Double Checking Answers Tips/Suggestions? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Oskosh

Silver

Double Checking Answers Tips/Suggestions?

Post by Oskosh » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:08 pm

Hey guys,

I have a question. I have been studying for the LSAT for a good 4 1/2 months now, and the practice tests that I've taken indicate good results. However, I have come across a hurdle, as it were. The most recent test I took was Prep Test 52 (began using the LSAT trainer), on which I scored a 172 (-3 LR, -2 LG, -2 LR, -2 RC). I used up all my time for the first LR and the LG (the 2nd logic game threw me off because I said screw the inferences, and dove right in), but for the second set of LR I had a good 2 1/2 minutes left, and for the RC I had 4 minutes remaining. I did return to one of the questions on RC that allowed me to fix one answer, but there was one passage of which I was uncertain (the game theory evolution one). Now, ever since I picked up the LSAT trainer, it has done magic for my RC, as I have not gotten less than -3 on RC since then. However, I was not willing to reread the entire passage using the structural approach that they suggest, because, hey, it was a long test and I wasn't having it. The same with logical reasoning. I begin to re-read stimulus, and I just can't subject myself to such torture.

So, my question is: If you ever have extra time, how do you review those dubious answers without feeling like you are expending a significant amount of energy? Is it just something that I have to force myself to do? Like reading all 5 answer choices (although I admit not always doing this...)?

I just don't want to plateau right here. I have never hit -0 on LR, and I feel that at least getting -0 on one of the LR sections is essential (with games and RC it goes from -0 to -2). :(

Also (mostly because I am self-conscious), please don't misconstrue this as my gloating about how well I am doing. I am actually terribly afraid that I perform really well on PTs, but will suffer some severe anxiety attack on test day and totally bomb.

Also, in anticipation of any questions pertaining my 4 1/2 months of studying: I actually have studied for this long because I forgot to register for the June test (although this may not be so bad considering what I've heard). I thought that I had used my final waiver, and the day before the exam, when I was going to print out my ticket, I saw that I hadn't registered. I know, I'm dumb.

So, any tips, advice.

Also, how do you guys REALLY, REALLY conquer those extremely difficult LR questions? Sometimes I can't even identify them, and they end up biting me in the butt! It makes me feel dumb when prep books say that it's all a structure, and all questions should be answered under this structure... However, some questions (1-2) on the LR section just seem unanswerable, and it vexes me beyond the point of belief.

fra

Bronze

Re: Double Checking Answers Tips/Suggestions?

Post by fra » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:08 am

Oskosh wrote:Hey guys,

I have a question. I have been studying for the LSAT for a good 4 1/2 months now, and the practice tests that I've taken indicate good results. However, I have come across a hurdle, as it were. The most recent test I took was Prep Test 52 (began using the LSAT trainer), on which I scored a 172 (-3 LR, -2 LG, -2 LR, -2 RC). I used up all my time for the first LR and the LG (the 2nd logic game threw me off because I said screw the inferences, and dove right in), but for the second set of LR I had a good 2 1/2 minutes left, and for the RC I had 4 minutes remaining. I did return to one of the questions on RC that allowed me to fix one answer, but there was one passage of which I was uncertain (the game theory evolution one). Now, ever since I picked up the LSAT trainer, it has done magic for my RC, as I have not gotten less than -3 on RC since then. However, I was not willing to reread the entire passage using the structural approach that they suggest, because, hey, it was a long test and I wasn't having it. The same with logical reasoning. I begin to re-read stimulus, and I just can't subject myself to such torture.

So, my question is: If you ever have extra time, how do you review those dubious answers without feeling like you are expending a significant amount of energy? Is it just something that I have to force myself to do? Like reading all 5 answer choices (although I admit not always doing this...)?

I just don't want to plateau right here. I have never hit -0 on LR, and I feel that at least getting -0 on one of the LR sections is essential (with games and RC it goes from -0 to -2). :(

Also (mostly because I am self-conscious), please don't misconstrue this as my gloating about how well I am doing. I am actually terribly afraid that I perform really well on PTs, but will suffer some severe anxiety attack on test day and totally bomb.

Also, in anticipation of any questions pertaining my 4 1/2 months of studying: I actually have studied for this long because I forgot to register for the June test (although this may not be so bad considering what I've heard). I thought that I had used my final waiver, and the day before the exam, when I was going to print out my ticket, I saw that I hadn't registered. I know, I'm dumb.

So, any tips, advice.

Also, how do you guys REALLY, REALLY conquer those extremely difficult LR questions? Sometimes I can't even identify them, and they end up biting me in the butt! It makes me feel dumb when prep books say that it's all a structure, and all questions should be answered under this structure... However, some questions (1-2) on the LR section just seem unanswerable, and it vexes me beyond the point of belief.
I use the same method to identify questions to come back to if I have time and to identify hard questions. For every question, no matter what the section is, I cross out answers that are obviously wrong. If I end up with more than one answer not crossed out (two answers that both seem to be correct) then I have either missed something in the prompt (such as EXCEPT, or just misreading something) or the question is just a tricky one for me. I reread the prompt, and if that doesn't clear things up then I quickly choose what I think is the best answer, put an asterisk by the question and move on. I transfer all of my answers to the bubble sheet at the end, so as I'm doing that I look for asterisks. I reread the entire question and can then usually select the correct answer without too much difficulty. Something about taking a break from a question and then coming back to it later hits the refresh button in my brain and makes the questions much easier then second time I see them. Since the answers that are clearly wrong are already marked out the second time going through that question is usually pretty quick.
This method might only work for me because I can usually get through a LR section with 5-15 minutes to spare. I can usually do a LR section with -0 or -1 since I started using this method, but was doing -1 to -4 on each section when I was only going through each question once (as in, if I found a tricky question I would just stare at it until I selected an answer).

tskela

Bronze

Re: Double Checking Answers Tips/Suggestions?

Post by tskela » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:15 pm

I had an almost identical question about extra time and posted it on the September thread. This piece of advice was particularly helpful:
Straw_Mandible wrote:
tskela wrote: ~3-5 minutes. Never gotten -0. :( It's frustrating because I tend to not read all the answer choices once I've found one that "jumps out". This is almost always the reason I miss a couple. But you never know which question is the one you should have read all the answer choices for. And if I read all the answer choices for ALL the questions, I get bogged down/confused and end up making MORE mistakes. :| Because that's when I get into the "weeeeellll, this one sounds pretty good too".
The bolded portion above sounds like a problem with your skill set, which you're going to have to address. I would argue that it is absolutely, 100% necessary to read every answer choice for every LR and RC question. If you find that you have a tendency of being led astray by incorrect answers, then you need to strengthen your elimination process. Very often, on the most difficult questions, the answers that "jump out" will be traps, and the correct answer will be subtly or strangely worded. If you don't have an absolutely religious devotion to the process of elimination, these questions will nail you.

Here's a thought: During your next blind review session, take a red pen and cross out every incorrect answer choice once you can figure out the reason why it is absolutely, 100% incorrect. Don't allow yourself to move on to the next question until you can use your red pen on exactly four of the answer choices--no matter how long it takes. This will sharpen your elimination skills, and it will eventually just naturally become a part of your process to always look for wrong answers first.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”