Working 60-70 hours a week and retaking in Oct. Tips? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
drumstickies

New

Working 60-70 hours a week and retaking in Oct. Tips?

Post by drumstickies » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Hey y'all,

I'm transitioning to a new job next week, and it's going to be pretty high stress and very busy. I wanted to get the LSAT finished in June, but I ended up scoring below my average. I was averaging a 170 going into it, with a range of 169-172. I scored a 166, which surprised me. I took 12 practice tests to prepare, and nine of them were higher than 166, not including one that was a 166. Anyway, I took PT 54 last week and scored a 173 (-3 LR total, -3 RC, and -1 LG).

Is there anyone here who works a high-commitment job and is able to manage studying for the LSAT? I'm trying to follow NoodleyOne's retake guide. I generally feel pretty confident about LG, and the errors I make are always careless. I thought I knew LR pretty well, but I went -5 and -4 on it in June. I just reviewed MLSAT LR, and I feel pretty good about it.

In any case, advice would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch, peeps. Happy Thursday.

mmbt123

New

Re: Working 60-70 hours a week and retaking in Oct. Tips?

Post by mmbt123 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Yes, I worked while taking the LSAT and this is just my experience: it didn't work for me so I quit my job over the summer, studied from july to sept then took it in october before applying law schools (after the lsat, i got a part time gig). I was lucky to have the parental financial support to be able to do so and had to ask myself the hard question of...Can i really do my best while working and what matters most to me?

If you're not in a financial position to do what I did, I would just make sure you have all the time you need to study for the test, even if it means delaying a cycle. Because otherwise, your work performance might suffer since you'll be antsy to leave on time always and your lsat will suffer b/c you will only really get to work on it on the weekends.

I also worked w/ a great tutor while I was working and he helped me stay motivated/working during the work week.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”