Deciding not to retake? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Domke

New

Deciding not to retake?

Post by Domke » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:48 pm

If you are like me you are sick of seeing these retake threads but I really cannot make up my mind.

I started studying way back in June. One month before the October LSAT I was averaging around 163. The few weeks leading up to it I had a breakthrough and was averaging 166, with an outlying 172.

On test day I didn't have any major screw ups so I stopped studying for the month of October. Than I got my result, I missed a lot on the difficult LG section going -12 and ended up with a 163. Originally my plan was to retake unless I got above a 165 so I immediately signed up for December.

In the last week I started reading the LSAT trainer. I have take two PT's getting a 160 and 162. I don't know what it is but I don't feel like I can get back to my pre October level. LG and RC is the same but LR is just not clicking. My brain seems to have lost the ability to identify flaws.

According to https://www.manhattanlsat.com/blog/tag/ ... ke-advice/ 60% of people in my score range see an increase, with an average of 2 points. Even if I was able to add 2 points would that really make a difference? According to BP compass (the only program that seems to factor date of application) it is a wash.

So the questions remains. Should I retake?

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Re: Deciding not to retake?

Post by aboutmydaylight » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:15 pm

If you missed 12 on LG you absolutely need to retake man. That is very improvable if you give yourself enough time. You may want to skip December though.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:31 pm

A kid who posted during last year's cycle got a bunch of sticker offers from the lower T1 with a 164 and after a 167 on a retake, he got into Texas on a 2/3 scholarship. Any improvement that you can make is well worth it even if you have to sit out a cycle.

LG is also very learnable. Get that down to -3 or better and profit.

Also, I missed a cycle to retake twice and I improved from my original score by 6 points. I went from looking at lower T14 with 45-60k to probably deciding between Harvard, a Butler, or a full ride at a lower T14. A few points makes a hell of a difference.

Best of luck!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:07 pm

you should retake, and if you choose to do so in Dec then you should just maintain your current level on LR and RC (via taking and reviewing PT's) and focus exclusively on LG between now and then.

Domke

New

Post by Domke » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:40 pm

:shock: I screwed that up. I went -12 on LR not LG :oops: . I got -2 on LG.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:45 pm

Domke wrote::shock: I screwed that up. I went -12 on LR not LG :oops: . I got -2 on LG.
that makes more sense. 163 with -12 LG sounded pretty unusual. anyway, maybe spend some time trying to tighten up your LG accuracy, but mostly drill LR. ignore RC (other than reviewing PT's)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”