Ive given up on a perfect game score will skip hardest game Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Ive given up on a perfect game score will skip hardest game

Post by MiracleNeeded » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:06 pm

This late in the game I'm thinking I will continually go for 3 perfect games rather than going for all four and failing as miserably as I have been.

Anyone else taking this route? Playing all four causes me to rush through easier games I should dominate on. I've scored very low most of the time and gained 4 points on games today by using this strategy. Might use it for reading as well. My scores there are pretty good but have been volatile lately. Getting 20 across the board will put me where I want to be scorewise which is the mid 160s and no lower than 160.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Re: Ive given up on a perfect game score will skip hardest game

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:08 pm

FWIW, I got -9 on LG my first LSAT and I still scored a 162. If you can get three games perfectly, you'll be in better shape than I was.

fnma2jd

Bronze

Post by fnma2jd » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:49 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:This late in the game I'm thinking I will continually go for 3 perfect games rather than going for all four and failing as miserably as I have been.

Anyone else taking this route? Playing all four causes me to rush through easier games I should dominate on. I've scored very low most of the time and gained 4 points on games today by using this strategy. Might use it for reading as well. My scores there are pretty good but have been volatile lately. Getting 20 across the board will put me where I want to be scorewise which is the mid 160s and no lower than 160.
I went from ~-8/-9 to ~-0/-1 in one week by printing out all games from last 15-20 PTs (maybe more, I don't remember exactly but these are the most relavent) and going through them 4 at a time as if it the test. time or untimed really doesn't matter. At the end of each score the section using 7sage or lsatqa. If you got anything wrong or if it was one that you felt you brute forced through, print out that game out to and set it aside. Even if you only got one wrong or if the one wrong was because of something stupid. Go through all games and then take the stack you printed out and repeat. Do this until you have nothing left.

As you go through the questions, ask your self why they would ask this question. I started to noticed as I went through that the questions weren't random, they were related to some inference that I was indirectly supposed to make. An example would be if its a grouping game with max 3 in a group and the rules are "F must always be with M" and "G must always be with H". If the question is who cannot be together, it usually involves one out of each of those groups. or if ordering it'll have to do with follower and leaders.

When I finished this I did a PT and got my first ever -0. Every game felt like a game I had already done, just with different game pieces and a small variations.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:37 pm

If you can do 3 games perfectly in 35 minutes, you can do the same for 4 games. While settling for 3 might maximize your score on this test, it won't maximize your score overall.

Zensack

Bronze

Post by Zensack » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:08 pm

I worked 3, marked letter of the day on 1 and got a 168. I started doing them, skipped one that looked hard (2nd iirc), then continued to the end. I wouldn't recommend reading all 4, then picking one to skip, then starting your work because time is obviously an issue if you're doing this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KDLMaj

Bronze

Post by KDLMaj » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:00 am

You're overlooking another way to go about this.

For kicks, go take a time section and use a digital timer to record how long it takes you to do each question. (Just write down start/finish times and do the math later). Then find the 4 questions you spent the longest on and add up how long they took you to do. Then add up the points you got from them.

Odds are you're going to find that the vast majority of your questions are done quickly, but there are 4 or 5 questions that are taking up a ridiculous amount of time. It's not uncommon for people to realize they're blowing 8-11 minutes on just 4 questions- most of which they aren't getting right. And most people actually know within 10-15 seconds that a question isn't going to go well. Practice ditching out fast. When I do a game section, I actively scan the questions looking for what I can answer fast. If a question feels like it'll take more than a few seconds, I go right on to the next one. I don't bother with those until all of the easy/fast questions are answered in that game. Then I can start making smart decisions about whether a question is worth my time or not.

If you really want to speed up, don't skip an entire game. That's silly- unless you're skipping it because you really don't know how to approach it. Skip one question per game- the one that seems it'll be the most time consuming. THAT is how you get ahead. Skipping a question because it happened to be on a particular page makes no sense. Skipping a question because it's going to take more time than it's worth is the real strategy.

Now if it turns out that your real issue is you're blowing too much time on game setups (make sure you record the time you spend setting up your games during timed sections- that is vital information to have during the review), then that's a different problem to tackle. You just need to learn how to ID your game types and to look for the stock deductions you see in each game type.

It's also possible your real issue is that your problem is about difficulty- there's one game that's too challenging for you to do well on. That won't be solved by skipping individual questions. Going back to the games you're skipping- if you can do them untimed then that's not likely the issue.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:04 am

Take velocity lsat games course asap.

meegee

Bronze

Post by meegee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:56 pm

LG can be mastered. It is perhaps the easiest section on the LSAT to learn/improve. How many games have you practiced? Repetition alone will get you quite far. Paired with adequate review, you are looking at -0/-1 per section.

LG should be viewed as free points. They're cute little puzzles and this might sound a little fucked up, but I kinda miss doing logic games. They're like sudoku but cooler.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:47 am

I have to agree with many of the others above -- especially the comment immediately above mine: Logic Games has every potential to be a "free points" section.

Drill these puppies. Try this:

Print out 20 games. Divide them into stack A (10) and B (10).

Work through all of A, and record the time it takes you to complete EACH game.
Now literally, work through A again, start to finish, and record times -- and don't allow yourself to choose an answer based on memory -- force yourself to eliminate all wrong answers.

Next day, do the same with B. The day after that, remark your A section again, and your B section.

Move onto new games for a new cycle.

Getting great at logic games is about the process. Are there hard questions? Well, yes... And no :-/ if you are diagramming correctly (I.e., clearly, and maximizing ALL inferences BEFORE you begin answering Q's), there are only time-consuming questions (but nothing that should take longer than 60 seconds).

If you feel this 3-section method is the only way for you, then do what you've gotta do :-) but Logic Games ARE doable under time (even way under time) once your diagramming and initial inferencing is at "instinct" level :-)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:35 am

Why not just try to improve your speed? Try to complete them in 30 minutes instead of 35. Refer back to 7sage when needed if you're having problems on your setup. Eat enough fiber, get 8 hours of sleep, avoid stress....but seriously you can handle it. Don't second-guess yourself and think that other people are capable of handling the LG section but you can't.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:43 am

You can get a -0!!!! I went from -16 to consistent -0/-1.

The secret is get so good at the very easy games that you can do them in under 5 minutes. There are usually two easy games on a test so you should be half way done with the section at around 11 minutes. Now you have 25 minutes for 2 games. With practice you will be able to go at least -2/-3 I guarantee it.

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Your strategy is something I definitely considered for RC. I pushed myself harder and ultimately I was able to finish all 4 passages on the sections. The end score wasn't stellar, but it definitely would've been poorer had I not completed the last one. Keep at it dude, don't give up just yet, keep pushing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”