off the internet; they didn't need to drive. But I thought D would strengthen the argument in every case because it means less paper is being wasted as they're not sent to people who don't care about the product.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I didn't really feel like reading the RC passages (maybe later tonight) so I'll answer section 2 q 25 real quick. (B) easily strengthens it by cutting out the customer from driving to the store, thus reducing normal pollution that is produced from using gas. (D) as I see it really doesn't do anything for the argument, since 1) we don't know if the paper is going to cause pollution (maybe it's biodegradable), and 2) these products may be products that the customers would not buy in stores, which would mean it wouldn't cut down on pollution from gas used to and from the store.

Always go with the sure answer which is (B)

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

Re: PT 72 Questions, Sections 1 and 2

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:00 am

Did you post all these on my explanations? I answered there. I won't link to them due to board policy.

The short version is: you're quoting isolated bits of the passage outside of their full context. I think you missed something in paragraph 2: we do NOT actually hold ourselves to theoretical equipoise. If we did, research would grind to a half. The key line is 20-21: theoretial equipoise is "an ideal hardly attainable in practice". This has one of two interpretations:

1. We do not, in fact, routintely adhere to theoretical equipoise. We say we should, but we go ahead with trials that violate it.
2. We do adhere to theoretical equipoise. Drug research has ground to a halt as a result.

The second one is nonsense. If you read the second paragraph in full it's clear that research does happen.

So, rapid fire:

Q15: Inherent conflict is like this: "Dogs have fur, therefore they are not furry". My idea just doesn't make sense. Theoretical equipoise is coherent; it doesn't contradict itself. It merely fails in practice, which is different.

Q16: If you read the start of that sentence you quoted, it says "IF the standard....is adhered to". That line is describing a hypothetical situation that does not, in fact, exist.

Q20: Lines 15-16 are talking about the "conception" of equipoise. This is how we think of it, a belief. We can have a conception of justice (innocent till proven guilty, trial by jury) and a practice that completely contradicts that conception (plea bargain rather than trial, most cases judge-only).

I answered your question about mail orders too. Too long to sum up here, check the site.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”