What Do I Do? Not Work? 5 Months Enough? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
toliveNdieNLA

New

What Do I Do? Not Work? 5 Months Enough?

Post by toliveNdieNLA » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:33 am

Beginning the LSAT journey and wondering if between now and the December exam is enough time to prep for this exam?

I am considering not working between now and test day to devote my time to the exam and also volunteering a the local legal aid clinic. I just know if I work a fulltime job, it will drain me and I want to devote the needed time to excel on the test. Have a LSAC GPA above 3.9.

Somewhat discouraged because I am not sure if December is doable. Beginning to doubt myself...

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: What Do I Do? Not Work? 5 Months Enough?

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:35 am

December is totally doable, no question. It would be preferable to have a job in that time, for all kinds of reasons, but as long as you have a resume line and you're doing something personally worthwhile you'll be fine. Study your ass off and enjoy a T14 with money.

BP Robert

Bronze

Post by BP Robert » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:06 pm

Malleus said it well -- you definitely have plenty of time between now and December to study up and get a 170+. You could even be ready for the September test if you wanted to be. I also don't think work should be too much of a problem; many people study for the test while working full time and do just fine.

I would recommend laying out a precise study schedule to keep your work structured and help you mark your progress. Are you planning on taking an LSAT Prep Course?

If not, I'd suggest sitting down for an initial practice test within the next week or so and getting an idea of where you're at. Once that's done there are lots of good prep resources out there (personally I'd recommend Blueprint, of course).

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions, and best luck in your studies and admissions cycle.
Last edited by BP Robert on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:22 pm

I worked full time will studying for the LSAT and was fine (and I had an embarrassingly low diagnostic score). The important thing is to have a job that does not come home with you and to set up a realistic study schedule so that you're prepping for the LSAT almost every day without burning yourself out. I also really recommend Kaplan. I took the online version and found that it was flexible enough to work with my work schedule and also allowed me to study at home (which is nice if you're going to be out at work most days out of the week).

toliveNdieNLA

New

Post by toliveNdieNLA » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:33 pm

Thanks to all three of you with your advice. I am choosing not to take a prep course because I am resourceful and have all the needed study material. Just hoping its enough time to make it happen. If anyone wants to chime in on, I welcome suggestions/encouragement.

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:45 pm

Nice 2pac reference, based on that alone I believe you can hustle your way into a good score in 5 months. Since your doing self studying check out this out http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=200917.

Good luck dude/dudette.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”