Best Introduction Book for LG Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Augy1

New

Best Introduction Book for LG

Post by Augy1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi all,

I have never studied lg before and was wondering what people on here would recommend is the best book for a beginner to become familiar with the basics of lg. Math isn't one of my strengths so I anticipate I'll be investing a lot of time and energy into lg to improve my score. I've read good things on here about blueprint's logic games book but it seems that this book is best suited for test takers already familiar with this section. Right now im leaning towards either manhattan lg or powerscore's bible, what do you think?

Thanks!

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Re: Best Introduction Book for LG

Post by iamgeorgebush » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Between PS and Manhattan, it's hard to say. I used the PS Bible, and I thought it was pretty good, although I ended up modifying a some of the techniques and incorporating other techniques into my approach. I've heard good things about the Manhattan book as well; my study partner used it and was consistently getting -0 on LG by October. In the end, you'd probably do well to read both and create your own system based on the best parts of each.

As to which to start with, no clue.

Regarding Blueprint, I haven't used it so can't say.

I encourage you to check out the stickies for advice like this.

The LSAT Trainer

Silver

Post by The LSAT Trainer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi there --

The mods would prefer I not post links, but I just wanted to let you know that on my website I have a free intro chapter on LG, as well as a bunch of free infographics, etc that explain the basics of the section. This info will go along fine w/Powerscore, Blueprint, or whatever else you choose, so if you'd like, please check it out -- HTH --

Mike

bobtheblob916

New

Post by bobtheblob916 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Powerscore is definitely solid as an introduction. I can't speak on Manhattan, because I didn't need it (I was getting 0s after PowerScore), but I'm sure it's very good. Dunno how good it is an introduction, though.

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:27 pm

I've read both and they are mostly interchangeable. I think PowerScore is better as an intro if you are particularly nervous about/crappy at games - Manhattan kind of assumes you know certain things intuitively, whereas PowerScored walks you through some steps/inferences that [hopefully] become more "no sh** Sherlock" later on once you're more familiar. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:53 pm

There is also the new Blueprint LG book, which in my opinion is better than PS LG. However you rly can't go wrong with choosing one of the four following book options:

PS LG
BP LG
Manhattan LG
The LSAT Trainer

If you are however, looking for the cheapest way to study for the LSAT, I would recommend The LSAT Trainer. It covers LR and RC in addition to LG.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Augy1 wrote: I've read good things on here about blueprint's logic games book but it seems that this book is best suited for test takers already familiar with this section.
It's definitely not designed that way - we start out with the very basics (conditional logic) and build from there.

If you have any questions about it, shoot me a PM!

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:21 am

In my experience, Powerscore for LG was far more "technical" than the Manhattan counterpart. It served to break games into parts and defuse them like a bomb, whereas Manhattan went about it differently...I don't know if that makes any sense but that's what I felt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amb89

New

Post by amb89 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:53 am

i used trainer for my first time ever studying LG, and i average 0 to 3 wrong. I liked it

mellow

Bronze

Post by mellow » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:11 am

Powerscore LG Bible for me. After finishing the book and about a week of drilling by type all games from 1-38, I've been consistently getting -0 with the occasional -1 from misbubbling/misreading. While I did eventually develop my own methods, most are adapted from the LG Bible. I can finish LG sections with ~10 minutes to spare now.

LR Bible on the other hand...

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:01 am

Most people prefer the Powerscore LG Bible as a first book. I found Manhattan LG to be infinitely more valuable in terms of achieving mastery, but I went through the bible first, so I'd recommend both.

The LSAT Trainer would also be a good book to start with, although it covers all three sections.

esse est percipi

New

Post by esse est percipi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Manhattan is much better. The PS explanation of grouping games is very lacking in comparison. Manhattan also gives better strategies for in/out and sequencing games.

But, you should still probably read them both if for no other reason than to just become more familiar with the logic of logic games.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”