June 2013 LSAT Reaction Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kaseyb002

New

June 2013 LSAT Reaction

Post by kaseyb002 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:31 am

I know there is already a June Waiting thread, but it's so full of off-topic stuff now I have to sift through 5 pages before I find what someone actually thought about the test.

I am wondering what people think about the test after having a couple days away from it.

Break down:
RC: Felt great about it, but experimental (-1/-2 ->great for RC for me).
LR1: Felt really good. I can't say I felt 100% sure about every question, but it was pretty close. (-1/-2)
LG: Smashed it, without a doubt. Had 8 minutes left. If I miss one, it will be due to a super bonehead error. (-0)
RC: Got smashed. At the time, I felt pretty awful. When I found out it was the real RC, I felt even worse. Thinking back on it though I think -7 would be the upper cap, but with RC you obviously never know. Some people said they didn't think RC was too bad. Perhaps nerves just got to me again. (-4/-5). I average around -2/-3 on RC.
LR2: Felt really good about this one. I surprised myself about how cool I was after such a rough RC. I felt 100% about all my answers. (-0/-1)

With a -10 curve, I'll be a bit pessimistic and say 171 or 172. If I go sub-170, then I really screwed up on RC, which is totally possible.

Did anyone else think they were a shoe-in for 177+ at the break?

cannibal ox

Gold

Re: June 2013 LSAT Reaction

Post by cannibal ox » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:43 am

This was my first LSAT, so I have to compare it to the practice tests I've taken (60 through 68, as well as 5 or 6 from the PT 30s and 40s), but I thought it was overally a pretty easy test. I was getting pretty damn good at predicting my score after I took practice tests, so I'm not too worried about being overconfident.

LR1: Easy, finished in under 30 minutes, which was a bit unexpected as I was averaging 33 or 34 minutes normally. Checked my answers and didn't change a single one.
LG: Blew through it, wasn't tripped up much at all.
LG (experiemental): Eased through 3 games, tripped up on the strange one, ended up guessing on 1 answer but fairly certain I got the rest right. I was relieved to find out that it was experimental (via other websites).
LR2: Definitely more difficult than LR1, but not terrible. I had many more that I narrowed down to 2 and then picked the one I was fairly certain of, but for sure had a lot less confidence than LR1.
RC: This has been my weakest section, usually missing 4 or 5, and it felt about the same. Finished early and changed a few answers after finding evidence in the passage, but I could still see this one being my worst section. There was one passage I had a little trouble focusing on, but that might have been because it was section 5 for me.

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:54 am

kaseyb002 wrote:I know there is already a June Waiting thread, but it's so full of off-topic stuff now I have to sift through 5 pages before I find what someone actually thought about the test.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:55 am

The first 20 pages is all about peeps reactions to the test.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:05 am

The information is in the thread, go find it. Also, what does it matter at this point? I mean if you think a retake would be beneficial then brush up every now and then until you get your score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nugnoy

Bronze

Post by nugnoy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:46 am

LR1: Felt really easy, finished 5 min early and checked the ones I had starred
LG: Felt ridiculously easy
LR2: Felt like a legitimate section - I felt iffy on 3~4 questions

Break: I was confident - I felt like I had no reason to think I got any question wrong. I couldn't measure my feelings for the overall score, because RC is my most inconsistent section and I hadn't done it then. I'd have to do the RC to have an idea of how I did on the test. I consistently get -0/-1 on LR. LG and RC are more variable. But man, this LG was probably one of the easiest LGs I've done. So I was really confident. I reminded myself the both the LG and the 1st LR could be experimentals so confidence might backfire. I said to myself, as long as I keep this up, I actually have a chance at getting 180.

LR3: Another legitimate section - I felt iffy on ~2 questions.
RC: I thought the RC was ridiculously easy. RC is my weakest section - usually -2~-3, sometimes -4~-5. What usually happens is I get stuck on passage 2 and finish it around 18~19 minutes and end up hurrying through in the last section. But this RC was ridiculous...so many questions were easily line-referenced or just plain clear. When I finished passage two I thanked God in my head for giving me this RC section. Finished like 3 minutes early.

