For those of you who scored/scoring in the 170+ range Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Darmody

Bronze

For those of you who scored/scoring in the 170+ range

Post by Darmody » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:19 pm

How did your scores improve to that point? Was it a slow gradual process or did you see a big jump? I am currently struggling and scoring 160-161 consistently even though I am reviewing my mistakes. I already read through the Bibles and the Manhattan series. I am consistently at around -3 LG, but I think I can get this down to -0, but my LR and RC are all over the place, ranging from -5 to -10. Should I stop taking PTs and just drill? I am planning to take it February but will push it back if necessary.

retaking23

Bronze

Re: For those of you who scored/scoring in the 170+ range

Post by retaking23 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:24 pm

It was slow and painful. Be patient and stick at it. Continue reviewing your mistakes vigilantly and one day you'll be in the 170-173 range and complaining about why you can't consistently break 175+.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:26 pm

Darmody wrote:How did your scores improve to that point? Was it a slow gradual process or did you see a big jump? I am currently struggling and scoring 160-161 consistently even though I am reviewing my mistakes. I already read through the Bibles and the Manhattan series. I am consistently at around -3 LG, but I think I can get this down to -0, but my LR and RC are all over the place, ranging from -5 to -10. Should I stop taking PTs and just drill? I am planning to take it February but will push it back if necessary.
Haven't gotten my Dec score back but I believe, and from my own personal experience, TCR to make LR more consistant is to drill. I personally went from PTing in the ~160 range to the ~170 range strictly by doing all of the LR drilling packets spread out over a few weeks. I would read a chapter of MLSAT LR and then drill the corresponding question type, then review the ones I got wrong. The Cambridge packets were definitely clutch.

Darmody

Bronze

Post by Darmody » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:28 pm

retaking23 wrote:It was slow and painful. Be patient and stick at it. Continue reviewing your mistakes vigilantly and one day you'll be in the 170-173 range and complaining about why you can't consistently break 175+.
Should I forgo my plan to take it February? I want to hit at least a 170. Or is it realistically doable to jump from scoring low 160s consistently to 170+ consistently in a month?

Darmody

Bronze

Post by Darmody » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:30 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
Darmody wrote:How did your scores improve to that point? Was it a slow gradual process or did you see a big jump? I am currently struggling and scoring 160-161 consistently even though I am reviewing my mistakes. I already read through the Bibles and the Manhattan series. I am consistently at around -3 LG, but I think I can get this down to -0, but my LR and RC are all over the place, ranging from -5 to -10. Should I stop taking PTs and just drill? I am planning to take it February but will push it back if necessary.
Haven't gotten my Dec score back but I believe, and from my own personal experience, TCR to make LR more consistant is to drill. I personally went from PTing in the ~160 range to the ~170 range strictly by doing all of the LR drilling packets spread out over a few weeks. I would read a chapter of MLSAT LR and then drill the corresponding question type, then review the ones I got wrong. The Cambridge packets were definitely clutch.
What's TCR? And should I stop wasting PT's and just keep drilling, and then come back to the PTs? I fear I'll go through all the PTs without breaking 170 at this rate...

Also, did you time yourself when drilling LR?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:48 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
Did you complete the whole packet for each type or did you skip around as you mastered each difficulty level?

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Darmody wrote:
retaking23 wrote:It was slow and painful. Be patient and stick at it. Continue reviewing your mistakes vigilantly and one day you'll be in the 170-173 range and complaining about why you can't consistently break 175+.
Should I forgo my plan to take it February? I want to hit at least a 170. Or is it realistically doable to jump from scoring low 160s consistently to 170+ consistently in a month?
It's certainly doable in a month as many on this forum routinely accomplish such a feat. But it is quite difficult and I know this all too well because I haven't scored a 170+ on an official exam and I've taken it thrice already (fingers crossed for finally getting 170+ on December's exam). The first time I took it, I was PTing in the 165-168 range and scored a few points below that. The second time around, I was PTing a solid 170 and scored below that. And this final time around, I was PTing a bit higher than 173. My personal experience and TLS wisdom says that people usually score below their PT average on an official exam. So, if you want to go from PTing in the low 160s to an official score of 170+, it's probably going to be a little more work than simply PTing in the 170s. Be very methodical about what you do. Drill your specific weaknesses and do not neglect your strengths either. Take PTs and devote lots of time in blind review and do not be hesitant about retaking PTs if you feel you skimmed on reviewing. Ultimately, only you will know if you are ready to take it in February or not. I would suggest that if you don't feel 100% comfortable taking it then, you should move it to June unless you must apply this cycle. Good luck!

theramblingfool

Bronze

Post by theramblingfool » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:37 pm

Last edited by theramblingfool on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackbirdfly

Bronze

Post by blackbirdfly » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Last edited by blackbirdfly on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tkim129

New

Post by tkim129 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:07 pm

It's hard to improve your score without drilling. Drill first and put it into action to see if it works on a practice test. I went up 10 points in the last month by focusing on question types that I was weakest at for LR and learning to diagram for RC.

You can always raise your score. Make sure you are carefully analyzing what you are doing right and wrong and fix them accordingly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”