Another "Should I cancel?" thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CrayonBlintz

New

Another "Should I cancel?" thread

Post by CrayonBlintz » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm a newb and this is my first post. Found these forums recently and it seems like an awesome community. I'm not sure that I'm posting in the right section, so please go easy?

I took the LSAT on Saturday (September 2014) and am very uncertain about the outcome, it was sort of a blur. Highest PT was 165, average was 164. Had to guess blindly on a few in two of the LRs and the LG, but I always did that during PTs and got the 164s and 165s.

The thing is I'm shooting for HYS and two more T14s, and I know I can do much better. I'm pretty sure I'm going to retake in December and study my butt off the next two months. I'm an URM (black, international student from Latin America who did undergrad in the US, LGBT), with 3.8 GPA.

The thing is, I'm so uncertain as to my LSAT that I don't know whether to cancel or not.

If it's a score I can work with, I wouldn't retake.
If it's a bad score, I'd retake, but don't know if having it would reflect badly on me.
If it's an OK score I'll probably retake, too.

What to do?!? (Very much appreciate everyone's help in advance!)

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:14 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Another "Should I cancel?" thread

Post by Rigo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:29 pm

CrayonBlintz wrote: The thing is, I'm so uncertain as to my LSAT that I don't know whether to cancel or not.
TCR comes from this quote. You should not cancel.

CrayonBlintz

New

Post by CrayonBlintz » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Dirigo wrote:
CrayonBlintz wrote: The thing is, I'm so uncertain as to my LSAT that I don't know whether to cancel or not.
TCR?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:40 pm

CrayonBlintz wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
TCR?
The correct response.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tyr

Bronze

Post by Tyr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:55 pm

[youtube]0BXwyLLUNbE[/youtube]

CrayonBlintz

New

Post by CrayonBlintz » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:12 am

Dirigo wrote:
CrayonBlintz wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
TCR?
The correct response.
Thank you for this!

I'm two (one, really) days away from having to make the call and I'm still torn.

The video ^ was really insightful. I think now my range could be anywhere between 158 at worst and 165 at the very best. 165 and up if the fates decided to smile on me that day and all of my guesses were right, and we know that's unlikely.

There's also the issue of my writing sample. I was caught off guard, or didn't take enough time to outline, or god knows what, but I don't feel comfortable about it at all. I didn't even get a chance to re-read it after I stopped writing before time ran out. I remember thinking, "they might think I had a stroke as I was writing this." I've been told over and over no one's going to read it, but in the off chance that they do, I would be so embarrassed.

Like I mentioned, I'm planning to retake anyway so this will all get rectified, but it's the prospect of having that lower score and that cringeworthy writing sample associated with my file that gives me the chills.
mornincounselor wrote: However, Stanford and Yale are two of those schools where taking it only once would bring about a measurable boost. Perhaps, this is an example of when canceling and retaking is best.
HYS + Columbia + NYU are my goals. What should I do?!

(Apologies if this is considered bumping, but I wanted to give this supplementary info seeing as my deadline to cancel is approaching.)

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:36 am

CrayonBlintz wrote: HYS + Columbia + NYU are my goals. What should I do?!
(Apologies if this is considered bumping, but I wanted to give this supplementary info seeing as my deadline to cancel is approaching.)
Sounds like a retake is in order even if you exceed expectations.
ETA: just remember you are URM.

I still say not to cancel since you don't have a good gauge on how you did. It would be a shame to cancel a 165 (the top of your range), for instance.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:48 am

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:48 am

If you think you can do better than a 165 then you are definitely in play at Stanford. If it's true that Stanford considers all scores then I would cancel.

Regardless, if you think you can go higher than a 165 you should absolutely retake. You want to get the highest score you can possibly get. Not only to improve chances at HYS, but also to give yourself better scholarships at other top schools. Don't leave money and opportunities on the table. Use all 3 LSAT attempts unless you score high enough on the first or second that you think to yourself "even on my best and luckiest day there is no way I can do better."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”