December LSAT Test Versions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
laballermvp9

New

December LSAT Test Versions

Post by laballermvp9 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:17 am

I obviously understand that LSAC has different test versions/orders. However, does anyone know if they mix up the games/passages within sections as well. For example, could it be possible for two people to have a different order of logic games within the section? Like game 1 for one individual was game 2 in someone else's section? Hope my question isn't too confusing.

retaking23

Bronze

Re: December LSAT Test Versions

Post by retaking23 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:45 pm

laballermvp9 wrote:I obviously understand that LSAC has different test versions/orders. However, does anyone know if they mix up the games/passages within sections as well. For example, could it be possible for two people to have a different order of logic games within the section? Like game 1 for one individual was game 2 in someone else's section? Hope my question isn't too confusing.
I heavily doubt it. Although I could see RC passages being randomized, I just can't see the same with games. People do games in a specific order (usually, 1st to last) and the games usually get harder from one to the next. Randomizing this would be disastrous for a lot of folks' mental state (not that they would know it was randomized until after the fact).

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:59 pm

Wait, do you think LSAC actually cares about how the order of the games would affect test takers? I doubt the order is randomized just because logistically it starts to get difficult, but I don't think LSAC cares if test takers are thrown by an unexpected order.

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Wait, do you think LSAC actually cares about how the order of the games would affect test takers? I doubt the order is randomized just because logistically it starts to get difficult, but I don't think LSAC cares if test takers are thrown by an unexpected order.
I think so, especially for the games and LR sections. There is no doubt that the first game and first 10 or so LR questions are usually super easy. Given that the LSAC publishes three of the PTs administered each year and now has over 70 in publication, it makes sense for it to follow this pattern lest it want to be accused of misleading customers (potential examinees) which might, however marginally, lend some more credibility to those companies that make their own LSAT-styled questions.

I think scores might also be a little different were question order randomized. Top scorers will continue to rock but most other people will lose points simply because they will not be able to get to answer all of the easy questions upfront. This would effectively ruin the standardization of the test until randomization becomes the norm (and who knows how many administrations of the exam that would take).

All of what I've written is speculation but I do really think the LSAC cares a lot about the order of the games and of the choices too. I think it expects examinees to do the exam, for the most part, in order and to consider the choices in order as well. So, I think a lot of thought goes into designing the order of the games and of the answer choices and both of these factors promote the standardization of this exam.

ThetaX

Bronze

Post by ThetaX » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:09 pm

Order stays the same per section, probably identical. Psychometricians build the sections as a whole, lets not lose sight of this fact.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”