Classes/tutor for a high 160s/low 170s scorer with anxiety Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
freaksandghouls

New

Classes/tutor for a high 160s/low 170s scorer with anxiety

Post by freaksandghouls » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi guys,
I just took, walked out of, and cancelled the LSAT today. I would like to know if I could get advice from you all on what test course or even what tutor would work best with me?

I took a PowerScore course previously and self studied, with a lot of work I went from a 140 (that's right) to high scores of 180 and 179, although I only got those twice. I have taken every single preptest post PowerScore course and got mostly low 170s with some high 160s.

The week before the test my anxiety was really bad and I consistently was not able to break 170 again. I took the test today and it was even worse, I walked out and cancelled it, by the time I hit reading comp, my mind was so convoluted and nervous that I was just staring at text and unable to think. However, I do not believe that my poor performance was ONLY because of test anxiety. A lot of the anxiety and lack of confidence has root in my lack of consistent performance, which I believe is because of a lack of specific, refined skills that you need to constantly hit 170+.

I would like to know from all of you what you suggest I can do from this point. Please don't tell me that I have plateaued. I have already improved massive amounts that most people on forums said that someone with my starting score would never get to.
Are there tutors or test prep courses that are specifically for people already at an advanced level that need help getting that extra edge to a consistent 170+? Also, do you know of any that can help a lot with test anxiety? Or perhaps books with that?

Thank you so much for your help! I want to see 170+ in October, and I need all the advice I can get.

bbkk

Silver

Re: Classes/tutor for a high 160s/low 170s scorer with anxiety

Post by bbkk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 pm

freaksandghouls wrote:Hi guys,
I just took, walked out of, and cancelled the LSAT today. I would like to know if I could get advice from you all on what test course or even what tutor would work best with me?

I took a PowerScore course previously and self studied, with a lot of work I went from a 140 (that's right) to high scores of 180 and 179, although I only got those twice. I have taken every single preptest post PowerScore course and got mostly low 170s with some high 160s.

The week before the test my anxiety was really bad and I consistently was not able to break 170 again. I took the test today and it was even worse, I walked out and cancelled it, by the time I hit reading comp, my mind was so convoluted and nervous that I was just staring at text and unable to think. However, I do not believe that my poor performance was ONLY because of test anxiety. A lot of the anxiety and lack of confidence has root in my lack of consistent performance, which I believe is because of a lack of specific, refined skills that you need to constantly hit 170+.

I would like to know from all of you what you suggest I can do from this point. Please don't tell me that I have plateaued. I have already improved massive amounts that most people on forums said that someone with my starting score would never get to.
Are there tutors or test prep courses that are specifically for people already at an advanced level that need help getting that extra edge to a consistent 170+? Also, do you know of any that can help a lot with test anxiety? Or perhaps books with that?

Thank you so much for your help! I want to see 170+ in October, and I need all the advice I can get.

If you got anything, let me know too... That's exactly what I need...

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:48 pm

First, just breathe. No one on here really ever suggests someone has plateaued or maxed their potential or anything like that, so don't worry. TLS is a safe place.

Just some questions... do you normally suffer from anxiety during regular exams? Do you have any diagnosed issues that could be contributing?

freaksandghouls

New

Post by freaksandghouls » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:41 am

NoodleyOne wrote:First, just breathe. No one on here really ever suggests someone has plateaued or maxed their potential or anything like that, so don't worry. TLS is a safe place.

Just some questions... do you normally suffer from anxiety during regular exams? Do you have any diagnosed issues that could be contributing?
thanks for info! i just read some random forum, dont remember where, and someone with my starting score was told they couldnt make it to a level near mine currently, and that upset me. but good to know that such behavior doesnt take place here.

and as for test anxiety, honestly, no i have never experienced anything like this before. i think it is because of the unique factors of the lsat that i am so freaked out, because in other exams, you have other things to weigh it against and timing is not as bad. i did not study for the SAT whatsoever so have not dealt with a similar situation for standardized tests, i am only facing pressure from myself for this test right now. i do not believe i have an anxiety disorder, and do not really trust meds to make a difference.

freaksandghouls

New

Post by freaksandghouls » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:45 am

I was told that a tutor would be best for me in this situation, do you guys agree?

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:50 am

What is your weakest section? Is it a single section that is bringing you down, or is it the entire test in minor parts?

It's important that you find the minor weaknesses and fix them. Once you get into the 174+ range, it's more of either minor issues/issues with concentration over the long haul/or just sheer inattention. All of them are fixable to a varying amount of degrees (I hope, because I have issues with all of them as well), but you do need to know what they are.

Honesty, I know exactly what you mean. I was PTing between 170-176 (RC really brings me down sometimes..). Then, the week before the June test, I just tanked. On my last PT on Saturday, I got a 165. It was the single worst score I've gotten in months and I just withdrew that evening.

While I think my biggest problem are in just inattention and test anxiety (I think this being my 3rd test really just got to me), I do recognize that I have issues. RC is a crapshot that depends on just how alert I feel; I am horrible on point of issue and not awesome on inference questions for LR; and I have a tendency to make the most absurd mistakes on LG. Now that I've noted my weaknesses, I have to go and fix them. Haven't figured out a game plan to do that quite yet, but I think it's imperative for all retakers, esp. those who are doing fairly well on PTs and have used up most of the PTs already, to spend more time working on their minor issues. If you fix them, then your score should go up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”