What's worse? Cancelled score or worse score? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bound

Silver

What's worse? Cancelled score or worse score?

Post by bound » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:29 am

Took the LSAT last weekend - need to decide what to do. LG is normally my best section but I ran out of time with 3-4 questions left. It was super hard for me for some reason. While I think I did pretty good on LR1 and RC, my second LR I'm not too sure about. It came after my LG section and I felt a little scatter brained. Let's just say I'm not super confident about scoring higher than my previous official score, although there may be a chance I did. Idk.

So what would look worse - canceling my score or potential getting a worse score?

dowu

Platinum

Re: What's worse? Cancelled score or worse score?

Post by dowu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:30 am

bound wrote:Took the LSAT last weekend - need to decide what to do. LG is normally my best section but I ran out of time with 3-4 questions left. It was super hard for me for some reason. While I think I did pretty good on LR1 and RC, my second LR I'm not too sure about. It came after my LG section and I felt a little scatter brained. Let's just say I'm not super confident about scoring higher than my previous official score, although there may be a chance I did. Idk.

So what would look worse - canceling my score or potential getting a worse score?
Depends entirely on where you want to apply, but for most schools it doesn't matter either way; the only score that matters is your highest score.

bound

Silver

Post by bound » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:32 am

dowu wrote:
bound wrote:Took the LSAT last weekend - need to decide what to do. LG is normally my best section but I ran out of time with 3-4 questions left. It was super hard for me for some reason. While I think I did pretty good on LR1 and RC, my second LR I'm not too sure about. It came after my LG section and I felt a little scatter brained. Let's just say I'm not super confident about scoring higher than my previous official score, although there may be a chance I did. Idk.

Depends entirely on where you want to apply, but for most schools it doesn't matter either way; the only score that matters is your highest score.
UT, Duke, UVA.... Really the only ones I'm shooting for.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:32 am

Don't cancel if there's a chance you did better or matched your score. 3-4 questions isn't a big deal and you may have guessed right for some of them.
The benefits of not canceling outweigh the risks of scoring lower (which will have no affect anyways since schools take the highest score).

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:37 am

If I were you I probably wouldn't cancel. Everyone feels a little scatter brained sometimes and most people end up scoring +/- 5 points if their practice average.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bound

Silver

Post by bound » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks for your input guys. I obviously don't want to cancel the score, especially if there's a chance I scored higher. But I wasnt sure how it would look to admissions in the event I went down. As long as there's no negative repercussions, I'll most likely keep it.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:14 pm

Told you.

bpolley0

Bronze

Post by bpolley0 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:23 pm

Last edited by bpolley0 on Sun May 22, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:54 pm

at the listed schools, likely won't matter either way
so you might as well keep the score and see how you did
maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:51 am

wouldn't it impact op negatively if he scores lower than his previous score unless he retakes again to end on an upward trend? If op already has a strong first score then cancel may be wise. What's your first score op?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”