September LSAT strategy (help needed) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sashafierce

Bronze

September LSAT strategy (help needed)

Post by sashafierce » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:43 pm

Edit: Thanks, I just need to work harder :D
Last edited by sashafierce on Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dowu

Platinum

Re: September LSAT strategy (help needed)

Post by dowu » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:43 pm

One tip: first ten questions can typically be done in ten minutes. So go practice that.

gentlemanscholar

Bronze

Post by gentlemanscholar » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:02 pm

On the day of your test, anything you don't attempt will be wrong. This is the mindset you should be working from.

Do some timed practice. Being timed constrained is an essential component of the LSAT. Set the timer for 35 min. and take an LR section. Tell yourself "anything I don't answer is wrong." When you find a correct answer circle it and move on, especially for the first 7 or so problems in an LR, which are usually fairly straight forward. Try to find a pace where you can answer the first 10 problems in an LR in around 10-11min. Remember that every question has equal value, so there's no use sinking minutes into a single problem if it means you are leaving a handful blank. When I was studying, I found that my accuracy did not suffer much when I did timed vs un-timed sections. What seemed to make a bigger difference was how focused and relaxed I was. You may find the same to be true as you force yourself to work faster.

It's good to hear that you have a lot of PTs. Start with the older ones and work towards the newer ones. There are some slight differences between older and newer tests: Older tend to have more difficult LG sections and easier RC, whereas newer ones have comparatively easier LG sections and much more difficult RC. Ration the tests so that you finish the most current tests close to your exam.

What score are you capable of while doing a fully timed PT? If you are aiming to score around 170, then you will likely need to be answering every question (with little or no guessing).

I was stubborn like you and I took every test, and then started retaking them, until I was finishing them comfortably and averaging about 22 points per section.

Long story short, take some timed PTs. Work with urgency. See how your accuracy responds.

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:26 pm

gentlemanscholar wrote:On the day of your test, anything you don't attempt will be wrong. This is the mindset you should be working from.
I know, trust me I know, I have two very poor scores to remind me :)
dowu wrote:One tip: first ten questions can typically be done in ten minutes. So go practice that.
I usually get to 5 questions in 5 minutes, but question 6-10 mess me up for some odd reason. I am going to try and force myself, I just me to set my mind on a target and get it done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”