PT 46 LR 14 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mdog3000

New

PT 46 LR 14

Post by mdog3000 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi guys,

I dont have the explanations for this test and I dont understand the distinction between these two answer choices.

I dont understand the difference between "any" and "only" in Answer choices B and D. Answer choice B is correct.

Thanks
Last edited by mdog3000 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Re: PT 46 LR 14

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:22 pm

First, I'd go ahead and delete the text of the question and the answer choices. I realize that's not the entire question, but you might be running afoul of copyright issues, and we can just look up the question ourselves.

As to the question, 'B is saying that if a country has the capacity to single-handedly save a neighboring country, then they should do it. 'D' is saying that IF a neighboring country is going to step in and save someone, they should only do it if they can manage it single-handedly.

Note that unlike 'B', 'D' doesn't say anything about whether that stronger country SHOULD step in and save the weaker one.

splitcity

New

Re: PT 46 LR 14

Post by splitcity » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:46 pm

"Only" automatically excludes all nations that don't fall within this particular category.

"Any" doesn't exclude anyone but places an obligation on the nations within a certain group.

Because the stimulus doesn't emphasize that Germany alone and no other nations should take that action, you should avoid "only".

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”