How I got a perfect score on the LSAT. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
justwhisper

New

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Post by justwhisper » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:54 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:I plan to take the test and then cancel if I feel it didn't go well. Not buying the postponing method as I think just taking the real thing will be good practice in itself.
Waste of time. Why would you plan to take the LSAT more than once?

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:53 am

justwhisper wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:I plan to take the test and then cancel if I feel it didn't go well. Not buying the postponing method as I think just taking the real thing will be good practice in itself.
Not everyone can score high easily. A lot of people like me are on the fence whether to take or postpone. It is easy for all the high scorers to say "oh just postpone if you aren't ready" but for us, who have good tests and bad tests, it is a hard choice.

justwhisper

New

Post by justwhisper » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:51 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:
justwhisper wrote:
Not everyone can score high easily. A lot of people like me are on the fence whether to take or postpone. It is easy for all the high scorers to say "oh just postpone if you aren't ready" but for us, who have good tests and bad tests, it is a hard choice.
I see your point but I think you can get a good feel for how you will do by taking a bunch of preptests up until the day of the exam.

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:47 pm

justwhisper wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:
justwhisper wrote:
I see your point but I think you can get a good feel for how you will do by taking a bunch of preptests up until the day of the exam.
Thanks for missing my point

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:52 pm

justwhisper wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:
justwhisper wrote:
Unfortunately, from what I've read, past PTs are limited in usefulness. People averaging 175+ over 10+ timed PTs can see a score of sub 170 on the real thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:31 pm

sayan wrote: Unfortunately, from what I've read, past PTs are limited in usefulness. People averaging 175+ over 10+ timed PTs can see a score of sub 170 on the real thing.
People getting upper 160's can get mid-170's on the real thing, as some June takers did

hv1

Bronze

Post by hv1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 pm

ruleser wrote:
sayan wrote: Unfortunately, from what I've read, past PTs are limited in usefulness. People averaging 175+ over 10+ timed PTs can see a score of sub 170 on the real thing.
People getting upper 160's can get mid-170's on the real thing, as some June takers did
The opposite can also occur.......... scoring 160s and making a blazing comeback in the 170s

justwhisper

New

Post by justwhisper » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:07 pm

hv1 wrote:
ruleser wrote:
The opposite can also occur.......... scoring 160s and making a blazing comeback in the 170s
Yeah I mean you never know exactly how you will do on test day as many things can go wrong, but you should still be able to get a good enough idea to decide whether to cancel or not.

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:49 pm

justwhisper wrote:
hv1 wrote:
ruleser wrote:
Yeah I mean you never know exactly how you will do on test day as many things can go wrong, but you should still be able to get a good enough idea to decide whether to cancel or not.
Fair enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:47 pm

Does 120 count as a 'perfect score' as well? If so we can add some additional advice to this thread...

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:05 pm

ruleser wrote:Does 120 count as a 'perfect score' as well? If so we can add some additional advice to this thread...
Are you suggesting that people are exaggerating their scores?

SaraCoVA

New

Post by SaraCoVA » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:28 pm

JDewey wrote:
2) Pick up a good book on INFORMAL logic. I hear people saying that formal logic important, believe me, for this test INFORMAL logic is actually what you want to study. I think people are confusing the two. I am particularly fond of "Informal Logic: A handbook for critical argument" by Douglas N. Walton.

Do you have any other suggestions for informal logic?

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:55 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:
ruleser wrote:Does 120 count as a 'perfect score' as well? If so we can add some additional advice to this thread...
No, just a stupid joke.

In other news, I am closing in (hopefully) on that elusive 180 - started at 162. Now PTing 175 rather regularly. Without roommates walking in, etc., I think 180 may be near...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

-KommonOddity_

New

Post by -KommonOddity_ » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:22 pm

JDewey wrote:Thought I would give my bit of advice. I took a more holistic than most people I think.

Here are my top three bits of advice.

1) Read all different kinds of information. I would read The Economist, The Smithsonian, and Scientific American, daily. I think this is what helped the most, and reading should be a top priority. You can re-wire the neurons in your brain to better handle written words if you read all the time. Most people's brains are probably set in "T.V. Mode" and unfortunately there is no video section on the LSAT. Turn off the television, start reading dense material, this will help you across the board not just on the reading comprehension section.

