Scoring 156. Two weeks from June LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
yunjh1066

New

Scoring 156. Two weeks from June LSAT

Post by yunjh1066 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi guys,

I've been studying with Blueprint (which I like) and I studied diligently... Everyday about 3-4 hours (it might not be enough but I thought I did my best). I took about 7 practice tests. All scoring around the same score...

What are the chances of it going up. There are couple lessons left with BP for reviews. I can take about 7 more PTs. I just suck at standardized tests so it just seems hopeless...

As of now, the instructors have informed us that timing is still our problem so I guess I can solve more questions in two weeks. But my biggest struggle is LRs. I get LG (althought can't usually finish one whole game due to timing...so will try to improve on that) and same goes for RC (which i don't hate but same thing with LG, where I can't get to the 4th passage yet due to timing) LG and RC, I believe, can improve if I just work fast and obviously accurately enough. But LRs!!! They are just...I tend to over-think it and have comprehension issue...

Are there any tips until 2 weeks run out?

I might retake it on Octorber but... I really just want to get it over with and apply! I have 3.8 GPA from a UC undergrad... I honestly don't care where I go as long as I get alot of money. Don't care about prestigious jobs or schools. Want to just work hard and work in a governmental or non-profit jobs.

Thanks in advance!

PDX4343

Silver

Re: Scoring 156. Two weeks from June LSAT

Post by PDX4343 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:25 pm

Definitely postpone. Don't take the test until you're consistently getting 100% on LG.

Not to be dramatic, but with a 3.8 the difference between a 156 and a 170 on the LSAT will affect your life for years. It will be the difference between going to a school where you have a 50- 60% shot of EVER becoming a lawyer at full price versus somewhere in the lower T-14 with a solid amount of cash. Don't waste that GPA!

Edit: To answer your question, you won't be able to improve much in 2 weeks. At this point you should be hitting, or at least getting very close to your target score

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:33 pm

Last edited by jk148706 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yunjh1066

New

Post by yunjh1066 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:35 pm

jk148706 wrote:Postpone

Should I take it and then cancel the score :(?

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:57 pm

yunjh1066 wrote:
jk148706 wrote:Postpone

Should I take it and then cancel the score :(?
No. Postpone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tyr

Bronze

Post by Tyr » Tue May 27, 2014 3:16 pm

yunjh1066 wrote:I took about 7 practice tests. All scoring around the same score...
yunjh1066 wrote:I just suck at standardized tests so it just seems hopeless...
First, many top-scorers take many more than 7 practice tests. You may be putting in the time per day, but it doesn't sound like you've put in enough time over the duration of your LSAT prep. Did you practice for only a few weeks? While a few weeks may be enough for some people, it is certainly not enough for most. I pulled out two quotations from the OP. You may not be hitting your goal because you just haven't put in enough time. Don't say that it is hopeless, you just need to put in more time.
yunjh1066 wrote:I honestly don't care where I go as long as I get alot of money.
And please tell me you're talking about scholarship money, right? If so, then absolutely wait until you are scoring higher. If you're saying that you don't care where you go to law school because you just want to make a lot of money and drive fancy cars...don't go to law school. However, I presume you're talking about scholarship money because you want to go into the government or non-profits.

yunjh1066

New

Post by yunjh1066 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Yes. I meant scholarship money. No, I'm not going to law school to get rich. I want to work in the legal field regardless of how much I make so I'm down to go wherever as long as they give me enough support (since I can' afford to).

I have been in the prep course for 2 months. I've been doing hw everyday. It's only been recent (basically last week) since we finished covering all the materials so I only had the chance to take 7 tests. I definitely would take more (I will take more with the time left, about 7 more). I just didn't squeeze that many since I didn't want to burn and overwhelm myself.

While I had two solid months to study...is it really possible to get the scores up by putting in couple more months?

Also to the top thread, why not take it and cancel it?

Thanks guys!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue May 27, 2014 6:47 pm

yunjh1066 wrote:
Also to the top thread, why not take it and cancel it?
If you cancel, you don't get a score or find out what you missed, so it's pretty much a waste of time and money. Just save the money, stay home and take another practice test.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue May 27, 2014 6:51 pm

postpone.

the BP course has hopefully given you a good understanding of the test and its fundamentals. Take the summer to work on drilling/timing and then take in September. 3 months is plenty of time to bump up 15 points or so given your knowledge base.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iskim88

Bronze

Post by iskim88 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Hey OP
Last year, I was in the exact same shoes that u r currently in.

I took the June test with the intention of cancelling - which I did, but I wish I had not done that.

I studied really hard and took the October one, and ended up with an undesirable score below my PT average. Retook it in December and though significantly improved, still got a score below my PT average.

I'm happy with how my cycle has turned out, (off to T30 with $$$, probably graduating with less than 40k debt) but I still cannot help but ask myself how I would have done if only I had a chance to take it again in Feb. I wasted that chance in June, and more practice usually means better score. I'm not gonna wait 2 years to take the test again, but u have 3 chances in your hands. Don't waste them. Exhaust all three even if u do well on your first or second try. One point changes the whole symmetry of the law school admissions game. Good luck

itsallinthesauce

New

Post by itsallinthesauce » Fri May 30, 2014 12:08 am

Pneumonia wrote:postpone.

the BP course has hopefully given you a good understanding of the test and its fundamentals. Take the summer to work on drilling/timing and then take in September. 3 months is plenty of time to bump up 15 points or so given your knowledge base.
15 pt increase? Is that possible in 3 mo's?

el madrileno

New

Post by el madrileno » Fri May 30, 2014 12:15 am

itsallinthesauce wrote:

I had a 9 point increase in one month. I think it is possible. Do not take the test underprepared. I did and on my first take and it was no bueno. My first retake was the 9 point jump with a month of study before the February test.

