Bringing a phone to the test center Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sirlancealot

New

Bringing a phone to the test center

Post by sirlancealot » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:37 pm

Last edited by sirlancealot on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cicero76

Silver

Re: Bringing a phone to the test center

Post by Cicero76 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:40 pm

Don't bring a phone to the test center.

People survived traveling public transportation and going places without iPhones for decades. If the worst came to worst you could borrow someone's.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:28 pm

sirlancealot wrote:I know as per the Lsac rules, cell phones and other electronic devices are not allowed in the testing center. However, I have to travel to the test center by subway and transfer onto a shuttle to make it onto the university's campus. I really would not feel comfortable leaving my iPhone at home in case I ended up getting lost or some other unforeseen circumstance happened where I would have to call somebody, etc. Would it be wise to bring my phone to the test center and just ditch it in a bush outside the building where I'm taking the test? Or do test proctors typically have a box or something where test-takers can put electronic devices? Any sort of advice on this from people who have had similar experiences would be extremely helpful.
Smart play is to leave it at home.

But just turn it off, not silient, not vibrate, not airplane mode, but OFF OFF, and leave it in your pocket.

Onomatopoeia

Gold

Post by Onomatopoeia » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
sirlancealot wrote:I know as per the Lsac rules, cell phones and other electronic devices are not allowed in the testing center. However, I have to travel to the test center by subway and transfer onto a shuttle to make it onto the university's campus. I really would not feel comfortable leaving my iPhone at home in case I ended up getting lost or some other unforeseen circumstance happened where I would have to call somebody, etc. Would it be wise to bring my phone to the test center and just ditch it in a bush outside the building where I'm taking the test? Or do test proctors typically have a box or something where test-takers can put electronic devices? Any sort of advice on this from people who have had similar experiences would be extremely helpful.

But just turn it off, not silient, not vibrate, not airplane mode, but OFF OFF, and leave it in your pocket.
DF is drunk right now. ignore him.

even though you're a troll.... here is some friendly advice for those at home -- LEAVE THE DAMN PHONE AT HOME

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Weren't there several posts over the past few years of people who got in trouble withLSAC proctors or got kicked out of a test center because of phones?

Why would you risk this after all your hard work?

And yes you sound like the frequent troll here.

The over explanation of extraneous details usually is a sign.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EMadan

New

Post by EMadan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Don't bring a phone. There's no place to put it in the test center. Even if it's completely off, if any of the proctors notice that you have a phone in your pocket, you'll be kicked out of the test and your score will note an irregularity.

If you absolutely have to bring it, consider meeting a friend at the test center before it starts and giving it to him to hang on to.

Onomatopoeia

Gold

Post by Onomatopoeia » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:44 pm

EMadan wrote:Don't bring a phone. There's no place to put it in the test center. Even if it's completely off, if any of the proctors notice that you have a phone in your pocket, you'll be kicked out of the test and your score will note an irregularity.

If you absolutely have to bring it, consider meeting a friend at the test center before it starts and giving it to him to hang on to.
ignore the bolded. leave the phone at home or in your car. youll be asked if you have a phone once you get there. pleading stupidity or lack of awareness will not be an option.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:53 pm

If you have a compelling reason to have it call ahead to the test center and ask the receptionist or security if you can leave it with them.

Onomatopoeia

Gold

Post by Onomatopoeia » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Gooner91 wrote:If you have a compelling reason to have it call ahead to the test center and ask the receptionist or security if you can leave it with them.
are you srs right now? if he absolutely needs to make a call after the test, he can use a payphone or ask to borrow someones phone. why even complicate shit. the risk of having a mix up occur is simply not worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:06 pm

BornAgain99 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

DF is drunk right now. ignore him.

even though you're a troll.... here is some friendly advice for those at home -- LEAVE THE DAMN PHONE AT HOME
My friend Tropical Jackel did it and guess what? Nobody pats you down, and you get away with it scott free.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:12 pm

Dude, leave the phone at home. When I was in college I didn't have a cell phone and I seemed to find my way to places just fine. This over-dependence on a piece of technology to do something that people have managed to do for thousands of years without it is ridiculous.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Bring it so when you get bored during the test you can play angry birds.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:26 pm

print out the google map directions. you'll look like a goober, but you'll know where you're going.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BPlaura

Bronze

Post by BPlaura » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:00 pm

sirlancealot wrote:I really would not feel comfortable leaving my iPhone at home in case I ended up getting lost or some other unforeseen circumstance happened where I would have to call somebody, etc.
Nope, you can't bring your phone, nor is there anywhere at the testing center where you can leave it. BUT, this is exactly why it's a good idea to do a "dry run" sometime this week where you go from your house to the testing center. That way you'll know how long it takes, feel confident that you won't get lost, etc.

sirlancealot

New

Post by sirlancealot » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:10 pm

Ok great, thanks everybody. Sorry if that was a stupid question, I just figured that there would be at least some people in the same shoes as me that could benefit from everyone's advice.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:13 pm

This:
anyriotgirl wrote:print out the google map directions. you'll look like a goober, but you'll know where you're going.
and this:
BPlaura wrote:Nope, you can't bring your phone, nor is there anywhere at the testing center where you can leave it. BUT, this is exactly why it's a good idea to do a "dry run" sometime this week where you go from your house to the testing center. That way you'll know how long it takes, feel confident that you won't get lost, etc.

jd2017.8

New

Post by jd2017.8 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:24 pm

BPlaura wrote:
sirlancealot wrote:I really would not feel comfortable leaving my iPhone at home in case I ended up getting lost or some other unforeseen circumstance happened where I would have to call somebody, etc.
Nope, you can't bring your phone, nor is there anywhere at the testing center where you can leave it. BUT, this is exactly why it's a good idea to do a "dry run" sometime this week where you go from your house to the testing center. That way you'll know how long it takes, feel confident that you won't get lost, etc.

Just FYI - I imagine this goes without saying, but even if you do a dry run, get there early. I took my test on a campus I had minimal familiarity with. I had done a dry run so that I knew where the building was. On the day of the test, they changed the building to another across campus and did not have an LSAC rep at the original building. Just one 8 1/2 x 11 sign on the building door telling us it had been moved. Several of us ended up running to the other side of the campus and were lucky to find the building before the test started. To their credit, they were aware of the problem and held off on starting the administration to allow others to find the location. Still, early wouldn't hurt.

Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:25 pm

I left my phone at home. After the test, I walked to a convenience store and used their phone to call a cab.

If you ask the proctor to store your phone they will probably kick you out and report you to LSAC.

Splitter1415

New

Post by Splitter1415 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Leave your phone at home. Just print a direction to the test center.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:40 pm

A dude got written up for using his phone during the break.

Don't bring your phone.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:37 pm

The proctors at one of my LSATs asked if anyone brought their phones and at least five did. They all were kicked out. Even some kids texting before officially checking in were kicked out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:59 am

If you're going to bring a cell phone to your testing center then it's mandatory that you bring a cell phone like this

Image (LinkRemoved)
photo upload (LinkRemoved)

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:06 am

If you were stuck between the choice between being able to take your LSAT and not get written up or get lost getting home, I'd go for the latter. Bro, this is the most important thing on your law school application. It's not the time to take a chance.

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:56 pm

My LSAT center is 80 miles away so I'm staying in a hotel sunday night. Needless to say im dumping my phone in the trunk of my car

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:37 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:Bring it so when you get bored during the test you can play angry birds.

LOLOLOLOL

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”