2) Pick up a good book on INFORMAL logic. I hear people saying that formal logic important, believe me, for this test INFORMAL logic is actually what you want to study. I think people are confusing the two. I am particularly fond of "Informal Logic: A handbook for critical argument" by Douglas N. Walton.

3) When you are studying, figure out why each answer choice was wrong, as well as why the correct one was in fact correct. This is kind of common sense but the tediousness of doing this causes it to be often ignored.

Cheers
I've read it twice and find it to be the closest thing to understanding logic.

lawlover829

Bronze

Post by lawlover829 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:44 pm

ruleser wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:
No, just a stupid joke.

In other news, I am closing in (hopefully) on that elusive 180 - started at 162. Now PTing 175 rather regularly. Without roommates walking in, etc., I think 180 may be near...

Congrats

IHaveDietMoxie

Bronze

Post by IHaveDietMoxie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:20 am

SaraCoVA wrote:
JDewey wrote:

Do you have any other suggestions for informal logic?
Introduction to Logic by Copi and Cohen is a more comprehensive volume and has very useful exercises.

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:23 pm

officially postponed today. blah.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:54 pm

ruleser wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:
No, just a stupid joke.

how did you prep? or do you feel you are just becoming more used to the test?

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:02 pm

I am starting to predict answers more and more, but I still don't feel confident. That's why I postponed until December.

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:05 pm

So I scored a 175 the other day. My highest score yet.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:11 pm

AFAIK, except as far as bragging rights are concerned, there is little practical difference between, say, low 170's and high 170's (as far as admissions go). Does anyone know otherwise?

Also, the original point about figuring out why the answers are what they are is crucial and often overlooked. The LSAT is a standardized test. It is designed the same way every time. It asks similar questions every time. If you get a question wrong once for some reason, oops. If you get ten more questions wrong for the same reason, you're a damn fool! Fix it the first time, so it doesn't keep messing you up.

Put another way: If you take the test the same way each time, you should get pretty near the same score. The LSAT will not change for you. You have to be the one in this relationship to change.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:25 pm

tomwatts wrote:AFAIK, except as far as bragging rights are concerned, there is little practical difference between, say, low 170's and high 170's (as far as admissions go). Does anyone know otherwise?

Also, the original point about figuring out why the answers are what they are is crucial and often overlooked. The LSAT is a standardized test. It is designed the same way every time. It asks similar questions every time. If you get a question wrong once for some reason, oops. If you get ten more questions wrong for the same reason, you're a damn fool! Fix it the first time, so it doesn't keep messing you up.

Put another way: If you take the test the same way each time, you should get pretty near the same score. The LSAT will not change for you. You have to be the one in this relationship to change.
I agree with you to an extent. I think that if you've been preparing thoroughly, you shouldn't have large fluctuations. It always amazes me when people claim to be averaging in the mid-170s, for example, then talk about "bombing" one and scoring in the low 160s. I think if you're preparing well, a 2-4 pt. fluctuation is fine but anything beyond that should be cause for concern. That said, I also think that it's impossible to simulate the nervousness and anxiety of test day, and that alone can account for more than a few missed questions.

As for the point about low 170s being essentially the same as high 170s from an admissions standpoint, I think that the general consensus is that there is a significant difference with each point increase up until about 175-176. At that point, you're above almost every schools 75 percentile anyhow (save for Yale and maybe Harvard), so any point beyond that is pretty much for bragging purposes only--although I'm inclined to believe a 180 is worth a least a little boost.

Kulax22

Bronze

Post by Kulax22 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:29 pm

I'd be interested in hearing from 180s about stress and health tips. Even if you are consistently acing the PTs, you must be stressed the real thing won't show your "true" performance.

How to stay sane but really focused and energized? How to keep positive and confident without letting your guard slip?

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:33 pm

I've gotten in a good routine where I wake up early, eat and hit the coffee two hours before my test, and then take the test. I am trying to do this everyday so when test day comes around it is just like another practice test.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:06 pm

allison34363 wrote:
ruleser wrote:
mickeymouse4509 wrote:
Last edited by ruleser on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”