As I was leaving I felt really confident - I felt like I was safely going to get 178+. Of course though, after thinking about it over I've been feeling less confident. I fell asleep last night thinking about what if my confidence was misplaced. I'm pretty sure I got one wrong on the 3rd LR - I eliminated all five choices. One choice did make sense, but only if I interpret the word "wintering" in a certain way - which I was pretty sure was wrong. I interpreted it to mean birds that stay over winter, which was the only way one of the choices made sense to me. After the test I googled "wintering bird" it gave me link to "Bird migration" in the wiki, so I figured I got it wrong. I was surprised that the LSAT just used it though - I re-read the stim to make sure I didn't skip over the definition and I hadn't - you just had to know it. I'm an immigrant though, so I guess that's my disadvantage.

But I think that was the LR3, and that seems to be the experimental anyway.

Overall, the curve will be -10 or below. I took the Oct 2012. I was thought that test would've been -11/-12, but it turned out to be -10. Compared to Oct 2012, this test was insanely easy for me. I guess the difference could've been that I improved. But I honestly feel this was way easier than Oct 2012.

If my confidence was accurate, I got 179/180. If not, I'd expect 173/4 at the worst. 176+ I'd probably stay. 175 and below I'd seriously consider retake.

I like this thread. I think the waiting thread is great for the people who are chill with each other and who befriended with each other on the June 2012 thread, and they're all messing around having fun. But I just use this site infrequently, just for lsat material. I just want to read about people's feelings about the test. I went through the entire thread, and the first 20 pages were good for me but most of the last 65 are not interesting for ppl like me.

nugnoy

Bronze

Post by nugnoy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:17 am

Yeah, it was probably the first time I felt stumped like this. I can understand if it's words like vicissitude - they're specifically trying to weed out people who don't know this word or people who don't know enough to eliminate the other four. But being stuck on a question because I don't know what a wintering bird does over the winter? It was just plain weird. I even asked couple of my friends afterwards (born and raised here) if they knew what a wintering bird is and they weren't sure either - they just guessed it'd be a bird that migrates to a different place for the winter.

I feel at peace with my performance, so I don't feel the dying need to see it right now. But I def would like it asap...I'm taking off for Europe tomorrow, so at least it'll distract me for a few days.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:40 am

LG1 (Experimental) - overall quite easy, I did have a mix-up on one of the games (can't recall any specifics), but still finished with minutes to spare. (0-1, not that it matters).
LR1: Very easy. Only marked one question to take a second look at, and I don't think it was especially difficult. (0-1 missed)
LG2 (Real thing) - also pretty easy, Juices/Snacks set-up was weird, but once I got it down, the questions were a breeze. (0-1 missed)
RC: Not bad at all. I did switch my answer on one question, and I am 95% sure I went from right to wrong, but we'll see. (1-2 missed)
LR2: I think fatigue was a big factor here. I marked SEVEN questions to return to (I usually have 1-3), and I think I just over-read several that weren't that hard. This is the section that is giving me nightmares right now. (2-5 missed).

I can't remember ever switching more than two answers before, but I switched answers on FIVE Qs on this test. So far, three look like I went from right to wrong, one is wrong to right, and the other is 50/50 to 50/50.

As for my score, I could see anything from 172-177. I definitely got two wrong, and there are another four that I'm feeling bad about, but don't necessarily trust the TLS hive-mind on the correct answers. I can't rule out a silly mistake or two, so I'm am just going to be a mess for the next three weeks.

I think anything under 174 means a retake. My PT average over the last month was a 177, with three 180's and a low of 175.

JWP1022

Bronze

Post by JWP1022 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:09 am

GuyLafleur wrote:nugnoy

I'm pretty sure we wrote the same test.

That same question tripped me up too. The only answer choice I felt came close to being right was the one that contained the word "wintering", but even that felt off. Overall, I don't know how I did, but I'm very, very confident I got 170+, which was my goal when I initially began studying. Hoping I got 175+, but realistically, I'd be happy with anything over 170.
I simply can't remember this question no matter how hard I try.

