deleted Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
gottago

Bronze

deleted

Post by gottago » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:25 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patfeeney

Bronze

Re: cancel if aiming for HYS?

Post by patfeeney » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:51 pm

gottago wrote:need about a 174 to feel safe.

On my PTs I consistently surpassed my target. Hence I saw 174 as my floor, the worst I can do. On the real thing, however, when I saw that there were only 7mins left on the LG section, instead of thinking it's nbd because I had consistently 0/-1-ed LG on my PTs, I panicked. I then had to guess on the last question and wsn't too sure about the rest of the questions on the last game either.

I then dwelled on that into the next few sections. I had to guess on 1LR, so I figure I'm definitely at -2.
Although I finished all of the other sections, my dwelling on the LG problem caused me to not really concentrate on the answer choices. I just read them all once and didn't have time to reread (even though I usually do--I had plenty of time on my first (non-experimental) LR, which was before the LG).

Then there were 2 50/50s on RC, and maybe 1 or 2 LR that I might have gotten wrong but didn't think I did because I wasn't in the zone anymore (I didn't zone out, but I just felt really anxious).

So if all the 50/50s go against me, I'm looking at a low 170s. I don't think I will score much lower than that, but if I retake in Oct schools might think wtf is s/he doing going around retaking a 172.

Cancel?
Depends on GPA, among other factors.
If you have between a 3.8 - 4.0 GPA, a 172 would not hurt you at all for HYS. It wouldn't be the best, of course, but as long as one or the other is in the median and they're both between the 25th and 75th percentiles, you stand a fair chance.
If you have a lower than 3.8 GPA, I'd say keep the score but retake to get as much extra pointage as possible. I have no idea how the schools look at GPA, but personally mine is low enough to suggest that I need to hit at least 75th percentile with a T14 (at least HYS, if not the "lower" ones on the list) school to have a real chance at admission.

If you get lower than 170, then you might have a problem there.

NoWorries

New

Post by NoWorries » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:53 pm

Pretty sure H will know why you are retaking a 172. No big deal. Definitely don't cancel if you think that's your floor.

gottago

Bronze

deleted

Post by gottago » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:58 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ixiion

Bronze

Post by Ixiion » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:02 pm

gottago wrote:So if all the 50/50s go against me, I'm looking at a low 170s. I don't think I will score much lower than that, but if I retake in Oct schools might think wtf is s/he doing going around retaking a 172.
I don't think anyone is going to wonder that, ESPECIALLY not HYS. I wouldn't cancel... considering your really high PT scores, you're likely just freaking out and you probably did better than you think you did. :) GL!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Don't cancel. If you get low 170s and have a 3.9 that might get you into S and H and if you retake a 172 in October and do significantly better, I'm sure they'll disregard your first score. Cancelling will make you look much worse.

gottago

Bronze

deleted

Post by gottago » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:14 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ixiion

Bronze

Post by Ixiion » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:20 pm

gottago wrote:
Ixiion wrote:
gottago wrote:So if all the 50/50s go against me, I'm looking at a low 170s. I don't think I will score much lower than that, but if I retake in Oct schools might think wtf is s/he doing going around retaking a 172.
I don't think anyone is going to wonder that, ESPECIALLY not HYS. I wouldn't cancel... considering your really high PT scores, you're likely just freaking out and you probably did better than you think you did. :) GL!
What do you mean especially not HYS? I'd think they'd be the schools most likely to care about this type of thing, if anybody cares.

Also, it might be wishful thinking to chalk it up to post-test freaking out, but if I know for a fact I'm starting at -2 and know for a fact that the 2nd LR was a total blur because the LG consumed me, not cancelling feels like leaving it up to luck that I did well today.
What I mean is that I highly doubt HYS will *wonder* why you are retaking a 172. HYS likely understands that some of its applicants (obv, the ones who are being realistic about their chances, not the ones with 3.3 GPAs or 150 LSAT scores who apply) are likely to see a 172 as "not high enough", if anything because of their nature to be type A personalities or people who strive for perfection.

Of course, this is simply my opinion and perhaps HYS thinks nothing of the sort. But I just don't think that, out of all schools, they're going to wonder why you're retaking a 172. I'm not saying retaking doesn't matter to them, I'm just saying they're likely to understand why you're retaking. :)

---
Unless you really feel that you completely bombed an entire section, I think you'll be okay with getting the score and retaking if necessary, rather than canceling. If you had a major panic attack in a section and KNOW you bombed the whole thing -- or if you misbubbled in a section (say, bubbling the answer for 6 in 7 or vice versa), then absolutely cancel your score. Again, just my opinion though!

seagan823

Bronze

Post by seagan823 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:22 pm

HYS won't care because they clearly know why you are retaking. You are retaking because you want to their school. Don't cancel if you think you hit a 172. If those ones you guessed on or were unsure of turn out to be correct, you may be looking at your 174 plus. If you retake in Oct and end up with 172 and 176 or so I doubt you would be looked down upon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:25 pm

Let it ride.

gottago

Bronze

deleted

Post by gottago » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:31 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tirakon

New

Post by tirakon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:32 pm

For what it's worth:

When prepping for the LSAT, I was averaging a 175 or so. But on the actual exam, I just had a really bad day and underperformed with a 170. My GPA was close to median for HYS. So, it sounds like I had a similar profile to you.

