LR question need help! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ket310

New

LR question need help!

Post by ket310 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:12 pm

I really need help on this one question. I looked at Kaplan's explanation and Mahattan LSAT forum and still cannot understand and don't agree why the correct answer is correct.

PT20-S4-Q19

Which one of the following must be true?

The correct answer is (D) A large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed.

Here's my issue. Assuming D is wrong, the large proportion of mail (let's say 60%) is correctly addressed, thereby supposed to be arriving within 2 days. However, if most of them are damaged in transit (which is possibility, nowhere it says it is not), then they MIGHT arrive after 3 days. This makes possible that less than 50%of mail arrives within 2 days without D being MUST be true, which proves that D is not MUST be true.

I eliminated all answers, and was wondering for more than 30 minutes, and figured I would ask you guys. I don't think any answer is right on this question...;;
Last edited by ket310 on Wed May 14, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Louis1127

Silver

Re: LR question need help!

Post by Louis1127 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:19 pm

You need to take it down. But you can still describe the question, and ask your question, and someone will help :D

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed May 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Why would it need to be taken down?

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Because it's against the rules.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:34 pm

Yeah take down the question and just leave the PT, Section, and #

Here's what the stimulus tells us:

(1)Correctly Addressed ---> 2 Business Days
(2)More than 2 Business Days (but correctly addressed) ---> Damaged in Transit
(3)Mail (most) More than 2 Business Days

For (3) to be valid, it must be true that a large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed. Why? Because there are two subsets of correctly addressed mail - those that are damaged in transit and those that aren't. Those not damaged in transit make up the majority of correctly addressed mail, as indicated in the first sentence of the stimulus. From this alone, we can rule out answer choice A) - which was, admittedly, tempting at first glance. So, in order for the conclusion to be valid, it must be the case that a large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed. Given the information in the stimulus, mail can either be correctly addressed and arrive in 2 business days, correctly addressed but damaged in transit and thus arrive greater than 2 business days, OR mail can be incorrectly addressed and arrive after more than 2 business days. Therefore, since nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives in 2 business days and if MOST mail arrives after 2 business days, then D) would have to be true.

ket310

New

Post by ket310 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:48 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Yeah take down the question and just leave the PT, Section, and #

Here's what the stimulus tells us:

(1)Correctly Addressed ---> 2 Business Days
(2)More than 2 Business Days (but correctly addressed) ---> Damaged in Transit
(3)Mail (most) More than 2 Business Days

For (3) to be valid, it must be true that a large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed. Why? Because there are two subsets of correctly addressed mail - those that are damaged in transit and those that aren't. Those not damaged in transit make up the majority of correctly addressed mail, as indicated in the first sentence of the stimulus. From this alone, we can rule out answer choice A) - which was, admittedly, tempting at first glance. So, in order for the conclusion to be valid, it must be the case that a large proportion of mail is incorrectly addressed. Given the information in the stimulus, mail can either be correctly addressed and arrive in 2 business days, correctly addressed but damaged in transit and thus arrive greater than 2 business days, OR mail can be incorrectly addressed and arrive after more than 2 business days. Therefore, since nearly all mail that is correctly addressed arrives in 2 business days and if MOST mail arrives after 2 business days, then D) would have to be true.
....I feel like dumbass... missed the "nearly all" part. None of the other explanations pointed that part out... Thanks now understood!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”