PT28 S1 Q25 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
js1663

Bronze

PT28 S1 Q25

Post by js1663 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:30 am

Try as I might I can't seem to figure out how the correct answer is chosen here. Personally I chose C and as I'm hoping someone can explain why it's wrong and why D is correct.

Thanks

T14orTradeSchool

New

Re: PT28 S1 Q25

Post by T14orTradeSchool » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:58 am

Studying to take this test in September (and I need all the practice I can get) so i'll take a stab at it.

McKinley is saying that a study in which neither the patient nor the researcher knows which drug (actual drug vs. placebo) is being given to said patient is the best procedure for showing whether or not a drug actually works. However, we can't use this type of study with drug X, because drug X will have various effects on the patients' bodies, which will basically let the cat out of the bag. Basically, it'll tell everyone who get's the placebo versus who gets drug X.

Engle replies and I'm paraphrasing here.. "McKinley, you can't really say that cuz you'd be assuming that you already know what drug X makes happen bro!"

Is he actually assuming that? Not necessarily.

This question then asks us what Engle thinks McKinley is saying or more specifically, what is Engle assuming about McKinley's remarks.

C) isn't really what Engle is interpreting McKinley's statement to mean. Firstly, McKinley doesn't say the placebo will have "no effect whatever on the patients' bodies." That's a pretty big statement. A placebo can be a sugar pill, and increase a patient's blood sugar (thereby having an effect on a patient's body).

Again, the analysis doesn't end here. The real question is, does Engle interpret it that way?

Engle's response is that McKinley knows what the outcome of the study will be. This doesn't really lend anything to the idea that McKinley thinks the placebo will have no effect at all. They just don't equate to each other, at all. All Engle is saying is that McKinley knows the effects of the drug (efficacy).

Which brings us to D). D) is correct because if McKinley in fact DOES know the outcome of the study (which is what Engle is saying), then the "various effects on the patients' bodies" that McKinley references must necessarily have been the effects of the drugs in the way the study said that the drugs will effect the patient (the therapeutic/healing effects), and not some other effect (say, slight drop in blood pressure or a recurring rash or a slight cough).

....or else, how would McKinley know for sure that it's the drug and not actually the placebo?

Also, I'm absolutely no pro, so the explanation isn't perfect. You might want to get some other input as well.

Hope this helps!

js1663

Bronze

Re: PT28 S1 Q25

Post by js1663 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:12 am

Thanks, excellent job breaking down the question and explaining the answer choices, your explanation clears it up.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”