Online Course or Private Tutor? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
hafsahmad

New

Online Course or Private Tutor?

Post by hafsahmad » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:03 pm

I haven't found anything else comparing the two, so hopefully this isn't redundant.

I took the LSAT last Feb and really screwed up. I got a 160, even though my PT average was a 170. I'm finally forcing myself to move on and take the October LSAT. (I would've liked to wait until December, but admissions are rolling, I don't want to hurt my chances by waiting until December for my app to be complete.)

There is a local course which is supposedly very good but their course is only in September, and I have to be away for the last two weeks of September. So, I'm considering either taking private tutoring or doing an online course. My budget is $1100, and I want to get the most out of it. Since I studied a lot for my last test, I'm not sure I even need a whole course starting from scratch anyway.

Should I go for an online course (thinking Blueprint or Testmasters), or should I go for a private tutor? With private tutoring, I'll only get 10% of the hours I would from an online course, but maybe those hours would be more effective?

Please help! Thanks.

Jeffort

Gold

Re: Online Course or Private Tutor?

Post by Jeffort » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Since you prepped previously (class? or self study from books?), had a PT avg of 170 and did achieve a 160 on test day, you have already learned the basics and got pretty good at applying most of it well, except for on test day of course (but 160 still shows a strong grasp of the fundamentals), a class would probably not be much help to you since it will mainly be focused on teaching everyone the stuff you already know. You need to refresh your memory of the basics, get better at applying them, and figure out your weakness in execution and focus on fixing them. A 1 on 1 tutor would be able to help you with this. In a class you won't get much if any personal 1 on 1 time for the teacher to diagnose and help you fix your particular weaknesses.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”