How I got a perfect score on the LSAT. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
justwhisper

New

Re: How I got a perfect score on the LSAT.

Post by justwhisper » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:00 pm

let me clarify: like I mean they are too generic. sure they may get you to a 160 but I don't see a 170 happening with their methods.

allison34363

New

Post by allison34363 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:52 pm

justwhisper wrote:
Scythron wrote:
allison34363 wrote:
esperanzax wrote:I took a Kaplan course and it was the biggest waste of money EVER. I wish I could get it back..Grrr :evil:
tls is known for kaplan hating. I honestly don't see what is so bad about their course.
Their teaching methods are mediocre but their course books (Mastery, Pacing, Endurance) are nothing short of phenomenal.
LSAT prep needs to be pretty custom tailored to the person's strengths and weaknesses and this is why courses like these fail horribly.
This forum is the exception. Sure many here can just learn the strategies themselves and so they criticize prep courses, but in reality prep courses help a lot of people get the score they need, even if it isn't a 180.

justwhisper

New

Post by justwhisper » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:54 am

They are way too expensive too. $1500??? I think people just take their diagnostic and absolutely freak out because they score so low. If they just devoted some time to self study and learning the test then they could score high without the course.

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:14 pm

60 days left, who is considering rescheduling?

ag12

New

Post by ag12 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:32 pm

I would take a course solely for the simulated practice tests. I self studied and improved my score dramatically, but had trouble simulating testing conditions. I think this was a big reason I scored quite a bit lower than my average on practice tests.

Also, to address an earlier post, I have a friend who cold tested at 162 and hit 180 on the real thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:22 pm

ag12 wrote:I would take a course solely for the simulated practice tests. I self studied and improved my score dramatically, but had trouble simulating testing conditions. I think this was a big reason I scored quite a bit lower than my average on practice tests.

Also, to address an earlier post, I have a friend who cold tested at 162 and hit 180 on the real thing.
Well one good thing about Kaplan is that since there are so many centers (at least around here) and so many classes, you can go to any class you want (just call and ask for a class scheduled for a test and tell them you want go--you can do this at any Kaplan center). I'm currently doing a PT every week, and since I'm in Kaplan they are all going to be proctored five section tests. This (along with fresh copies of all the books) is the only reason I took them up and their guarantee and repeated the course (I don't go to any of the classes).

justwhisper

New

Post by justwhisper » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:43 am

goodolgil wrote:
ag12 wrote:I would take a course solely for the simulated practice tests. I self studied and improved my score dramatically, but had trouble simulating testing conditions. I think this was a big reason I scored quite a bit lower than my average on practice tests.

This (along with fresh copies of all the books) is the only reason I took them up and their guarantee and repeated the course (I don't go to any of the classes).
That is such a great guarantee. If their methods fail you the first time, then feel free to use them again the second time no charge!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:13 pm

justwhisper wrote:
goodolgil wrote:

This (along with fresh copies of all the books) is the only reason I took them up and their guarantee and repeated the course (I don't go to any of the classes).
That is such a great guarantee. If their methods fail you the first time, then feel free to use them again the second time no charge!
I'm talking about the complete set of all preptest questions.

Most other companies do the same thing, but still make you pay for the books. So Kaplan wins out there.

justwhisper

New

Post by justwhisper » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:43 am

goodolgil wrote:
justwhisper wrote:
goodolgil wrote:

I'm talking about the complete set of all preptest questions.

Most other companies do the same thing, but still make you pay for the books. So Kaplan wins out there.
You realize you can buy all the preptests from lsac for a fraction of the cost?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:54 am

How do you take a fraction of $0?

EmVan

New

Post by EmVan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:05 pm

goodolgil wrote:How do you take a fraction of $0?
I think he meant that buying the PTs from LSAC cost a fraction of the amount that you pay to register for the prep course. The books are "free" in so much as you've pretty much already paid for them trough the course fee, no?

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:09 pm

What's great about Kaplan, though, is how well-organized all those questions are. Sure, you can buy all the PT's and save hundreds of dollars, but having books that are tailored to fixing any problem you have with a specific type of question is awesome. Ranking the difficulty, explaining the answers, etc.

If I had to pay for my Kaplan class, I wouldn't have taken it. That price tag is just way too much, but those books are amazing.

philip.platt

New

Post by philip.platt » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:23 pm

mickeymouse4509 wrote:60 days left, who is considering rescheduling?
is rescheduling free?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GodFatherPENNington

New

Post by GodFatherPENNington » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:24 pm

thanks

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:26 pm

EmVan wrote:
I think he meant that buying the PTs from LSAC cost a fraction of the amount that you pay to register for the prep course. The books are "free" in so much as you've pretty much already paid for them trough the course fee, no?
yes, but I already made it clear that I wasn't terribly happy with the course and the only reason I repeated was for the books.

justwhisper

New

Post by justwhisper » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:10 pm

goodolgil wrote:
EmVan wrote:
yes, but I already made it clear that I wasn't terribly happy with the course and the only reason I repeated was for the books.
I'm not sure that I understand your point... Kaplan does not make you return your coursebooks...

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:07 pm

Reschedule? If anything, I wish the LSAT was sooner!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:04 pm

justwhisper wrote:
goodolgil wrote:
EmVan wrote:
I'm not sure that I understand your point... Kaplan does not make you return your coursebooks...
The point is they send you brand new ones for free. That's why I repeated. And to take as many proctored tests as I want (could take two or three a week if I wanted).

justwhisper

New

Post by justwhisper » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:27 am

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.

zwanzig

New

Post by zwanzig » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Excellent pointers. I shall give 'em a try.

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:17 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Reschedule? If anything, I wish the LSAT was sooner!
You must be kicking butt on your preptests

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justwhisper

New

Post by justwhisper » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:53 am

Postponing if you are not ready will save you a world of pain.

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:33 pm

justwhisper wrote:Postponing if you are not ready will save you a world of pain.
Only if you are applying to T14 schools like I intend to. Ones that still average multiple LSAT scores.

justwhisper

New

Post by justwhisper » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:58 pm

Mall_cop$ wrote:
justwhisper wrote:Postponing if you are not ready will save you a world of pain.
Why? All but the top school take the highest.
Yes but schools will still see all of your scores... Not to mention the pain you will experience when waiting for your score to come back in only to find that it's a 150, lol.... and the studying time you wasted waiting for your score to come back... and the mental devastation only getting a 150 will cause you the next time around.

mickeymouse4509

New

Post by mickeymouse4509 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:41 am

I plan to take the test and then cancel if I feel it didn't go well. Not buying the postponing method as I think just taking the real thing will be good practice in itself.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”