smoking weed at night during study period Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Mojosodope

Silver

Re: smoking weed at night during study period

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Cooleytruthsayer wrote:Do what you got to do, but keep two things in mind.

1. Many employers (even legal) require drug tests and not all are urine. I have taken hair tests that go back several years. It may be a good idea to dry out and shave the head a few times.

2. It's hard enough to explain convictions before law school, but if you have one WHILE in law school it can look a LOT worse to character and fitness

and perhaps the WORST PART:

3. If caught with drugs while on student loans, you can get kicked off them for awhile (if not all together)
and unless you have $100K stuffed in your pillow that can ruin any odds of even paying for it.
i think everyone knows the risks of smoking pot. :roll:

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Mojosodope wrote:

1. Many employers (even legal) require drug tests and not all are urine. I have taken hair tests that go back several years. It may be a good idea to dry out and shave the head a few times.

2. It's hard enough to explain convictions before law school, but if you have one WHILE in law school it can look a LOT worse to character and fitness

3. If caught with drugs while on student loans, you can get kicked off them for awhile (if not all together)
and unless you have $100K stuffed in your pillow that can ruin any odds of even paying for it.
"knowing of" and truly grasping aren't always the same thing. "yeah man, but like your not factoring in all the times I never got caught, I'm too smart and stuff to get caught" (an actual quote from someone who now has a felony on their record-mind you it was for a DUI and not pot, but same idea applies)

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Cooleytruthsayer wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

"knowing of" and truly grasping aren't always the same thing. "yeah man, but like your not factoring in all the times I never got caught, I'm too smart and stuff to get caught" (an actual quote from someone who now has a felony on their record-mind you it was for a DUI and not pot, but same idea applies)
Smoking pot is different than drinking and driving, your way more likely to get caught and prosecuted for one than the other.

Also, where the hell do you live that a DUI is a felony?

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:00 pm

Cooleytruthsayer wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

Information about potential legal consequences of getting busted for illegal drug possession or other illegal drug crimes has nothing to do with OPs specific question or situation.

It just sounds a bit preachy to throw that general information into the thread when it is only tangentially related to the subject and not at all relevant to or helpful with OPs situation. It would make a fine addition to a thread such as "Should I quit doing drugs now that I've decided to apply to law school? Pros and Cons please."

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:21 am

Last edited by Kimikho on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:23 am

Mojosodope wrote:
Cooleytruthsayer wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

Smoking pot is different than drinking and driving, your way more likely to get caught and prosecuted for one than the other.

Also, where the hell do you live that a DUI is a felony?
Yes and no to the more likely part
And if it's not a felony then fine (that part wasn't on the bar) but it still ended poorly

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:25 am

Jeffort wrote:
Cooleytruthsayer wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

Information about potential legal consequences of getting busted for illegal drug possession or other illegal drug crimes has nothing to do with OPs specific question or situation.

It just sounds a bit preachy to throw that general information into the thread when it is only tangentially related to the subject and not at all relevant to or helpful with OPs situation. It would make a fine addition to a thread such as "Should I quit doing drugs now that I've decided to apply to law school? Pros and Cons please."
Let it be preachy. Answer yes, stop smoking pot. Cons-as listed.
(has plenty to do with it)
But do what you want OP. You probably won't get busted......(today)......it's your call.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:27 am

Remember there are states where recreational/medical marijuana use is decriminalized.

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:32 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Remember there are states where recreational/medical marijuana use is decriminalized.
True. Pretty sure we're not talking medical here, but good point to the recreational.
-My post is if not applicable to that I guess.

For what it's worth the fed can (and does) still make a few busts each year in "legal" areas just to be dicks, and employers can still test for it in said hair if you get a job offer later in an area that allows that.

