Planning for Sept. LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MassiveSplit

New

Planning for Sept. LSAT

Post by MassiveSplit » Sat May 03, 2014 4:54 am

Hello all,

I am planning to retake the LSAT in September. My first two scores were 156 and 158. I am hopeful for a larger jump to make me competitive to T20 schools. I have a low GPA (3.1) from a large state school. I will be graduating in May 2014 and plan to take a year off to continue academic research, work, study for the LSAT, and improve my application.

December 2013 LSAT

I began study for the LSAT in August 2013. I purchased the PS trio and worked through at a comfortable pace. I began with LG, LR, and finally RC. I had hoped to work through the books by November, but found that I was running out of time. I subsequently skimmed and skipped portions of the RC book in order to begin my PT practice. Looking back, I regret the pace in which I worked through the books. I also felt that I had learned the concepts but failed to "master" them, as I have seen many TLS members reference.
The first few weeks of PT'ing I worked at an untimed pace, but still kept time to track my progress. Once I progressed to completing sections in ~35 minutes, I switched to a strict test-taking mode: timed, switching locations, and uninterrupted.
I did my best to take a PT every third day and worked in sections and drills in between. By about a week before test day, I was PT'ing at 162-165 with most of my misses in LR and RC.
I went into test day confident, but ill-prepared. I had not mastered the techniques required for success on the test, and even had trouble with the time limit during both LR and LG. I scored a 156 and felt that the months studying had just gone down the toilet.

February 2014 LSAT

Discouraged but inspired, I made the decision to retake in February (for anyone considering this option next winter, DO NOT do it). This was the worst mistake I could have made. I was advised to wait until the June test and sit out a year (which ironically, I am doing anyways), but did not listen.
I spent the month of January working through LSAT Trainer. I focused on improving my technique for LR problems and was successful. I was working sections in <32 minutes with -1 or -2. I then tried to incorporate a method for attacking RC passages. I improved my time on the RC sections but did not alter my overall section score much from -6 to -8. By a week before the test, I was PT'ing consistently at 166-168.
I should have sat out the exam but went anyways. I scored a 158 and deserved it.

In all of my time studying, I have found that I did not allot enough time or energy to mastering the tasks. I also attempted to study during the busiest year of my life while juggling school, two jobs, and my personal life. I want to change. I want to spend the summer preparing for the LSAT in the most efficient way possible. I thought I was dedicated before - I wasn't. I am now.

TLS, how do you recommend I spend the summer? Should I invest in a class? Should I try self study again (keep in mind, I've done this)? I also clearly have a problem with my nerves on test day. There is too much variance between my PT scores and my test results. How can I minimize this for September?

I appreciate any and all advice. I want to score 170+.

papercut

Silver

Re: Planning for Sept. LSAT

Post by papercut » Sun May 04, 2014 12:51 pm

I think you would probably benefit from a prep course. It's a bit more than buying a bunch of books, but I think it just works better than trying to teach something to yourself.

I don't like the PS approach to LR. They don't want you to read the question stem first. I think this is a big mistake. Since, LR is half the test, I wouldn't go with PS for the prep course.

How many questions are you missing on LG? Are you doing 5 section practice tests under test conditions (early in the morning, 15 minute break after 3 sections, etc)?

MassiveSplit

New

Post by MassiveSplit » Sun May 04, 2014 2:40 pm

papercut wrote:I think you would probably benefit from a prep course. It's a bit more than buying a bunch of books, but I think it just works better than trying to teach something to yourself.

I don't like the PS approach to LR. They don't want you to read the question stem first. I think this is a big mistake. Since, LR is half the test, I wouldn't go with PS for the prep course.

How many questions are you missing on LG? Are you doing 5 section practice tests under test conditions (early in the morning, 15 minute break after 3 sections, etc)?
Yes I took practice tests under test conditions.

I found the PS method to LR rather strange as well. In my opinion it's counterintuitive to read a block of text without knowing what to pick out. However I do see the merit. It forces you to break down every argument the same way.

Do you have any suggestions on a test prep company? I have looked at loads of threads on TLS supporting various programs. I have the option of Blueprint, Princeton Review, Testmasters, and Kaplan.

How do you recommend I prep for the test prep program? They don't start until July.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Sun May 04, 2014 2:48 pm

I found the PS method to LR rather strange as well. In my opinion it's counterintuitive to read a block of text without knowing what to pick out. However I do see the merit. It forces you to break down every argument the same way.
Here's the thing though. If you have a main point question, and you know it, you won't bother looking for flaws. If you have a flaw question, you'll stop after you've found the flaw - you won't bother trying to think about fixing it or making it worse. If you're dealing with a must be true question, then you don't care that there just happens to be an argument in the stimulus. You get to focus your attention more narrowly, which makes you more likely to read well, and not waste time or your nerves.
Do you have any suggestions on a test prep company? I have looked at loads of threads on TLS supporting various programs. I have the option of Blueprint, Princeton Review, Testmasters, and Kaplan.
I'd go with Testmasters or Blueprint. They give you the most bang (hours) for your buck.

Call them up, I know neither of them mind if you want to sit in on a class.

Sitting in on a class is a good idea because the quality of your actual course will depend mostly on the quality of the instructor.
How do you recommend I prep for the test prep program? They don't start until July.
This is a tough question because you might acquire some bad habits on your own. I would try to start with their online program, then move to the classroom. If you find that the online program works well for you - e.g. you don't need the structure of a classroom - then you can just double down on the online program.

MassiveSplit

New

Post by MassiveSplit » Sun May 04, 2014 3:04 pm

Thank you for your thoughts! I will go ahead and call Blueprint and Testmasters to try to sit in on a class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Sun May 04, 2014 3:07 pm

Oh I forgot to add something in my original reply.

I had huge issues with nerves too. Still did when I sat for the test, but I had a good amount of success dealing with it by running. Something about doing cardio just made me feel much more relaxed and ready to go. A little bit of nerves is a good thing, so don't think you have to feel like it's stroll in the park.

MassiveSplit

New

Post by MassiveSplit » Sun May 04, 2014 4:35 pm

papercut wrote:Oh I forgot to add something in my original reply.

I had huge issues with nerves too. Still did when I sat for the test, but I had a good amount of success dealing with it by running. Something about doing cardio just made me feel much more relaxed and ready to go. A little bit of nerves is a good thing, so don't think you have to feel like it's stroll in the park.
How many points did you score under your PT level?

I run nearly every day as an outlet too. Did you run the morning of the exam?

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Sun May 04, 2014 4:39 pm

Yup I went for a run before the test.

Scored about 3-4 points lower than I had expected, but I can't really complain.

MassiveSplit

New

Post by MassiveSplit » Sun May 04, 2014 4:54 pm

papercut wrote:Yup I went for a run before the test.

Scored about 3-4 points lower than I had expected, but I can't really complain.
I'll have to do that too.

No complaining about a 174 allowed! :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”