. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Re: RC notations. To notate? or Not to notate?

Post by Clearly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:56 pm

Personally I use 0 notation at all, I personally focus better on the passage if I'm not focusing on underlining things and such.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:01 pm

Try different techniques out and see what works best for you. There may be objectively better approaches to LG and LR, but I don't think it's as clear-cut with RC, other than the general suggestion of reading for structure. Read for structure in addition to the technique that works best for you.

For instance, I've experimented with no notation, and I didn't like it. I didn't retain much information and had to basically just re-read large portions of the passage anyway while answering the questions. I've also tried just underlining any main points, opposing viewpoints, anything suggesting author's tone/perspective, in addition to boxing key terms, and this is the approach that I think I'm best with. The other approach I've done is writing the main points next to each paragraph. The problem is that I find this approach much too time-consuming, particularly on more recent RCs - I just don't have enough time for the questions when I do this approach. While this approach may give you a deeper understanding of the passage, I say that as long as your understanding of the passage is adequate (you get the general structure, author's tone, opposing perspectives and why everyone thinks the way they do), then you can succeed. But again, do what works best.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Honestly you just have to see which method works best for you. People have success both ways. I think with more practice though you do less notating.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:18 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:56 am

I recommend annotating, but most people write out way too much when they're annotating. For each section of the passage (usually a paragraph, but sometimes more than once per paragraph), you should be describing the role of that section in relation to a viewpoint. So nothing crazy, just, "Study for bio. conc.", meaning this section is a study proving the biologist's conclusion. This will let you track the viewpoints more easily and go back when a question asks about that study and quickly find it.

This won't work best for everyone, and there are many strategies that are effective. But I've never come across a student who didn't improve by using this method, so I'd recommend trying it out.

You should also note any questions/answers, examples, or causal relationships (with a tag that says Q&A, ex., or writes out the Cause/Effect), because those will show up in the questions.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:31 pm

I notate somewhat. If there's a list of things, I'll write numbers in the margins to better find it later. If there's a clear author's opinion, I'll write A off to the side. If something seems especially important (like a turning point in the passages tone or an inference has been made) I'll underline. I don't like writing more than 1 letter notes because I feel like it breaks my focus and takes up too much time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”