How do you handle depression during prep? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
crazyvix

New

How do you handle depression during prep?

Post by crazyvix » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:56 pm

I have been studying for nearly 3 months, scoring somewhere between 167-170 on the last couple of PTs I did. People around me all seem to be better than me, most of them could score 170 on PT even after 1/1.5 months' prep. I'm writing in Feb, I know there is still a long way to go, but I really need some confidence. Depression is killing me. How did you guys handle all these? :(

Jeffort

Gold

Re: How do you handle depression during prep?

Post by Jeffort » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:59 pm

That doesn't sound like a test prep issue if it is more than just being frustrated about hitting a score plateau and upset some people are scoring a few points higher, especially since your score range is super high in almost the top 3%.

If you really mean depression rather than frustration, you should consult a medical/psychological professional.
Last edited by Jeffort on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Jeffort wrote:That doesn't sound like a test prep issue if it is more than just being frustrated about hitting a score plateau and upset some people are scoring a few points higher, especially since your score range is super high in almost the top 3%.

If you really mean depression rather than frustration, you should consult a medical/psychological professional.
Well more of frustration I guess... It's just I was expecting something more after 3 months' study, because most people actually score really good after 3 months' prep..

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:23 pm

crazyvix wrote:I have been studying for nearly 3 months, scoring somewhere between 167-170 on the last couple of PTs I did. People around me all seem to be better than me, most of them could score 170 on PT even after 1/1.5 months' prep. I'm writing in Feb, I know there is still a long way to go, but I really need some confidence. Depression is killing me. How did you guys handle all these? :(
Got to hang tough, my friend. Try your best not to lose confidence. You're going to get lots of bumps and bruises along the way through LSAT and law school. Try and at least start each day new fresh, even if you had a crappy day the day before.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hawkeye10

New

Post by hawkeye10 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:23 pm

crazyvix wrote:
Jeffort wrote:That doesn't sound like a test prep issue if it is more than just being frustrated about hitting a score plateau and upset some people are scoring a few points higher, especially since your score range is super high in almost the top 3%.

Well more of frustration I guess... It's just I was expecting something more after 3 months' study, because most people actually score really good after 3 months' prep..
1. 167 - 170 are very good scores compared to most of the people who take it. Median at 4 T14 schools last year was less than 169.

2. People are more likely to talk about studying if they managed to do it in a short amount of time. There are people on here that have been studying for six months to a year.

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:31 pm

hawkeye10 wrote: People are more likely to talk about studying if they managed to do it in a short amount of time.
I see an LR answer here lol. but yeah, thanks a lot for encourgement!

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:55 am

Grey Goose and cranberry

steel_shot

Bronze

Post by steel_shot » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:12 pm

I've been in that situation before. I think you just need to take a few days off to rest, then do some serious review and continue on. You're scoring well, but that barrier is tough to break.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mauve.Dino

Bronze

Post by Mauve.Dino » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:39 pm

Having really suffered from depression on-and-off for most of my life, I can tell you that the best thing to do is to be realistic. So what if other people are seemingly catching on faster? Maybe it takes you a bit longer; it doesn't mean you're an idiot. Everyone learns differently. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true. To help with the frustration/depression, try exercising (seriously, running is the best). Take a night off before you burn out. Above all, believe that you're gonna tear apart that test, because there's no reason you can't. Don't let it defeat you. Finally, if you need to delay taking the test, it's not like the world's gonna crumble. Delay. Even if you decide to take the test and you don't do as well as you had hoped, there are so many HYS people here who sat the test two or three times. It's not an all-or-nothing situation.

Good luck! You'll be fine :)

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Grow a pair

smc44

New

Post by smc44 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:09 pm

crazyvix wrote:I have been studying for nearly 3 months, scoring somewhere between 167-170 on the last couple of PTs I did. People around me all seem to be better than me, most of them could score 170 on PT even after 1/1.5 months' prep. I'm writing in Feb, I know there is still a long way to go, but I really need some confidence. Depression is killing me. How did you guys handle all these? :(

If you're getting scores between 167-170, I'd say you are doing a lot of things right. Look at your weaker areas and focus on those.

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:52 pm

louierodriguez wrote:Grey Goose and cranberry
I guess I'll pass cranberry, GG sounds not bad ;)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”