Is this forum part of the law school scam? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Saddle Up

Bronze

Re: Is this forum part of the law school scam?

Post by Saddle Up » Tue May 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Bikeflip wrote:[
:lol: Saddle, changing the facts of your story makes you look like a huge asshole. But thanks for playing.

Also, DAT LSAT 25th drop.
And you're going where to LS? Can't wait

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue May 13, 2014 3:29 pm

You're adorable. Please tell me that you will wear a suit everyday to class.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue May 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Went back to your thread. This was the basic tenor:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I don't think Emory with a huge discount and no CoL, combined with a desire to work in Atlanta, is a bad thing. You have to be comfortable with the idea that you probably won't get BigLaw, though. If you could see yourself being happy in a small/midsize firm or in state/local government, then Emory for <40k in debt sounds fine to me.
People basically objected to you thinking Duke and Emory have equal employment outcomes (they don't), but no one was particularly against you going to Emory for cheap.

Saddle Up

Bronze

Post by Saddle Up » Tue May 13, 2014 3:32 pm

Bikeflip wrote:You're adorable. Please tell me that you will wear a suit everyday to class.
I'll give you my wardrobe update after you can figure out what school you're going to. Can't wait.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue May 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Saddle Up wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:You're adorable. Please tell me that you will wear a suit everyday to class.
I'll give you my wardrobe update after you can figure out what school you're going to. Can't wait.
He's a graduate, you twit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Saddle Up wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:[
:lol: Saddle, changing the facts of your story makes you look like a huge asshole. But thanks for playing.

Also, DAT LSAT 25th drop.
And you're going where to LS? Can't wait
We gave you the stats. Unless you have some secret connection that you are not telling us, we gave you what your chances of landing ATL biglaw are, they are approximately 20% (and perhaps lower, since we don't have a precise number of non-partner track doc review positions counted in there; I would guess a good amount). Not quite sure what you're getting angry at.

Saddle Up

Bronze

Post by Saddle Up » Tue May 13, 2014 3:37 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:Went back to your thread. This was the basic tenor:
TheSpanishMain wrote:I don't think Emory with a huge discount and no CoL, combined with a desire to work in Atlanta, is a bad thing. You have to be comfortable with the idea that you probably won't get BigLaw, though. If you could see yourself being happy in a small/midsize firm or in state/local government, then Emory for <40k in debt sounds fine to me.
People basically objected to you thinking Duke and Emory have equal employment outcomes (they don't), but no one was particularly against you going to Emory for cheap.
For me, Emory over Duke was simple but a couple of the T6s...that was harder (even at sticker). In the end I figured I'd end up in Atlanta anyway.

All though it doesn't matter. do not know why Emory gets a bad rap on tls, because there a lots of Emory grads at high paying Atlanta firms.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue May 13, 2014 3:39 pm

Saddle Up wrote:
For me, Emory over Duke was simple but a couple of the T6s...that was harder (even at sticker). In the end I figured I'd end up in Atlanta anyway.

All though it doesn't matter. do not know why Emory gets a bad rap on tls, because there a lots of Emory grads at high high paying Atlanta firms.
It gets a bad rap because it produces statistically shitty outcomes. Nobody denies that there are plenty of Emory grads who have done well for themselves, but what is the goddamn denominator? Stop being so dense.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue May 13, 2014 3:40 pm

Saddle Up wrote:

All though it doesn't matter. do not know why Emory gets a bad rap on tls, because there a lots of Emory grads at high high paying Atlanta firms.
Yes, it is because only about 20% of the class gets jobs in big firms, whereas more like 60% do at a school like Duke. There are probably as many Emory grads in Atlanta as Duke grads, but that's because of a combination of self-selection and firms from other cities not interviewing at Emory. It's still almost certainly much, much easier to get a big firm job in ATL from Duke than Emory.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Tue May 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Dessert Faux. Thank you for once again reminding us all that 0Ls gun 0L and defend schools that have shitty practices.

TelegramSam

Silver

Post by TelegramSam » Tue May 13, 2014 3:45 pm

I'm amazed that every Desert Fox thread can consistently produce lulz.

