TestMasters Homework Supplement? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RichyD23

New

TestMasters Homework Supplement?

Post by RichyD23 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi guys,

I am currently enrolled in the TestMasters live course for the October exam.

I've found that I get through the homework relatively quickly and run out of materials to work on. I don't want to jump ahead and do the next lesson's homework, and I'm not yet at the stage in the course at which full-length supplemental PTs are advised. Further, since the TestMasters questions draw on actual LSAT questions, I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile to take a PT that isn't supplied specifically by TestMasters since I would likely encounter many of the questions I've already completed or am going to complete in the near future.

In short, I want to do more work than the course mandates, but I'm unsure as to how to do so. For reference, my strongest area is RC (-1 on diagnostic) so, for the time-being at least, I find the TestMasters RC assignments to be an ineffective use of my prep time. I would much rather focus the majority of my efforts on areas in which I can achieve far more significant gains (LR/LG.) I don't want a substitute for TestMasters, I want a supplement for the LR/LG material--practice questions that won't conflict with the course in the future, more drills, etc.

Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone been in this situation before/is in this situation? I've heard rave reviews about the PowerScore LG Bible--does it contain a lot of drill problems and practice sets? What about sources to improve LR? Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

As an additional question: when do you recommend taking full-length practice tests?

Thanks all!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: TestMasters Homework Supplement?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:48 pm

How much time are you spending on prep? If you do every homework assignment and PT they offer you'll have done every single released LSAT question. I didn't know anyone actually got through all that.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:57 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:03 am

How many PT's did your TM course give you?

calawgrl

Bronze

Post by calawgrl » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:23 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:get Blueprint for logic games, and mlsat for lr.

after drilling while reading those books, you then devote the last few weeks/months to PTs.
jaylawyer09 wrote: okay,

I'm curious to see how the Blueprint LG book is. Just ordered it, should be coming in soon.
from the responses, it looks like its engaging and fun to read.
Why are you pushing for OP to get a book you haven't even read?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RichyD23

New

Post by RichyD23 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for the responses guys!

Another quick question: does anyone know when TestMasters advises taking the PTs they supply you? When is it best to focus your energy primarily on taking timed PTs (ie. 5 weeks before the test, 3 weeks before, etc.)

Thanks again for your time.

banana$$stand

New

Post by banana$$stand » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:53 am

RichyD23 wrote:Thanks for the responses guys!

Another quick question: does anyone know when TestMasters advises taking the PTs they supply you? When is it best to focus your energy primarily on taking timed PTs (ie. 5 weeks before the test, 3 weeks before, etc.)

Thanks again for your time.

I took Testmasters to help prep for the Oct 2012 lsat. They did NOT want students prepping at ALL for the course...this is a huge mistake, and is done (in my estimation) to make the company look like they are SOLELY responsible for a huge jump from diagnostic 1 to the actual exam...I made a 17 pt jump, but was still unhappy about going in blind...sorry for the rant. As for your ?-- Finish out the course as instructed, but then take a few extra months to take PTs and improve your craft.

RichyD23

New

Post by RichyD23 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks for the response. Only thing is, the course goes up to test day (last class is three or four days before October 5th administration.) When did you take the TestMasters supplementary PTs? Do they ever tell you when to take them or are they just supplemental material that you are to take at your own discretion?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

banana$$stand

New

Post by banana$$stand » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:13 pm

yeah, they can kinda structure the course so you finish up and then take the exam shortly after...but there is not much time to take supplemental pt's (pt's other than the 4 or so diagnostics they proctor). I would recommend not taking the october admin, but rather taking the dec. one so you can spend a couple months taking full length pts.
Am i reading into your concerns correctly?

RichyD23

New

Post by RichyD23 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks again for the responses, guys.

I plan on taking the October administration and am pretty dead-set on doing so since I want to apply earlier in the cycle and because I will have less time available to prepare in the months before the December test due to class (I am still in undergrad.)

Do you have any recommendation as to when I should take those PTs they provide? Do they ever tell you or incorporate them into the class?

Thanks again man, I really appreciate you guys going out of your way to help.

banana$$stand

New

Post by banana$$stand » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:10 am

I don't really know what your schedule is like...working, school, etc. if all your time is being devoted to the lsat, you could probably plow ahead and start taking full pts before your TM classmates...maybe take one every couple days...go from there. make sure you feel comfortable with all or almost all the material before the full pts tho..could become counterproductive if you don't know how to approach the questions

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:44 am

The PTs open up after the second diagnostic from what I remember. I'd say do 2 each weekend from there on out.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:39 pm

Wouldnt submitting in Dec put OP at a disadvantage tho?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”