Flaw question - pt 45, s4, Q 19 -- the word "specific" ? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
flash21

Gold

Flaw question - pt 45, s4, Q 19 -- the word "specific" ?

Post by flash21 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:50 pm

was between (C) and (D), and what made me eliminate the answer was "specific prediction" in answer choice (C), which is actually the credited response. I had it written down in review that this was the reason I was going to eliminate it, but apparently it is correct.. any thoughts? Is specific prediction really sufficiently represented by "in the near future" ? Seems like a wishy washy type of LSAT answer to me.. or I guess my definition of specific in my head is wrong. I think of specific if he was to stated a specific week or day, not just a general "near future".

Thanks in advance. Manhattan forums I didn't see this addressed well enough for me to fully understand.

dmw88

New

Re: Flaw question - pt 45, s4, Q 19 -- the word "specific" ?

Post by dmw88 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:14 am

"In the near future" is not necessarily sufficiently represented by the word specific, but you need to read the entirety of the argument for context, which allows for the word specific to properly encapsulate this idea. The implicit conclusion of the argument's reasoning process is that an asteroid will hit imminently, once very 100 million years. It interprets the average frequency with an erroneous line of reasoning, arguing that an average means that there absolutely will be one in every 100 million year period.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”