The LSAT and sobriety Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RobertGolddust

Bronze

The LSAT and sobriety

Post by RobertGolddust » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Last edited by RobertGolddust on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

crestor

Bronze

Re: The LSAT and sobriety

Post by crestor » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:50 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:Did anyone quit drinking to study for the LSAT? I did for about a month but I don't think it helped all that much. Does anyone think that sobriety during prep provides one with a leg up on the competition?

Currently I binge drink once a week to get my mind off the LSAT/chase random tail. It takes me a bit longer to get going on Monday but the benefit of absolutely removing my mind from the test, in my opinion, outweighs this slight disadvantage.
I do what you're currently doing twice a week and my scores have been improving. Ditto to your benefits outweighing the disadvantages. There's a difference though I believe in having fun binge drinking and BTFO. We're not freshmen anymore...

rdelaney

Bronze

Post by rdelaney » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:52 pm

I've stopped drinking aside from the occasional drink every now and then. Maybe I need to do what you two are doing because my level of enthusiasm for studying has gone down down down.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:57 pm

I can think of many reasons to quit drinking.

Neither the LSAT nor law school are among them.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

(In all seriousness, as long as it does not interfere with your study routine and you aren't drinking WHILE studying, I don't see what the problem is. You're an adult and if you want to deal with gout when you're 45, feel free. Also, make sure your hangovers don't make your early morning studying shitty either. The LSAT takes a lot of brainpower.)

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:03 pm

Last edited by RobertGolddust on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:29 pm

What has always worried me is not getting on a good sleeping schedule prior to sitting for the test. Going out and drinking a bit doesn't seem like it would help with this endeavor.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:I can think of many reasons to quit drinking.

Neither the LSAT nor law school are among them.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

(In all seriousness, as long as it does not interfere with your study routine and you aren't drinking WHILE studying, I don't see what the problem is. You're an adult and if you want to deal with gout when you're 45, feel free. Also, make sure your hangovers don't make your early morning studying shitty either. The LSAT takes a lot of brainpower.)
Gout :lol:

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:54 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:Did anyone quit drinking to study for the LSAT? I did for about a month but I don't think it helped all that much. Does anyone think that sobriety during prep provides one with a leg up on the competition?

Currently I binge drink once a week to get my mind off the LSAT/chase random tail. It takes me a bit longer to get going on Monday but the benefit of absolutely removing my mind from the test, in my opinion, outweighs this slight disadvantage.
If you're studying for law school, I think drinking is pretty important. I've heard there's a good deal of drinking in law school and the law profession, so might as well drink now.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:24 am

Last edited by RobertGolddust on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:53 am

Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:01 am

I would study during the week when I had free time at work (and after), so I didn't go out during the week. I would stay in Friday night because I would take my PTs on Saturday mornings. Then I would go out hard on Saturday night, and take Sunday off from studying to recover. Worked well for me.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:11 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:43 am

Last edited by theothercat on Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thenewguy

New

Post by thenewguy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:01 pm

If you don't need a drink after a practice test then hats off to you. I was on the grade practice test ----> go over wrong problems ----> grab a beer routine

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:45 pm

I stopped drinking pretty much entirely for 2-3 weeks before June. Did it help me study? Maybe a bit. Did it increase my own anxiety and stress and make me perform way worse on test day? Absolutely. Not worth it, do whatever you're currently doing as long as that's not getting totally blackout drunk every night.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks for the feed back, its consoling to know I'm not a crazy drunk. I have to say though, some of the responses are really amusing.

For instance:
I did, however, quit smoking weed while studying. Because 1) it's harder to moderate, and 2) it makes me dumb as hell.
If you can't swing a 170 while hammered, then you obviously are not fit to be an attorney.
If you don't need a drink after a practice test then hats off to you.

lsatyolo

Gold

Post by lsatyolo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:36 am

I wouldn't say I've "quit" I just feel limited as to nights I can go out and get dronk. I'm the kinda person who needs my 7-8 hours of sleep to be able to function and my internal clock has me waking up at like 8 everyday these days. So being up till like 3:30-4 can screw me the next day. I'm also prone to terrible hangovers which render me completely useless. I'd love to go out but I don't really need to. The one thing I'm really worried about distracting me is the upcoming football season (college and NFL) being a huge distraction on Saturdays and Sundays. I literally get all giddy thinking about it but then the feeling of butt-hurtedness sets in after I realize I'll be doing a great deal of studying on those days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:41 am

I didn't quit, but I don't drink before I study. If I have any alcohol in my system I can't read worth a shit for some reason. On the one day a week that I don't study, though, I turn up.

lsatyolo

Gold

Post by lsatyolo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:40 pm

90convoy wrote:I didn't quit, but I don't drink before I study. If I have any alcohol in my system I can't read worth a shit for some reason. On the one day a week that I don't study, though, I turn up.

Do you get "rockstar wasted"? BURR

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:14 am

Nope, but I did drink less than I probably would have otherwise. I took the LSAT fall of my senior year, so for the month before, instead of going out 2 or 3 times a weekend, I would go out 1 or maybe 2 and would never get drunk enough to get hungover or stay out past like 3. That was mostly just so I had more time to practice test instead of wasting it being hungover though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”