Cheating Story Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jacketyellow

Bronze

Cheating Story

Post by jacketyellow » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:59 pm

I took the LSAT on the morning of December 7th like everyone else. I also took the October test beforehand.

At the October test, a girl that I sat by cheated. She flipped back to previous sections (games) while the arguments section was commencing. Our proctors were the lazy type and spent most of their time reading or playing on their phones. They didn't even walk around. I didn't rat her out, but it unnerved me. She kept telling me during the break, "I have to break 170 because my GPA is low. I really want a 176!"

Alas, I didn't do as well as I could, so I wanted to take the December test. I went in the test center, and lo and behold, there she was again. She complained that she got a 173 -- by cheating, of course -- and she wanted to try again for the 176+. Of course, she sat by me because our last names both start with the same letter.

I gave her the benefit of the doubt and hoped she would not cheat. She did anyway, and, of course, the proctors didn't catch her. She told me during break, "I know I made my goal!" I didn't say anything. I just shook my head.

Am I obligated to report her? I'm not really keen on ratting someone out because I think everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt at least once, but she did it a second time! I don't know what to do. I'm not a flame, so please give me honest advice.

I'm thinking I should just let it go...

ltrego

Bronze

Re: Cheating Story

Post by ltrego » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:02 pm

jacketyellow wrote:I took the LSAT on the morning of December 7th like everyone else. I also took the October test beforehand.

At the October test, a girl that I sat by cheated. She flipped back to previous sections (games) while the arguments section was commencing. Our proctors were the lazy type and spent most of their time reading or playing on their phones. They didn't even walk around. I didn't rat her out, but it unnerved me. She kept telling me during the break, "I have to break 170 because my GPA is low. I really want a 176!"

Alas, I didn't do as well as I could, so I wanted to take the December test. I went in the test center, and lo and behold, there she was again. She complained that she got a 173 -- by cheating, of course -- and she wanted to try again for the 176+. Of course, she sat by me because our last names both start with the same letter.

I gave her the benefit of the doubt and hoped she would not cheat. She did anyway, and, of course, the proctors didn't catch her. She told me during break, "I know I made my goal!" I didn't say anything. I just shook my head.

Am I obligated to report her? I'm not really keen on ratting someone out because I think everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt at least once, but she did it a second time! I don't know what to do. I'm not a flame, so please give me honest advice.

I'm thinking I should just let it go...

I don't know if you're obligated, but I would report because these people throw off the scaling of scores.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Bronze

Post by AnonymousAlterEgoC » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 pm

Since the test is collected before the writing section, are you saying she took time away from her LR to work on her LG?

I do not think you have an obligation.

But, perhaps you should :?

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 pm

not really sure what, if anything, you could do, since she was not written up by proctors. but wow that chick is a POS.

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:30 pm

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

If it's legit cheating, then I think you should report.

ETA: No one likes being a tattle, but wow for the amount of work people put into this test, the countless hours, etc...it's just imho so unfair for the rest of us test takers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:38 pm

You would have to be a sanctimonious jerk to report her.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Bronze

Post by AnonymousAlterEgoC » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:42 pm

delusional wrote:You would have to be a sanctimonious jerk to report her.
I don't understand this position. You must be delusional. Maybe that's the point.

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm guessing there's practically no chance that they do anything to her since there won't be any way to verify your accusation, but I think you should report what happened to LSAC so they can be aware that there are proctors who aren't doing their job at your testing center.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ltrego

Bronze

Post by ltrego » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Don't most testing rooms have cameras? Either way, it's worth reporting on the off-chance they can do something about it. If they can't do anything, no additional harm would be done by reporting.

Tyr

Bronze

Post by Tyr » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:46 pm

NYC2012 wrote:How would they even have any proof, if OP did report her? I doubt they'd do anything.
I think that is what it comes down to in this situation. What proof, beyond someone's word, is there that she cheated? I imagine it would be impossible for the LSAC to do anything.

Force J.D.'s

New

Post by Force J.D.'s » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:47 pm

There is a middle ground here, one where you find a way to report anonymously (I am not sure how though).

If you formally and openly reported her as cheating ("I, _____, saw Dumb Chick cheating"), you could get dragged into it and seen with speculation of cheating too, leaving LSAC wondering two things:
1) what you are doing talking to someone else about the test
and
2) Sounds like you were "looking at her test booklet."

If you care still, maybe anonymously drop a line to LSAC?

But nonetheless, as you balance the moral dilemmas of ratting someone out, holding them liable, and seeking justice, you have yourself a killer personal statement.

edit: scratch all that stuff above...just ignore it, too little time in the world, the laws of "ball dont lie" may come back to bite her as she gets back applications.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Force J.D.'s wrote:2) Sounds like you were "looking at her test booklet."
This.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blackbirdfly

Bronze

Post by blackbirdfly » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:11 pm

anon sequitur wrote: I think you should report what happened to LSAC so they can be aware that there are proctors who aren't doing their job at your testing center.
That's a consideration.

Wrong Marx

New

Post by Wrong Marx » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:22 pm

I was expecting to read a story about breaktime restroom sex at the LSAT. I feel cheated (and dirty).

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:27 pm

camelthing wrote:
I don't understand this position. You must be delusional. Maybe that's the point.
The level of harm inflicted to any individual is below the point that is has any value. In order to correct a victim-less crime, people are suggesting OP ruin someone's life on the basis of what he deems, with limited relevant information, to be an unjustifiable wrongful act on her part. Does that give you a better understanding of the position?

FluffMonster

Gold

Post by FluffMonster » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:29 pm

How would you know this if you weren't looking at her booklet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:31 pm

delusional wrote:
camelthing wrote:
The level of harm inflicted to any individual is below the point that is has any value. In order to correct a victim-less crime, people are suggesting OP ruin someone's life on the basis of what he deems, with limited relevant information, to be an unjustifiable wrongful act on her part. Does that give you a better understanding of the position?
Cool. So you have no problem with someone who steals $100 from a bank?

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:32 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:
anon sequitur wrote: I think you should report what happened to LSAC so they can be aware that there are proctors who aren't doing their job at your testing center.
That's a consideration.

yeah, actually, not a bad idea. i'm sure LSAC does have an interest in maintaining the integrity of the test by not having crappy proctors who allow this sort of thing - you could frame it that way, leaving out the identity of the cheater entirely and making it about the proctors. if LSAC then wants more info re: shithead as result, it's on them.

cheating of this nature shouldn't be too hard to spot if proctors are doing their jobs what with the huge numbers/shapes on the pages... on saturday, one of ours was just continuously doing rounds, while the other was watching the whole room from a seat up front. doesn't sound like two is standard, but one alone should be able to make it fairly difficult to spend any quality time with a previous section. i almost had a coronary when i caught myself about to clean up eraser marks. it boggles my mind how this cheater lucked out even once, let alone twice!
Last edited by wealtheow on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:33 pm

midwest17 wrote:
delusional wrote:
camelthing wrote:
Cool. So you have no problem with someone who steals $100 from a bank?
No problem in what context? I believe the behavior is immoral and the action is indicative of a particular personal failing, but if I had an acquaintance whom I knew stole $100 from the bank I would not report him/her.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Sounds to me like you were looking at another persons test booklet which is a big no no.

Why are you focusing on what other people are doing anyways when all that matters is your own test?

If this girl is a serial cheater then it will come back to bite her at some point. Maybe she gets away with it this time but down the road when she keeps cheating and taking shortcuts she'll get caught and face major consequences.

I seriously doubt one high score would have any effect on the curve so I don't see a point.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”