September 2014 Retakers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LawBron James

Bronze

Re: September 2014 Retakers

Post by LawBron James » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:29 pm

charlesriver wrote:
LawBron James wrote:How much of an effect does having done a test before (2-3 months ago) typically have? My last 3 scores have been ridiculously awesome (about 3-4 points more than I was PT'ing at before June, and 8-9 points better than I did in June), but I'm worried I subconsciously am giving myself the right answers.
I guess it depends on each individual's weakness. if your problem is with reading and comprehension, familiarity with the test material will definitely give you an advantage when answering questions. If your problem is with certain logical analysis, which in my opinion is harder to change, it won't matter as much to see the same question again in a couple of months. The best way to find out, of course, will be to use a brand new test. So, save your new test for diagnosis and use your old test for practice. :P :lol:
Unfortunately, I have no new tests...

I'm just going to have to hope that the old tests, aside from being good practice, at least give a rough estimate of how I'm doing. I'm averaging about a 179 right now, so if I even get 5 points lower I'll be thrilled.

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:43 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:How is studying coming along for everyone?

Ready to get that 170+
Yeah I'm kind of excited for test day as well. I'm averaging 176 on PTs 36-66 so far, but this is my second time taking them. Still think it counts, since I don't really remember anything about the exams, especially on the RC. Just need to brush up on LG since I'm prone to some brainmeltingly dumb mistakes. How about you? I'm sure you're studying diligently as usual.
I am, I am.

Just woke up from a nap, and will be taking a PT right now ;)

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:22 am

Ugh I just looked at 7sage's video for June 14's Game 4. The first time I've looked at this game since I sat for the exam. I want to hit myself for not seeing how this game isn't as incredibly hard as I thought on first glance. Can't believe I came up with a rule that doesn't exist, throwing off everything.

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:52 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:Ugh I just looked at 7sage's video for June 14's Game 4. The first time I've looked at this game since I sat for the exam. I want to hit myself for not seeing how this game isn't as incredibly hard as I thought on first glance. Can't believe I came up with a rule that doesn't exist, throwing off everything.

:lol:

I hope we don't have any of those this time around.

umichan

New

Post by umichan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:05 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:Ugh I just looked at 7sage's video for June 14's Game 4. The first time I've looked at this game since I sat for the exam. I want to hit myself for not seeing how this game isn't as incredibly hard as I thought on first glance. Can't believe I came up with a rule that doesn't exist, throwing off everything.
Hi YeezusPiece, the same here! I spent 20 minutes in the test staring at the strange rules without making any inference! I was super nervous during the June test, but am now preparing for all the killer games to get ready! Best luck to us all in the coming test!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:55 am

I hate Game 4 of PT 68 with the fire of a thousand suns... :evil:

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:07 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:

Where you been LLH????

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:17 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:

Where you been LLH????
I'm here. Don't really like the September thread.

nmjensen

New

Post by nmjensen » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Checking in.

I took PT 63 after work last night and will take 65 tonight.

Working 8 hours and testing/reviewing for 4 is brutal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:54 pm

nmjensen wrote:Checking in.

How did you do? You don't have to answer if its too personal.

nmjensen

New

Post by nmjensen » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:33 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
nmjensen wrote:Checking in.

How did you do? You don't have to answer if its too personal.
86 raw; 167. I'm really bummed because after seeing the questions I missed, at least four were the most careless mistakes ever. I misread a question, decided one answer sounded good so skipped the others to save time) Four more correct choices and I would have hit 170 :(

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:16 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Learn_Live_Hope wrote:

Where you been LLH????
I'm here. Don't really like the September thread.
:(

dontdoitkid

Bronze

Post by dontdoitkid » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:18 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:I hate Game 4 of PT 68 with the fire of a thousand suns... :evil:
The worst.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Finally took 72 today and I'm trying to find meaning in the difference in performance on today vs. June test day. Most of the (LR) questions I got wrong today were answered correctly on test day and most of the questions I got wrong on test day were answered correctly today. I went -6 on both sections combined in the number of questions that I got wrong both today and on test day.

I'm guessing the fact that I got a low score on test day made me second guess today's answers because a lot of the ones I got wrong today were because of changing from correct to incorrect answer choice? Idk and I have no clue what to make of today's results.

td;dr: maybe I shouldn't have used the test I bombed during a real administration as a PT?

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:52 pm

dasani13 wrote:Finally took 72 today and I'm trying to find meaning in the difference in performance on today vs. June test day. Most of the (LR) questions I got wrong today were answered correctly on test day and most of the questions I got wrong on test day were answered correctly today. I went -6 on both sections combined in the number of questions that I got wrong both today and on test day.

