Rewriting a 172? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
meowprah

New

Rewriting a 172?

Post by meowprah » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:41 pm

I got a 172 on the June LSAT. This was my first attempt, and I studied for only about a month. I think I can do better. I resisted buying a lot of course materials because I wanted to see how'd I score without investing all that dough. I'm in Canada and it's a strong score for almost all of our schools, but my GPA is crap (3.18). I studied a really tough program and did a ton of ECs, so I can explain it, but not all applications here are evaluated holistically. In fact, the school I have my heart set on basically plugs your GPA and LSAT into a formula and decides that way, and I'm right on the threshold for admissions.

My question is this: if I rewrite the LSAT in September, is it reasonable to expect an increase of at least 2-3 points, or am I risking messing up my already pretty solid score? How much movement is realistically achievable for a 170s rewrite? I go -2 or -3 across all sections so I don't seem to have any clear, consistent identifiable weaknesses that I can tackle right off the bat. Am I lunatic for thinking of rewriting?

I've looked up all the rewrite stats and tried to find people who made a similar decision, but I guess I'm looking for people to share personal experiences with rewriting a 170s score. How did you study? Was it worth it?

Thanks guys, much love

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: Rewriting a 172?

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:44 pm

It's reasonable to expect an increase if you put the effort into studying. I can't answer whether it's worth it if you're planning to apply to Canadian law schools since I don't know anything about their admissions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”