What is December disadvantage? Reasonable increase for 1 mo? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Nicolena.

Bronze

What is December disadvantage? Reasonable increase for 1 mo?

Post by Nicolena. » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:45 am

How many hrs a day would you need to study for a substantial increase of +10. I understand the basics of the test. I'm still fine tuning a bit on accuracy and speed. No issues with lg -0, avg RC -8. My main problem is LR. Can I still get a decent increase with only one month left before December?

Also, what is the December disadvantage? What would be the difference between a December scoring and a February scoring?

Thanks!

jordan15

Bronze

Re: What is December disadvantage? Reasonable increase for 1 mo?

Post by jordan15 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:32 am

If your average RC is -8 and LR is worse than that, then just work on "fine tuning" the accuracy first. You're scoring way too low to be worrying about speed.

For example, if you slowed down on RC to the point that you could complete only 3 passages in 35 minutes with -0 or -1 accuracy and marked C for every answer for the last passage, you would have a higher score than -8.

While studying LR, work on understanding the material so that you can complete an untimed section with -0 to 1 accuracy. Continue to "drill" like that and come test day if your time is still slow you are better off completing 3/4s of the questions correctly and guessing on the rest. Hopefully after taking so much time to answer each question thoughtfully your time will naturally get better.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:42 am

You really think we are going to be able to tell you exactly how long to study to see a ten point increase?

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:48 am

Clearly wrote:You really think we are going to be able to tell you exactly how long to study to see a ten point increase?
No. Mainly, I was just wondering if seeing a substantial increase is possible within a one month period. I sort of went on a question rant. Sorry for the confusion.

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:15 am

You're average test score is not going up 10 points in 1 month unless you've barely even studied for the test.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:54 am

Nicolena. wrote:
Clearly wrote:You really think we are going to be able to tell you exactly how long to study to see a ten point increase?
No. Mainly, I was just wondering if seeing a substantial increase is possible within a one month period. I sort of went on a question rant. Sorry for the confusion.
Did you get the Powerscore or Manhattan LR book, read the entire thing, do all of the drills, and then reread the relevant section for each question that you get wrong on a PT? If you haven't done this yet, you should withdraw from December and not take the LSAT until you do this. Getting good at LR will also help a little with your RC skills.

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Nicolena. wrote:
No.

Unless you get yourself a great tutor (someone who can clearly tell the mistakes you're making and know how to fix them properly and quickly), you study long-fucking hours drilling and instilling concepts into your mind, and you're absolutely real with yourself.

toshiroh

Bronze

Post by toshiroh » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:24 pm

magickware wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:
No.

Unless you get yourself a great tutor (someone who can clearly tell the mistakes you're making and know how to fix them properly and quickly), you study long-fucking hours drilling and instilling concepts into your mind, and you're absolutely real with yourself.
I wouldn't say it's not possible, but it's not at all likely. And I'm sure this has been asked a million times and people have said the same constant drivel over and over. Use the search button

aesth24

Bronze

Post by aesth24 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:33 pm

For most people it's probably unlikely, but it has been done.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:47 pm

aesth24 wrote:For most people it's probably unlikely, but it has been done.
This. Anecdotally, I know it's happened. But I've also talked with a ton of people who had this as a goal, and it usually doesn't pan out. 2 months makes it more likely, possibly bordering on likely if you prep properly, depending on where you started and where you're losing points.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:57 pm

What would be the difference between a December scoring and a February scoring?
For most law schools it doesn't matter. But Boalt and Chicago make it clear that the earlier bird gets the worm, other things being equal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”