I retook, got a 174, and was accepted at all of HYS.

I really don't think they cared about my retake. When I interviewed with JS for Harvard, she never even mentioned it.

I'd keep the score, because you might surprise yourself and do better than you expect. And if you need to retake, you shouldn't worry.

domino

Bronze

Post by domino » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:44 pm

My feeling is also that if you are looking at two scores that are pretty close to each other and relatively high (though not 178+), the retake won't matter much.

People often test at or slightly below the bottom of their range as well--fwiw I did, and I didn't expect to after finishing the test. If you want to lock in a higher score, it might be a good idea to keep studying until you are in a safer range.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NoWorries

New

Post by NoWorries » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:32 pm

If this cycle is like the next one you will have a solid shot at getting in with a 3.9/172. If even less people apply it could be even better.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:33 pm

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:48 pm

edit
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gottago

Bronze

deleted

Post by gottago » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:22 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gottago

Bronze

deleted

Post by gottago » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:10 pm

deleted

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:15 pm

gottago

Bronze

deleted

Post by gottago » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:17 pm

deleted

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Definitely stay put. It's normal to think you did worse than usual on the real thing - I felt the same way. But if you were well prepared you were in auto-pilot and most likely scored somewhere in your normal range. Also no one will question a retake at those schools (or any school), and if they do, you can just say that you always want to give your best to everything you do and you knew a better score was more indicative of your true potential, blah blah blah. Spin it so that you look like you care and want to put your best foot forward, (just don't make it look like you're an annoying gunner) and the retake will be a positive. Or very worst case, it won't even matter. But why worry about a retake right now?? You could have gotten a 180 for all you know... See what happens, you may be really happy with yourself.

You put in a ton of work and are looking at what is likely a 175+/-, which is definitely already in the HYS range. Cancelling is just a bad idea

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:24 pm

gottago wrote:ok I've thought it about it all evening and here are the possibilities

All of this assumes I'm starting at 99/101

After thinking about the 4 50/50 questions some more, I'm pretty sure I picked the right answer in at least 3 of them, UNLESS I misbubbled because of time pressure.

so possibilities:

1. 2/4 to 4/4 of the 50/50s go my way, and I went perfect the rest of the way. In this situation I might be throwing away a 179 if I cancel.
2. All 4 go against me, but I went perfect the rest of the way. Here I'm still looking at a 175-6.
3. But if All 4 go against me, AND I messed up somewhere else on the test but I just don't know it because I rushed through one of the sections and prephrased a lot and didn't bother to check D and E sometimes, then I'm in trouble.

However, if my fear is misbubbling or the remote possibility that I got many of the ones I don't even remember wrong, then that fear is unlikely to go away upon a retake because I've spoken to many top scorers and nearly all of them go down to the wire.

My assessment is that it's possible that I got a 179, and it wouldn't be a pure prayer to predict that I did. I would say it's also likely that I got a 175 or higher. But there is some risk in having messed up on the remainder of the test, and if that risk is realized, then I'm truly done for. But that risk (or the fear of that risk) will never be minimized to my satisfaction.

Given all this, I should stay put?
2/3 scenarios are absolutely solid for you and the last one makes more assumptions than the other two so I would keep it. I think more than likely you hit around a 174 based on the information that you provided unless you missed something that you had no idea you missed. However, this can be said every time you take a test so I wouldn't worry too much about that since it is out of your control.

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:25 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote: 2/3 scenarios are absolutely solid for you and the last one makes more assumptions than the other two so I would keep it. I think more than likely you hit around a 174 based on the information that you provided unless you missed something that you had no idea you missed. However, this can be said every time you take a test so I wouldn't worry too much about that since it is out of your control.
Loving your tar, btw

gottago

Bronze

deleted

Post by gottago » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:26 pm

deleted

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:33 pm

gottago wrote:although the worst option does make more assumptions, isn't the assumption that I messed up more likely than that I went perfect?
If you learned anything from the LSAT it's that you can't assume... You're just worrying right now and that's natural. A retake won't hurt you if you need one, so why not at least see if you need one? You may not, but if you cancel you definitely will. It's always an option but why force it on yourself without seeing this score first? There's a decent chance you already got what you want. Stop stressing - the test will be there in October if you need it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”