But people who want to toke with toke no matter what. Pass the Doritos officer!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 am

jenjen1234 wrote:Ok so I know this has been asked before but my situation is a little bit different... I have ADHD and take addy, which helps me study hardcore, but it also messes with my sleep ALOT. Anyways, I am also a pot smoker but not crazy i mean i smoke every day but usually at night... the pot helps me sleep, which is very helpful. What do you guys think about studying all day and then smoking at night just so that I can sleep? I am taking the October exam and I am really worried. I just quit recently, but I cant sleep at night like AT ALL which messes me up during the day because then I am super super tired and then end up not taking my addy and then not studying... will it affect my LSAT abilities that badly? or would it be stupid to quit this late in the game? I do not study high... I just smoke when i finish studying for the day... will it affect me badly?
Smoking shouldn't negatively impact your LSAT score, since you're only smoking at night and not studying high.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:57 am

Cooleytruthsayer wrote: Let it be preachy. Answer yes, stop smoking pot. Cons-as listed.
But do what you want OP. You probably won't get busted......(today)......it's your call.
If OP is legally allowed to possess and consume pot and her doctor says using it to help sleep is ok for her situation based on how she responds since it's working for that, then what would your view be about what she should do? Still quit smoking pot or no?

Not trying to stir up trouble, I'm just curious about your view since your position was based purely on legal reasons/consequences as a scare tactic and you came out strong leading with it. I'm always curious about the reasons behind peoples views on controversial topics, especially with the changing tides of mj laws and peoples perceptions and views of the drug.

Sinatra

Bronze

Post by Sinatra » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:06 am

it's some boomer talk.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:21 am

Hair tests don't go back several years, unless you have absurdly long hair.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cooleytruthsayer

New

Post by Cooleytruthsayer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:32 am

Jeffort wrote:
Cooleytruthsayer wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:

purely academic since its not what the OP was asking, and at least here in Michigan you have to basically have cancer to get it.
-But if we were to go down that academic path...........cost benefit analysis I guess. Only she could decide that.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Weed and the LSAT= Oil and water

jenjen1234

New

Post by jenjen1234 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:24 pm

If anyone was wondering I decided to quit completely. I believe it helped my score very much, and I would recommend that anyone who is in a similar situation do the same. The loss of sleep is still horrible, but I think that having less sleep is better than dealing with loss of memory, focus and cognitive ability. Do I miss it? Sure I do, but quitting smoking is not just going to stop after my LSAT it is done for good. I am proud of it too. I created this post in an attempt to normalize my bad habit, which is bad on my part. Anyways happy studying everyone! December here I come T-07 days!

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:08 pm

There is a drug - clenzapine or something that works like a tranquilizer, and relaxes you at night enabling you to sleep very peacefully. I believe the psychological benefits you get from marijuana can be gotten from this other drug without the memory loss, as well as legal issues. Still, I'd imagine being drugged during the day and then at night can't be good long term. I'd speak to your doctor. I have always had issues concentrating, but did very well on the LSAT and in LS despite multitasking (TV, facebook, radio and studying all at once). It's a hyper brain functioning problem for me, not a hyperactivity problem in that I need tons of stimuli at all times. It's an issue sleeping, not because of anxiousness but because my brain never stops thinking about random shit. I need sleeping pills in order to shut my mind down for 8 hours per night, and without them I can't function academically.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Jeffort wrote:
Cooleytruthsayer wrote: Let it be preachy. Answer yes, stop smoking pot. Cons-as listed.
If OP is legally allowed to possess and consume pot and her doctor says using it to help sleep is ok for her situation based on how she responds since it's working for that, then what would your view be about what she should do? Still quit smoking pot or no?

Not trying to stir up trouble, I'm just curious about your view since your position was based purely on legal reasons/consequences as a scare tactic and you came out strong leading with it. I'm always curious about the reasons behind peoples views on controversial topics, especially with the changing tides of mj laws and peoples perceptions and views of the drug.
There are other drugs that can serve OP better. Marijuana has great medical and psychological benefits if done once in a while such as following weeks of intense studying, and before bed to unwind for the next morning. Smoking on a daily basis and developing a tolerance is trouble. There's no doubt people can function if they smoke daily, but we're talking about peak functioning, not merely above average functioning.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:11 pm

-

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:25 pm

jenjen1234 wrote:If anyone was wondering ...
congrats!

AliceAgain

New

Post by AliceAgain » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:01 am

nucky thompson wrote:-
Yes, congrats - and good luck on Saturday!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”