This kind of thing -- where I can't remember a question -- terrifies me for whatever reason, because it makes me think I wasn't in control during the test. In reality, there was probably so much adrenaline coursing through me that I'm bound to not remember 80% of the questions. Ugh, I need a distraction bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

westjr

New

Post by westjr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:22 am

LR 1: Way too easy. If I missed one, it was a stupid mistake. (0-1)
LG 1: Killed it. (0)
LR 2: Not as easy as the first, but not too bad. I remember one that I'm pretty sure I got wrong now. I realized my error while I mowed my lawn. (1-2)

BREAK

LG 2: Experimental didn't go so well, and that hurt my confidence going into.....

RC: The cursed reading comp.... I could've gone anywhere from (0-5) wrong on this one. I really don't know. It was all a blur. If I had to estimate, I'd give it a (3).

So, I figure my lowest score would be 173 or so. If I had to guess, I would estimate a 177. I'd be happy with 175+.

Overall, the test was easier than most, but some problems were really, really tricky.

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:51 pm

RC1: First passage tripped me up, the rest felt pretty normal. Luckily this was experimental. (-3-5)
LR1: Didn't feel like a perfect section to me, but only like 3 or so I was actually unsure of. (-1-2)
LG: Unless I made a dramatic fuck up, this should be a perfect section. (-0)
RC2: Felt good, much more consistent than RC1, though RC is still usually my worse section. (-2-4)
LR2: At this point I was actually feeling really confident because I felt good given the previous sections. I finished the first 15 or so in like 13 minutes or something crazy and then it got much more difficult. I actually marked like 8 or so questions to go back and double check though I feel like I was just being overly cautious because a lot of those were in the first 15 or so questions. I can't see myself missing more than 4 on an LR section though as it has basically never happened. (-2-4).

Hopefully I'm +170 though there still is that uncertainty factor. There's also the potential huge fuck on on LG, though not common, would still destroy any score.

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Why so serious?

CQB

New

Post by CQB » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:10 pm

LR: Pretty confident I didn't miss more than one or two (-2)
LG: 3 easy games but the J/S caused me some problems, I think I eventually got it but ran out of time and had to guess on the last one of that game. (-2)
LR: Slightly harder than the first. (-3)
LG: (experimental) I'm glad the experimental was after the break because it took me awhile to get back into it... I wasted a lot of unnecessary time on that first game and in the end had to guess on four questions (-5)
RC: I actually don't think the RC was that difficult except that I took too long reading the passages and ended up having to answer the last four questions on the comparative reading portion (which I found to be the hardest one) in under 4 minutes so I am just conservatively guessing that I got them all wrong (-6)

I guess that would be a total of (-13) which wouldn't be great compared to some people but it is about what I averaging on the PT's so I'm happy with it... although I am hoping that by being conservative in my estimation of incorrect answers I will get a pleasant surprise when the scores are posted. Obviously, I am really glad that the experimental LG was the one that I bombed!

Thanks for starting a more serious thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Hey all:

LG: wooooo. Only one of these and it was pretty straight forward! I'm thinking I got most, if not all, of these correct unless I missed something. I finished with time to spare. (-1/2)

LR(s): I had three, one which included like 5 principal questions so I'm assuming was the experimental, but none of the three really stood out as being particularly difficult, at least anymore than the other exams. (-1/2)

RC: The only section I faltered a bit on given a particularly the difficult art passage, but I think I made it out OK (-4/5)

With a -10 curve, I can still make a 170. Here's hoping!

sabza

New

Post by sabza » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:19 pm

My LSAT got off to a really rough start. There was a last minute change of venue because the law school double booked the rooms so we had to head across campus. I was denied entry to my testing room for being late (5 minutes past 'report time' due to the unannounced venue change), but was eventually let into a different room to test. This is my second time taking the LSAT, and I was accepted to a decent school. I was taking it again to see if I should apply during the next cycle because I scored about 12 points lower than my PTs in December (finals week, no sleep, sooo stressed, and sick!). If I didn't already have an acceptance, I would have FREAKED out...taking the LSAT is stressful enough.