I'm guessing the fact that I got a low score on test day made me second guess today's answers because a lot of the ones I got wrong today were because of changing from correct to incorrect answer choice? Idk and I have no clue what to make of today's results.

td;dr: maybe I shouldn't have used the test I bombed during a real administration as a PT?
Hey, dasani!!!!

I think so as well…given that you know you didn't perform as well as you would have liked I think you second-guessed yourself as a result of it which resulted in a lower score.

How is RC treating you?

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:57 pm

dasani13 wrote:Finally took 72 today and I'm trying to find meaning in the difference in performance on today vs. June test day. Most of the (LR) questions I got wrong today were answered correctly on test day and most of the questions I got wrong on test day were answered correctly today. I went -6 on both sections combined in the number of questions that I got wrong both today and on test day.

Maybe not so close to the test, anyway.

umichan

New

Post by umichan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:52 pm

Checking in today. Can't believe that the last game in the June test has such a similar setup as the PrepTest C (Feb 2000). The June killer game is actually easier than the PrepTest one, in my opinion. My two cents about these types of questions:

I would call these problems as "relative sequencing" (didn't read any LG preparations systematically so did not know what the professionals call this). There is no real sequencing here, names are given just for reference; what matters here is the relative sequencing, i.e., A->B, and B->C. The set-up is easy -- still assigning elements into positions, but with the implicit rule that every element has to occur in every row (be it a year/day), and a "pass-on" order, which means that one thing cannot be worked on by the same element in consecutive rows. The rules look weird at first sight -- it become very easy once we dig out the KEY INFERENCE though, for example A_ -> AB, or _B ->AB.

Key lesson here: take the Superprep Tests seriously. I did a lot of PTs before my June LSAT, but didn't do this one and thought the weird LG4 had never happened before. But here it is! So now boil down every question in the three Superprep Tests this week to get ready for the battle next week. Good luck everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smile22

New

Post by smile22 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:09 am

What game in Preptest C are you referring to?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:22 am

smile22 wrote:What game in Preptest C are you referring to?
The last game in C is really quite similar to the last one of the june test

smile22

New

Post by smile22 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:25 am

Awesome. Thanks for sharing the info! I'll have to check that game out.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:44 am

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:

Hey, dasani!!!!

I think so as well…given that you know you didn't perform as well as you would have liked I think you second-guessed yourself as a result of it which resulted in a lower score.

How is RC treating you?
Hi LLH! Thanks for the reply :) RC is getting much better. I'm forcing myself to drill it which I've never done before lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:46 am

rebexness wrote:

Maybe not so close to the test, anyway.
Ugh yeah, I was supposed to take it 2 weeks ago but kept postponing. I have 3 PTs left so I hope I find a way to get my confidence back.

umichan

New

Post by umichan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:06 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
smile22 wrote:What game in Preptest C are you referring to?
The last game in C is really quite similar to the last one of the june test
Thanks hereisonehand! Yes, I was talking about the last game in C. Sorry for the confusion.

Hands

New

Post by Hands » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Hey, I'm not well acquainted with this site, but I was wondering if any of you have any last-minute suggestions as to how to better perform on the logic games.

As of right now, I'm testing at about a 167, which is happily 6 points above my diagnostic, but am lucky to get more than 15 right on the logic games (but am in the 90% range on the other three sections). So if I can even get to the 20/25 range, I'll be around a 170, which is my target.

Some Logic Games that I've had an especially rough time getting past:

December 2001 - Game 3 (seats on a bus)
June 2001 - Game 4 (doctors in Randsborough and Souderton)
October 2000 - Game 4 (cats/dogs in a pet shop)

I will, of course, browse the site to find posted explanations on these particular games, but I was including them more in case someone had some insight as to which type of games I am struggling with and what methods work best at attacking them. Any help or insight, even if general, would be much appreciated.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Hands wrote:Hey, I'm not well acquainted with this site, but I was wondering if any of you have any last-minute suggestions as to how to better perform on the logic games.

As of right now, I'm testing at about a 167, which is happily 6 points above my diagnostic, but am lucky to get more than 15 right on the logic games (but am in the 90% range on the other three sections). So if I can even get to the 20/25 range, I'll be around a 170, which is my target.

Some Logic Games that I've had an especially rough time getting past:

December 2001 - Game 3 (seats on a bus)
June 2001 - Game 4 (doctors in Randsborough and Souderton)
October 2000 - Game 4 (cats/dogs in a pet shop)

I will, of course, browse the site to find posted explanations on these particular games, but I was including them more in case someone had some insight as to which type of games I am struggling with and what methods work best at attacking them. Any help or insight, even if general, would be much appreciated.

Welcome! Have you seen the 7sage videos for these games?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”