Working Full Time and PTs Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Username123

Silver

Working Full Time and PTs

Post by Username123 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to get up to 10 more PTs completed and reviewed before this Sept exam. What schedule has worked best for y'all in taking practice exams considering working 45-50 hours a week? I'm definitely going to take one each Saturday morning up until the week of the 27th, but maybe wake up really early and take one a couple days throughout the week, as painful as that sounds? I'm not sure and would like to hear some of your input as to how you went about scheduling PTs around a full time job. Taking PTs at night after a long day of work is extremely tough for me.

Sorry if that was a ramble - on my phone at work.

Thanks!!!

Hand

Gold

Re: Working Full Time and PTs

Post by Hand » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Last edited by Hand on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Glad we can agree on that.

I kept telling myself I've been taking the lazy and easy route by not waking up early to take a PT, but it's just not reasonable to me. Maybe Saturday and Sunday take a PT each day from here on out and review throughout the week? That would give me 8 or so remaining PTs, which I think would work.
hereisonehand wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to get up to 10 more PTs completed and reviewed before this Sept exam. What schedule has worked best for y'all in taking practice exams considering working 45-50 hours a week? I'm definitely going to take one each Saturday morning up until the week of the 27th, but maybe wake up really early and take one a couple days throughout the week, as painful as that sounds? I'm not sure and would like to hear some of your input as to how you went about scheduling PTs around a full time job. Taking PTs at night after a long day of work is extremely tough for me.

Sorry if that was a ramble - on my phone at work.

Thanks!!!
I'd recommend sticking to the plan of not taking any after a full work day. Didn't ever go well for me. I just take full PTs on the weekend. Putting in 2.5 hrs of LSAT before work sounds really unappealing.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:12 pm

Last edited by Hand on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:27 pm

I've been taking some timed sections and I think that during the week, it's the most reasonable and efficient method of practice. What worries me is my test-taking endurance - I really need to buckle down on the weekends and take 2 tests (one Saturday and one Sunday) in addition to taking some timed sections throughout the week. I might throw in a 6-section test or two during one of the last few tests to really work on my endurance.

Thanks for your input onehand!
hereisonehand wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:Glad we can agree on that.

I kept telling myself I've been taking the lazy and easy route by not waking up early to take a PT, but it's just not reasonable to me. Maybe Saturday and Sunday take a PT each day from here on out and review throughout the week? That would give me 8 or so remaining PTs, which I think would work.
Alternatively, you could just do one or two sections before and/or after work, instead of a whole test, which should also give you some time to go over the questions you missed straight away. (This is what I do.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:28 pm

Last edited by Hand on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:31 pm

I could never concentrate enough to do PTs effectively after work- though I did a few untimed that way, for ego boosts.

I made a schedule of every Saturday and Sunday or Holiday off of work, and kept to it. Doing your PTs AT test time is super helpful anyway- that way you can treat every test as a dry run.

Timed sections after work was a no go for RC especially. LG, sure. LR- depended on the day.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:42 pm

rebexness wrote:I could never concentrate enough to do PTs effectively after work- though I did a few untimed that way, for ego boosts.

I made a schedule of every Saturday and Sunday or Holiday off of work, and kept to it. Doing your PTs AT test time is super helpful anyway- that way you can treat every test as a dry run.

Timed sections after work was a no go for RC especially. LG, sure. LR- depended on the day.
Funny you say that about RC timed sections after work lol

Did one yesterday after a long ass work day... got to the second passage and essentially started drooling onto the page during the second paragraph. Definitely hope that doesn't happen on game day. :shock:

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:43 pm

Last edited by Hand on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

berkeleynick

New

Post by berkeleynick » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:46 pm

I feel your pain! I normally try to get in an hour of study time before work, then take my hour lunch and study during that, then try to do some slow studying in the evenings (though I understand the fatigue). I find a thirty minute nap works to get the mind back in shape again after a long day of work. I've also been taking Synchro Genesis instead of coffee in the mornings, and then I drink coffee in the early evening so I am awake to study after work.

