Logic Games Nightmare Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
JSRarri

New

Logic Games Nightmare

Post by JSRarri » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:27 pm

Does anybody else find LG prep to be unbearably boring in comparison to the other sections? This may sound weird but I find LR and RC to be somewhat exciting (in the LSAT world) especially LR.

laww

Bronze

Re: Logic Games Nightmare

Post by laww » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:39 pm

IMO its the most "learnable" of the 3 sections.

Once you become better at making inferences and diagramming you can basically go for -0 without effort.

It is only boring if you can score -0 on it :P

I think the RC section is less boring not because it is easier but because some of the passages are somewhat interesting even if they contain faults :P

JSRarri

New

Post by JSRarri » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:03 pm

True. I wish I was scoring -0 at the drop of a dime like that. I can work wonders on the other sections with no problem but for some reason LG simply is not clicking with me. My speed is horrible, a lot of the time I can ace a game but it takes me 15-20 minutes per, and then there are some games where I'll make a stupid mistake, such as missing the smallest inference and it ends up blowing up the entire game. I've been at LG for about a week now and it is frustrating how horrible my timing is coming along and how much I keep missing those little things. I yelled at my powerscore book today as if it did something to me, I then came to realize that I was talking to an inanimate object and proceded to study.

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Meh, I find LG to be the most entertaining. It doesn't strain the mind and it's fun thinking about how they work.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:00 pm

JSRarri wrote:I've been at LG for about a week now and it is frustrating how horrible my timing is coming along and how much I keep missing those little things.
Relax, you don't become a LG master overnight or in just a week or two, it takes time to improve and get to the point of near perfection answering questions under timed conditions, several or more months for many people. Your improvement expectations need to be realistic and in tune with the realities of how much study, drilling and practice time it takes to improve significantly.

You shouldn't be timing yourself right now or being at all concerned about timing since you just started preparing. You need to learn and get good at applying all the fundamentals in slow motion before you try to master applying them fast under test conditions.

Stop worrying about timing for now, just keep learning about all the game types, concepts, techniques, etc. as you work through the LGB, drill a lot, thoroughly review, lather rinse repeat, and over time (weeks to months) your timing will get better as you become more systematic and better at working through everything with proper strategies. After you have learned all the game types and drilled with numerous ones of each type and the main variations so that you are comfortable with all the stuff, then transition into trying to work them under test day time pressure, but not before you can do games with close to 100% accuracy under no time limit leisurely conditions and finish each game in 15-20 mins max. Once you can do that, then start to practice games under test day time limits.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JSRarri

New

Post by JSRarri » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:21 am

Thanks Jeffort, that really put things into perspective for me. Your right, getting a high score on this exam takes diligent time and preparation and I know this. I'm just so used to getting significant results in a short ammount of time when studying for undergrad exams. I got a bit anxious and it's unrealistic and arrogant to expect a 180 overnight, especially with this type of test. I just need to keep focused on the long haul and remember this a test of skill as opposed to what I am used to - memorization.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:31 am

I'm the complete opposite. I enjoy the logic games. Last night I was studying LR questions and I got fed up with them. I went and did some games. You'll get faster over time. It's really about letting the info soak in over time I think.

I'm still yet to study my RC stuff. I feel like my degree in English should give me a small boost.

Keept at it dude. June 2014 here we come!

logical seasoning

Bronze

Post by logical seasoning » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:56 am

Yeah during my prep I became really frustrated with Logic Games, and that caused me to neglect them. I went like -10 on them for 6 months of my prep.

To combat this, I had to change my mindset. I HAD to learn to love games. I tried to think of them as "fun little riddles" that I tried to solve as fast as possible.

In a month, I went from -10 to a -1, 2 (usually stupid mistakes)

How I did this was committing myself to doing 8 games a day and watching 7sage explanations on any game that missed an answer on. It is weird, but after a while, knowing when to do hypotheticals vs. seeking inferences will come naturally.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:11 am

JSRarri wrote:Thanks Jeffort, that really put things into perspective for me. Your right, getting a high score on this exam takes diligent time and preparation and I know this. I'm just so used to getting significant results in a short ammount of time when studying for undergrad exams. I got a bit anxious and it's unrealistic and arrogant to expect a 180 overnight, especially with this type of test. I just need to keep focused on the long haul and remember this a test of skill as opposed to what I am used to - memorization.
I hear you, that is a totally normal perspective to have when first starting to prep for the LSAT before receiving a few nice mental beatings from it that make it clear through experience that it is not like any other tests you've prepared for and taken before. Welcome to the hazing part of LSAT prep! The test will kick you and knock you down as many times as it needs to until you treat her with the care and respect she demands before rewarding you. lol

Keep in mind that peoples ultimate LSAT scores do in large part also measure determination since it does take a lot of prep time to secure a high score. Many people do not end up achieving their highest potential score because they fail to put in the required amount of prep time to achieve their potential either because they don't want it that bad and throw in the towel at some point due to not wanting to work any harder for it or because they unreasonably think that their potential is lower than it is due to falsely thinking that one can and does hit their potential with far less dedicated prep time than reality shows is needed by most people and then give up before getting there due to believing they cannot do any better.

Just keep those things in mind as you move along in order to keep your motivation up for the times ahead when you will get discouraged due to temporary slumps. They happen to everyone and knowing what to expect as you move forward is helpful in order to keep motivated and keep a good attitude.

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:58 am

As long as it's not tear-sheddingly difficult, I find it akin to New York Times crosswords or sudokus...challenging, but oh so satisfying when you know what you're doing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”