RC1-Thank God it was the experimental! Was still shaken from being told I would not be allowed to test! (maybe -8)
LR1-much better..if I missed any, maybe -1.
LG-Think -0, but sometimes I make careless errors on LG, so max -2.
LR2-Also think it went well, -0-2
RC2-I hate reading comp, but I didn't think it was too bad. My reading comps are usually between -1 and -5, which is a really big spread, but I'm sure I was somewhere in the middle, so I will guess -3.

There is a principle question that is sticking out in my mind as something that I may have messed up, but other than that, pretty confident in everything but reading comp...which has always been very difficult for me to predict.

sasquatchsam

Bronze

Post by sasquatchsam » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:52 pm

I am starting to feel rather paranoid considering how everyone else felt about LG :(

I must have missed something on the last game because I thought Juice/Snacks was the easiest game in the section. Spent 11 minutes on the last game and still had to guess 50/50 on two questions.

To be honest, I don't hardly remember anything about LR (I had a LR experimental). Does anyone remember if the question about the first people to cultivate plants was on the experimental. That was the only one I felt extremely uncomfortable with. Everything else seemed pretty easy. Hopefully this isn't going too far but I only remember one parallel reasoning/flaw question. This seemed to reduce the difficulty a lot.

I don't remember RC being very difficult. At least during the test I remember thinking it was way easier than most of the RC in the 60s. Hopefully that wasn't false confidence and the questions were actually easy.

kaseyb002

New

Post by kaseyb002 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:27 pm

It's interesting how the responses on hear about the RC are more varied, while the initial reactions tended to be much more in agreement that the RC was exceptionally difficult.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:32 am

sasquatchsam wrote:I am starting to feel rather paranoid considering how everyone else felt about LG :(

I must have missed something on the last game because I thought Juice/Snacks was the easiest game in the section. Spent 11 minutes on the last game and still had to guess 50/50 on two questions.
Once you got the set-up, the questions fall into place very quickly. So if you were able to diagram it properly from the start, it was an easy game.

The last game (paralegals?) was time consuming because of all the various rules and conditional questions, but wasn't "hard" in the typical LG sense.

nyjets2090

Bronze

Post by nyjets2090 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:00 pm

jas1503 wrote:
kaseyb002 wrote:I know there is already a June Waiting thread, but it's so full of off-topic stuff now I have to sift through 5 pages before I find what someone actually thought about the test.
--ImageRemoved--

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Daily_Double wrote:The information is in the thread, go find it. Also, what does it matter at this point? I mean if you think a retake would be beneficial then brush up every now and then until you get your score.
I think this is silly. I agree with OP, that other thread is chock full of spam and BS, it actually defeats the purpose of that type of thread. no problem, obviously, as they need a general talk thread, but a thread like this with a format and everything could be an effective way to get that information without having to go find it through 140 pages of jibber jabber.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:40 pm

rriles wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:The information is in the thread, go find it. Also, what does it matter at this point? I mean if you think a retake would be beneficial then brush up every now and then until you get your score.
I think this is silly. I agree with OP, that other thread is chock full of spam and BS, it actually defeats the purpose of that type of thread. no problem, obviously, as they need a general talk thread, but a thread like this with a format and everything could be an effective way to get that information without having to go find it through 140 pages of jibber jabber.
... the vast majority of the June reactions are in the first 20 pages, and the vast majority of the first 20 pages are June reactions. Yes, in late June, we are no longer giving our initial reactions to the test (quelle surprise!). That doesn't change the fact that OP can find all of the info they want in the beginning of the thread.

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:43 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
rriles wrote:
... the vast majority of the June reactions are in the first 20 pages, and the vast majority of the first 20 pages are June reactions. Yes, in late June, we are no longer giving our initial reactions to the test (quelle surprise!). That doesn't change the fact that OP can find all of the info they want in the beginning of the thread.
Perhaps, but you're wrong anyway because it makes great sense to have two topics. The first topic is a topic like this where all takers on the forum post a concise questionnaire-style of answer about their experience taking the test and a second topic for general discussion/spam about the test results. This solution solves the problems that come from the arbitrary solution you insist upon (why so serious?). Instead of sifting through crap, you see everyone's same opinion, even if they come late to the thread to offer their perspective. Your solution means we miss the same perspective of takers who simply came late to that thread and had their post get lost among hundreds on page 72 or something.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”