Thoughts on retaking Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
WM1928

New

Thoughts on retaking

Post by WM1928 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:34 am

Hey guys,
I just got back my scores from the October LSAT and I wanted to get your thoughts on somethings. I ended up getting an acceptable score--I'm not going to Harvard with it, but I'm also not applying to Harvard. Most of the schools I'm applying to have an average LSAT score between 156-163 and I scored a 158. However, my GPA is a 3.64 (at W&M, a school known for not inflating), which is just above the average GPA for admission to these schools. I've also worked 25-30 a week throughout college and have several extracurricular activities.

My concern is that I did really poorly on the logic games section. It was my first section after break and I kind of panicked on it, so I did really, really badly. Over 3/4 of the questions I missed were on logic games, but I only missed 2-3 on all the other sections.

With all this, do you think I should retake the LSAT? I think the logic games section will show a definite weakness in my abilities, but the other four sections should speak to my strengths.

gatorchomps

New

Re: Thoughts on retaking

Post by gatorchomps » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:43 am

LG is the most learnable part of the LSAT, which means that if you drill, drill, drill, carefully review the answers, and develop a strategy for different game types, you will see your score improve.

You shouldn't settle for a score that likely won't give you a decent scholarship. Why settle for something that's just okay? :)

Thethoughtcounts176

New

Post by Thethoughtcounts176 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:55 am

clear situation where you'd want to retake

WM1928

New

Post by WM1928 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:55 am

gatorchomps wrote:LG is the most learnable part of the LSAT, which means that if you drill, drill, drill, carefully review the answers, and develop a strategy for different game types, you will see your score improve.

You shouldn't settle for a score that likely won't give you a decent scholarship. Why settle for something that's just okay? :)
Thanks for the response! I feel like I have drilled pretty hard. It was definitely the part I studied for the most, but I've had problems for the past year or so with it. I'm worried if I retake in December I'll have drilled so hard for the logic games that I'll end up do worse on the others and it will kind of balance out to roughly the same score (maybe 2-3 points better).

I think what I'm specifically curious about is how law schools look at your LSAT--will the breakdown matter and will doing horrendously poorly on one section say more to them than doing well on the others?

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:59 am

WM1928 wrote:
gatorchomps wrote:LG is the most learnable part of the LSAT, which means that if you drill, drill, drill, carefully review the answers, and develop a strategy for different game types, you will see your score improve.

Thanks for the response! I feel like I have drilled pretty hard. It was definitely the part I studied for the most, but I've had problems for the past year or so with it. I'm worried if I retake in December I'll have drilled so hard for the logic games that I'll end up do worse on the others and it will kind of balance out to roughly the same score (maybe 2-3 points better).

I think what I'm specifically curious about is how law schools look at your LSAT--will the breakdown matter and will doing horrendously poorly on one section say more to them than doing well on the others?

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense.
The breakdown will not matter. All that matters is your final score.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:07 pm

The thing is that those "maybe 2 or 3 points better" will make a HUGE difference in your admissions cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”