I haven't taken any practice tests this month (I was prepping for June and did some then) but my plan is going to be Saturday & Sunday until the end. And probably going to take the Wednesday before the LSAT off and do the last one then.

Who's excited to be (hopefully) done with this!?

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:53 pm

berkeleynick wrote:I feel your pain! I normally try to get in an hour of study time before work, then take my hour lunch and study during that, then try to do some slow studying in the evenings (though I understand the fatigue). I find a thirty minute nap works to get the mind back in shape again after a long day of work. I've also been taking Synchro Genesis instead of coffee in the mornings, and then I drink coffee in the early evening so I am awake to study after work.

I haven't taken any practice tests this month (I was prepping for June and did some then) but my plan is going to be Saturday & Sunday until the end. And probably going to take the Wednesday before the LSAT off and do the last one then.

Never heard of Synchro Genesis - might have to look that up. Sounds like something on an episode of Shark Tank.

I'm definitely excited to be done with this damn test. I hate having to always talk about the LSAT with coworkers and people on the train who see me study. I'd rather talk about football and food, or both. Oh and I'm just about done with everything reminding me about the LSAT (the "football and food, or both" statement reminds me of logic games; sick of that)

akechi

New

Post by akechi » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:08 pm

berkeleynick wrote:I feel your pain! I normally try to get in an hour of study time before work, then take my hour lunch and study during that, then try to do some slow studying in the evenings (though I understand the fatigue). I find a thirty minute nap works to get the mind back in shape again after a long day of work. I've also been taking Synchro Genesis instead of coffee in the mornings, and then I drink coffee in the early evening so I am awake to study after work.

I can't bring myself to wake up an extra hour earlier. I already wake up 2 hours before work as it stands (1 hour commute).

The only time I can get a fully-alert study session is during my downtime at work. But even then, I don't have large chunks of time to do timed-sections, only individual drills. I work as a legal assistant at a corporate firm.

I should really trying napping after work to reboot my brain.

GreenTee

Silver

Post by GreenTee » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:16 pm

akechi wrote: I should really trying napping after work to reboot my brain.
Try doing a bit of cardio. If I run for just 15 mins before an after-work study session, I feel totally fresh and alert.

Also, Synchro Genesis is amazing, and everyone should try it!
Last edited by GreenTee on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:17 pm

akechi wrote:

I can't bring myself to wake up an extra hour earlier. I already wake up 2 hours before work as it stands (1 hour commute).

The only time I can get a fully-alert study session is during my downtime at work. But even then, I don't have large chunks of time to do timed-sections, only individual drills. I work as a legal assistant at a corporate firm.

I know what you mean about the lack of down time at work. I also work as a legal assistant at a firm. Seems as though projects come at me constantly.

I just need to figure out a good routine for the next month and stick to it. And I think this routine will definitely include a short power nap after work.

berkeleynick

New

Post by berkeleynick » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
akechi wrote:

I know what you mean about the lack of down time at work. I also work as a legal assistant at a firm. Seems as though projects come at me constantly.

I just need to figure out a good routine for the next month and stick to it. And I think this routine will definitely include a short power nap after work.
I guess I've been very, very lucky that this entire month has been dead in terms of work (I also work at a big law firm). Agreed with the cardio. I walk home and it's about a mile and I think it helps as well. I can't nap but even just closing your eyes is helpful.

Lying Lawyer

New

Post by Lying Lawyer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 am

You plan on getting up at 3:00 am to do a test? For starters you're not going to do well because you aren't awake at that hour to do regular things let alone take such a demanding test. You're going to be running on little sleep which will certainly affect performance. The most important thing you can do is test Saturday morning. The reality is that weeknights sometimes you're just not going to have it. Last night I was trying to do some questions. I got a few wrong and even the explanations didn't make sense. I went to bed and got up 30 minutes earlier this morning. Sat down, I finished the set correctly and the ones that I got wrong made sense. Like others have said, focus on sections, review and drilling weeknights. Just keep in mind that you're going to have an off night because your tired at times. I know it's frustrating for us full time workers, but it's the hand we're dealt with. You don't have to do every pretest out there to get a good score. It's more important that you master the tricks to understanding and attacking each question type.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”