Law Advisor at My College Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Pneumonia

Gold

Re: Law Advisor at My College

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:04 pm

I for one had a pretty excellent pre-law advisor. She was informed and mentioned TLS, LST, and debt prospects in our very first meeting. They aren't all bad.

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 pm

I have an awesome one, and she isn't even specifically a pre-law advisor - she just got stuck with that responsibility because my school doesn't have a huge number of students in need of that service, and so I guess they don't want to hire someone specifically to do only that. She actually asked me to come back a week after my initial visit because she wanted to do more research after hearing what interests I had and the field of law I wanted to pursue. When I came back she had a list of about 25 schools for me to consider, with at least 2 in each tier, and a diagnostic LSAT for me to take. She also bent over backwards to get me a scholarship for an LSAT prep course after my first take because I would NEVER have been able to afford one - I'm sure they aren't all as dedicated as mine was, but sometimes you just have to make lemonade.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:04 pm

PattyCake wrote:Sounds like someone doing their job. I'll just share what my sister told me years ago when I asked her what her first year of law school was like (she went to a T14): "It's fine, as long as you can find a way to balance absolute confidence in your abilities with the knowledge that you are always - always - wrong." I would just try to keep an open mind and consider that your advisor may know a little something about what she's talking about - it's a skill that will serve you well wherever you end up attending.
That's one of the most accurate descriptions of what going to LS is like that I've ever read.
It's sooo very very true and becomes undeniable for most students after first semester 1L grades are released! That's always a very humbling experience for almost everyone, especially since unlike the LSAT, LS finals are graded on a forced curve.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:59 pm

If I would of listened to the nay sayers I'd still be in the Austrian alps yodeling... Pay no attention to the people who say it can't be done-Arnold S.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:24 am

My law adviser gave me advice on some classes that I might benefit from taking, such as formal logic, philosophy-related courses ect., and she gave me a cupcake and told me that she liked my hat. True story.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:36 pm

How would she know? Are there any reliable statistics?

I mean, so many people don't even bother taking diagnostics, and those that do aren't asked to send their score to LSAC or anything.

And if the statistic comes from a course, that's sampling bias.

I call shenanigans.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Max324 wrote:How would she know? Are there any reliable statistics?

I mean, so many people don't even bother taking diagnostics, and those that do aren't asked to send their score to LSAC or anything.

And if the statistic comes from a course, that's sampling bias.

I call shenanigans.
She's referencing retake statistics.

NotHermione

New

Post by NotHermione » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Similarly, an acquaintance of mine went on a tour at a TTT school and the person in admissions told her not to bother studying for the LSAT. She told her it was all "common sense" and studying wouldn't do anything. I just about died.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”