Assumes the very conclusion it is trying to justify Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
duallys21

New

Assumes the very conclusion it is trying to justify

Post by duallys21 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:56 pm

I have noticed that this is a frequent answer choice for flaw questions. I have done about 30 PTs and have never seen it be the correct answer, anyone have an example of this being correct? Also the one that is something like 'improperly relies on the opinion of an expert', that one pops up a lot and never seems to be correct.

Hotguy

Bronze

Re: Assumes the very conclusion it is trying to justify

Post by Hotguy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:25 pm

I can only remember this one, since I did it the other day.
PT 14 S4 #10 circular reasoning.

bilbaosan

Bronze

Post by bilbaosan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:07 pm

duallys21 wrote:Also the one that is something like 'improperly relies on the opinion of an expert', that one pops up a lot and never seems to be correct.
This one was correct in one question in PT40s where the team of computer experts told the university that securing their system from the hackers should be the top priority for the university.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:45 pm

bilbaosan wrote:
duallys21 wrote:Also the one that is something like 'improperly relies on the opinion of an expert', that one pops up a lot and never seems to be correct.
This one was correct in one question in PT40s where the team of computer experts told the university that securing their system from the hackers should be the top priority for the university.
"Assumes the very conclusion it is trying to justify" is circular reasoning. The only time you should select it is if you can underline two sentences that say exactly the same thing. I don't have a question cite, but there's one about Cotrell being an average writer that is circular. There's also one about a magazine that's for smart people.

And bilbao's exactly right on the expert one - you need an expert talking about a field in which they are not an expert, and the computer experts/hospital administrator one is exactly the example I'm thinking of.

bilbaosan

Bronze

Post by bilbaosan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:46 pm

bp shinners wrote: And bilbao's exactly right on the expert one - you need an expert talking about a field in which they are not an expert, and the computer experts/hospital administrator one is exactly the example I'm thinking of.
You're correct, it was the hospital executive, not the university. The question is from the June 2007 LSAT, S2 Q17. And this was the only question with such valid answer between PT25 and 63.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”