I only drilled prior to my first take with a few PTs thrown in. On my second spent my first few days reviewing games and the toughest fallacies and the rest was spent taking a PT five times a week. 3 months is a long time to make those gains if you ACTUALLY PUT IN LEGITIMATE EFFORT.

But take it for what it is worth, I only jumped 9 points.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri May 30, 2014 12:31 am

Yes it can be done, do not take the June lsat period.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lurj

New

Post by lurj » Fri May 30, 2014 1:55 pm

itsallinthesauce wrote:

Absolutely. I diagnostic'd a 154 at a kaplan mock test. Now after a few months Im scoring mid 170's consistently. Although I guess I could bomb the real deal :)

Two things:

A. Practice tests really are critical. The thing that increased my score the most was just spamming practice tests. IMO if you arent taking 20+ tests before the real deal you're doing it wrong.
B. GO OVER YOUR MISTAKES. Its easy to just think that you corrected what you're doing wrong, but the most important aspect of prep to me was analyzing my mistakes in my practice test and correcting them. Use 7sage, manhattan lsat forums, etc.

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:56 pm

lurj wrote:
itsallinthesauce wrote:

Absolutely. I diagnostic'd a 154 at a kaplan mock test. Now after a few months Im scoring mid 170's consistently. Although I guess I could bomb the real deal :)

Two things:

A. Practice tests really are critical. The thing that increased my score the most was just spamming practice tests. IMO if you arent taking 20+ tests before the real deal you're doing it wrong.
B. GO OVER YOUR MISTAKES. Its easy to just think that you corrected what you're doing wrong, but the most important aspect of prep to me was analyzing my mistakes in my practice test and correcting them. Use 7sage, manhattan lsat forums, etc.
Just wanted to comment that this advice CAN BE dangerous. 20+ tests might be necessary but is in no way sufficient. Don't just do a bunch of PT's. You'll burn through material and you may not gain all that much in skill

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Fri May 30, 2014 2:01 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:
lurj wrote:
itsallinthesauce wrote:

Two things:

Just wanted to comment that this advice CAN BE dangerous. 20+ tests might be necessary but is in no way sufficient. Don't just do a bunch of PT's. You'll burn through material and you may not gain all that much in skill
Agreed. Doing full PTs is nice because you get a "score" at the end of it, but I'd bet most people would do better using most of their available material drilling questions by type, rather than just banging out PTs (or even full sections).

Also, while going from a 154 diagnostic to the mid-170s doesn't surprise me, keep in mind that the OP has already done a significant amount of study and taken a half-dozen practice tests to get to his 156. Not the same thing at all.

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Fri May 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Absolutely postpone. With a 156, you will not get any money from anywhere not objectively awful.
You are unable to finish LG and RC in time, and yet you consider LR your biggest hurdle. It sounds like you have a lot to work on, and it may not just be speed. Two weeks, imo, is not enough time to tackle all this. I also think seven PTs is not even close to enough.
Do you drill? Do you utilize any materials other than Blueprint (Powerscore Bibles, Cambridge bundles by type, etc.)?
If you aren't doing blind review, start. I promise it helps with speed and understanding if done properly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eljefe1

Bronze

Post by eljefe1 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:08 am

i can work out in the gym for 3 hours every day of the week, but if i just blindly use the equipment and dont refine my routine, ill never get in good enough shape for the "tough mudder". : / : / : / : ( : ( : ( : ' (

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat May 31, 2014 5:18 am

This whole taking the test for practice and cancelling thing is bizarre to me.

Hypothetical student A takes the test in June and cancels. He sits in September, bombs. Now on his December retake he has all the pressure of knowing he'll be locked out for a year and a half if he bombs again. As if he wasn't under enough pressure already, he knows that this is his last chance unless he wants to wait two cycles.

Hypothetical student B takes the test in June and cancels. Does okay on September, does better in December. But his cycle doesn't work out as well as he would have liked -- he gets waitlisted at his top pick. If he had another take he could give Feb/June a crack and see if he can get in off of WL, but he used up the take on the June "practice".

Hypothetical student C takes the test in June and cancels. Does well in September, retakes and does even better in December, and gets in everywhere he applies. Sounds like an ideal scenario. But he's not seeing the $$, his numbers got him in, but he's not getting decent awards. If he had another take he could retake and negotiate aid; some have gotten full rides with a June retake after an earlier admit. But that won't happen for student C, his cycle is over.

So many admission/aid disadvantages for such a minor LSAT prep advantage, it really makes no sense to me.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat May 31, 2014 5:28 am

Also, why so few PTs? When you make your study schedule for September, make sure you get in a healthy number of PTs. Many students like to use older tests (say, up to PT 40 or so) for drilling purposes, then use the more recent tests for timed sections and/or PTs. Repetition is key; for most people, it's hard to get pacing in line until they've done at least a dozen PTs or so.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”