This Saddle Up guy has nothing on the guy that called DF an anti-semite though

Saddle Up

Bronze

Post by Saddle Up » Tue May 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:[Yes, it is because only about 20% of the class gets jobs in big firms, whereas more like 60% do at a school like Duke. There are probably as many Emory grads in Atlanta as Duke grads, but that's because of a combination of self-selection and firms from other cities not interviewing at Emory. It's still almost certainly much, much easier to get a big firm job in ATL from Duke than Emory.
So, given all the back and forth here.... what you would do? Emory, nearly riding free (no COL) or Duke at sticker (or what discount you might receive with 171). Thx.

Dredd_2017

Bronze

Post by Dredd_2017 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Saddle Up wrote:All though it doesn't matter. do not know why Emory gets a bad rap on tls, because there a lots of Emory grads at high paying Atlanta firms.
There was a thread on this less than a week ago: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=229120

Bottom line is that Emory produces worse employment outcomes on average coupled with less generous scholarships than statistically better schools. Their NLJ 2013 employment rate of 13.7% is also awful.

Just so you don't think I'm an Emory hater, it was the first school that accepted me this cycle and I considered attending before better options materialized.

Edit: Go look at lawschoolnumbers for what people with your GPA/LSAT get at Duke on average. It's up to you if the differential between Emory or Duke is worth it. Also, I strongly recommend you look at Vandy if you're gung-ho for the south, they'd probably give you a really solid scholly.
Last edited by Dredd_2017 on Tue May 13, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Saddle Up

Bronze

Post by Saddle Up » Tue May 13, 2014 3:48 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Saddle Up wrote:
Why is your good buddy so shy to say from where? Is it a secret??

TelegramSam

Silver

Post by TelegramSam » Tue May 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Saddle Up wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Saddle Up wrote:
Why would he out his law school to you and why does it matter?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue May 13, 2014 3:50 pm

Saddle Up wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:[Yes, it is because only about 20% of the class gets jobs in big firms, whereas more like 60% do at a school like Duke. There are probably as many Emory grads in Atlanta as Duke grads, but that's because of a combination of self-selection and firms from other cities not interviewing at Emory. It's still almost certainly much, much easier to get a big firm job in ATL from Duke than Emory.
So, given all the back and forth here.... what you would do? Emory, nearly riding free (no COL) or Duke at sticker (or what discount you might receive with 171). Thx.
I'd take Emory over Duke at sticker, sure, though I'm not sure that's what you would've ended up with.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:51 pm

There are some weird people on TLS...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue May 13, 2014 3:51 pm

Saddle Up wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Saddle Up wrote:
.... why does it matter? Does where either of us went to school change a damn thing about this conversation?

Saddle Up

Bronze

Post by Saddle Up » Tue May 13, 2014 3:55 pm

bjsesq wrote: .... why does it matter? Does where either of us went to school change a damn thing about this conversation?
Since you're putting down Emory.... just curious about the great LS you went to that lets you post on TLS all day along.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue May 13, 2014 3:56 pm

TelegramSam

Silver

Post by TelegramSam » Tue May 13, 2014 3:56 pm

Saddle Up wrote:
bjsesq wrote: .... why does it matter? Does where either of us went to school change a damn thing about this conversation?
Since you're putting down Emory.... just curious about the great LS you went to that lets you post on TLS all day along.
Lol. Dude there are people who post on TLS all day long from basically every single law school you can think of. This line of questioning is stupid as fuck

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Saddle Up wrote:
Even if he went to a lower tier school, plenty of people here shit on law schools while having attended shitty ones themselves. It doesn't make the information any less relevant or true.

You seem to be the textbook definition of a snowflake.

Saddle Up

Bronze

Post by Saddle Up » Tue May 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Went to my sister’s graduation yesterday and everyone was happy with their offered outcomes and without any exception I know of, they are now doing bar prep. With that I shall bid a farewell, and (except for the two smart people in the room) I hope everyone else keeps plugging away at promoting sticker… those schools appreciate your endeavors for them to make as much money as possible.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:12 pm

Saddle Up wrote:Went to my sister’s graduation yesterday and everyone was happy with their offered outcomes and without any exception I know of, they are now doing bar prep. With that I shall bid a farewell, and (except for the two smart people in the room) I hope everyone else keeps plugging away at promoting sticker… those schools appreciate your endeavors for them to make as much money as possible.
Either very dumb, or just dumb troll.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue May 13, 2014 4:16 pm

It's funny when people interpret "don't go to X school, it has Y bad quality" as "my school is/was better than yours. It's kind of like when people start bandying around the term hypocrite at the grad-posters who say that there are bad outcomes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”