LR Drilling Question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Darmody

Bronze

LR Drilling Question

Post by Darmody » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:16 am

So if I'm drilling LR, let's say sufficient assumptions, and I do them in increments of 10 un-timed, what do I do once I finish all the questions? In each increment, I missed 3 on average for all the difficulty levels. I marked wrong answers (without looking at the answer) and ones I wasn't 100% sure on, and I resolved them before I checked the answers (usually got it right on 2nd try). Then, I read the explanations and understood why it was right. Now that I did all the problems, what's my next step? I still don't feel like I mastered them since I was avg. -3 on every 10 questions. Do I repeat the questions? But it's already in my memory. Or do I move on to another section, like Strengthen?

Darmody

Bronze

Re: LR Drilling Question

Post by Darmody » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:13 pm

bump

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:17 pm

Use your refined knowledge that you acquired after your review of the 30 S/A questions and drill another 30 later on; for now, I would move on to a different question type and apply the same process you used for the S/A questions.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:04 pm

Darmody wrote:So if I'm drilling LR, let's say sufficient assumptions, and I do them in increments of 10 un-timed, what do I do once I finish all the questions? In each increment, I missed 3 on average for all the difficulty levels. I marked wrong answers (without looking at the answer) and ones I wasn't 100% sure on, and I resolved them before I checked the answers (usually got it right on 2nd try). Then, I read the explanations and understood why it was right. Now that I did all the problems, what's my next step? I still don't feel like I mastered them since I was avg. -3 on every 10 questions. Do I repeat the questions? But it's already in my memory. Or do I move on to another section, like Strengthen?
You need thoroughly review each question in detail, not just make sure you understand why the correct answer is correct.

Most people don't review questions as thoroughly as they should or in the best ways for improvement. You need to look back at the entire step by step approach you applied to each question to land on the answers you selected in order to determine weaknesses, sources of errors, things you are not doing but should be doing, etc. For each question you missed you should be able to figure what went wrong in the process you applied when trying to solve it. You need to identify each of your mistakes in specific detail as to exactly what you did wrong. If your explanation for why you missed questions is frequently just 'careless mistake', you are not analyzing in detail enough, you need to determine exactly what part of the analysis you were careless with and messed up. Its important to do this type of thorough step by step review right after working a chunk of questions like 10 or so because it requires you being able to remember what you were thinking when you worked each question.

It's also important to examine whether there was a better approach you could have used for any particular question that would have helped you solve it more easily and correctly. This evaluation should also be done on difficult questions that you got correct. Just because you answered a question correctly doesn't mean you solved it correctly or in the most efficient way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”