Studying a year in advance-good or bad idea? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

How far in advance did you begin studying for the LSAT?

1-2 months
16%
3-4 months
30%
5-6 months
19%
7-8 months
7%
9-10 months
5%
11-12 months
7%
More than a year
16%

Total votes: 43

179orBust

Bronze

Studying a year in advance-good or bad idea?

Post by 179orBust » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:11 am

Plan on taking the June 2015 LSAT, and I decided I would begin studying tomorrow. Got a 150 on my diagnostic, so obviously a lot of work needs to be done in order to achieve my goal of a 172+ score.

Am I making a bad decision by studying a year in advance? I want to prevent burnout/ using up all the materials and I'm afraid if I start too early both these things may happen.

Also, in the beginning of my study process, how many hours would you say is a good amount to put in per day? I'm a novice when it comes to LSAT prep so any help you guys can provide me with would really be appreciated.

And to those taking the LSAT this Monday:GOOD LUCK!

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: Studying a year in advance-good or bad idea?

Post by malleus discentium » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:13 am

Are you in UG? Why do you think you need a whole year?

stanfordxhopeful

New

Post by stanfordxhopeful » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:17 am

It depends on your learning style. Some people only need 3 months to prepare while others need 6 or more. Personally, a year sounds like too long, though.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:56 am

I started the June 2014 Study Group 362 days before the exam.

Just saying

Cradle6

Bronze

Post by Cradle6 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:02 pm

I started July of last year with a diagnostic of 155. I'm taking the real thing tomorrow.

I think a year is great, but you need to stay motivated and have a plan of action. I started in a class, but did solo study afterwards.

For example, I drilled logic games every day for three months. Did 5 a day until I felt really comfortable with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:06 pm

It's not really that big of a deal to "run out" of prep tests. I ended up taking several years of PTs twice.

Splitter1415

New

Post by Splitter1415 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:28 pm

It's been a while since I took the LSAT last time and I have forgotten about many things. If you can keep your motivation up and don't have much time to study, it is not a bad ideal to start early.

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:10 pm

I started prepping hard in January and I still feel like there is a lot of untapped potential. I am no necessarily a slow learner but I am the type of learner that has to understand nuance in order to understand the whole picture. It all depends on what type of learner you are I think. Some people study from the 150s to the 170s in two months. For some, that takes a year. It looks like I am in the latter group but the main thing is to prep to a score, not a date. I don't care If I have to be at this thing until next June (god I hope not!) as long as that means I will have reached my potential (and of course, I am comfortable with my potential).

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:19 pm

I'm also thinking about the June 2015 test. I don't expect it to take a year to reach my target score, but I want to give myself plenty of time so I'm starting my prep now at a leisurely pace.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:54 am

RZ5646 wrote:I'm also thinking about the June 2015 test. I don't expect it to take a year to reach my target score, but I want to give myself plenty of time so I'm starting my prep now at a leisurely pace.
I'm no expert (still studying for my LSAT). However, I would honestly just study - not at a leisurely pace - just study. You have no idea how long this test will take you and I have found out that the LSAT - at least for me (maybe not you?) - is best approached with vigor and with the understanding that you are trying to retrain your brain. The longer you can stay in this "world" everyday, the better!

As I said though, I am no expert but maybe some might agree with me.

bondja

New

Post by bondja » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:04 am

Don't prep leisurely. If you're going to prep, prep. Don't half-donkey it. You don't half-donkey a relationship until you get married. You don't half-donkey making a sandwich in the morning for lunch. If you are leisurely about it, you won't retain information and you won't excel. This is from personal experience. I leisurely prep'd from October of last year until March. Do you know how far I got? 30 pages. When you leisurely prep, you'll let other things get in the way from your studies.

If you want to give yourself plenty of time then you need to prepare at a steady smooth pace.

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:53 am

bondja wrote:Don't prep leisurely. If you're going to prep, prep. Don't half-donkey it. You don't half-donkey a relationship until you get married. You don't half-donkey making a sandwich in the morning for lunch. If you are leisurely about it, you won't retain information and you won't excel. This is from personal experience. I leisurely prep'd from October of last year until March. Do you know how far I got? 30 pages. When you leisurely prep, you'll let other things get in the way from your studies.

If you want to give yourself plenty of time then you need to prepare at a steady smooth pace.
I think what bondja is trying to say here is that LSAT prep is just like making a sandwich.

bondja

New

Post by bondja » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:16 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote: I think what bondja is trying to say here is that LSAT prep is just like making a sandwich.
You gotta make a nice smooth spread. Toast it a little bit but don't get burnt! Always make sure that the bread slices are parallel so you don't have one corner of the bread higher than the other (next time you make a sandwich put the two pieces next to each other and you'll see that not every slice is made evenly!). Don't go too slow or your bread will get soggy, just like your brain and studying for the LSAT.

How many flaws are in that argument? A lot.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:41 pm

Earlier the better.

I'm teaching my kids modus ponens at 5 years old.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”