Looking for good advice/input on study schedule for retake Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Shamatha1

New

Looking for good advice/input on study schedule for retake

Post by Shamatha1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:28 am

Ok. I don't want to be long-winded but I'd like to lay out my scenario.

First off, over the course of 4 months I had seen every single question from every test excluding PTs 66 and 67; however, I have not looked one wink at anything LSAT related since the last December test. As far as what I did to prepare last time: I read all three Powerscore Bibles 2x (many sections more times than that), drilled every question of PT's 1-40 using their Passage Type Training, Game Type Training, and Question Type Training books, took PT's 40-64 (some timed, some not; some with 5 sections, some with 4), and also took the Superprep tests (all untimed).

As for improvement, I made some enormous gains, scored 180s on a few untimed tests (though they did take me well over what the allotted time would be) and hit a 169 for my best timed score. Yet, 3 weeks or so leading up to the test I began to feel quite jaded and my practice scores started falling off (something along the line of 169, 166, 165, 162). I refused to lay off studying to let my brain recoup and toughed it out, which, I believe, was a major cause of my test day score of a 160.

Shamatha1

New

Re: Looking for good advice/input on study schedule for retake

Post by Shamatha1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:36 am

So, basically I'd like to know what all you LSAT heroes would suggest I do for prepping for the October (and possibly December) tests. I really would like to do well on this test. I have a 3.8 LSAC gpa and would like to give myself a good shot at HYSCCN this upcoming cycle.

After pondering the problems of my last administration, I believe my bane was too few practice tests, and a need to chill out. If you need more info to help you help me (lol) just ask.

My study plan

At a relaxed pace, maybe being 15 to 20 hours a week, take as many 5-section practice tests as possible, under timed conditions, and review them thoroughly using 7sage "Blind Review Method".

Shamatha1

New

Post by Shamatha1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:41 am

Go through the Manhattan series.

As RC was my killer on test day and throughout much of my prep, incorporate 7sage's "Memory Method" for RC.

And finally, I would probably also use 7sage's Logic Games "Foolproof" approach, or whatever it is that they call it.

Sorry for the long post(s). Thank you for your help.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:16 am

Just like to second the "Chill Out" part. Made a huge difference on my retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:17 am

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:23 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Just like to second the "Chill Out" part. Made a huge difference on my retake.
Based on the 180s in your PTs (assuming under test conditions) I am going to assume you have a solid grasp of the material.

Chilling out is gonna be key here- figure out if you work best with a study "weekend" after a "week" of studying- or maybe even every other day, or something.

Also try studying/PTing in places with maximum distractions- it could be you know the test so well you got complacent and then sloppy on test day.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:28 am

The idea of you being capable to score a 180 untimed and to then score a 160 timed scares me.

I'm not even at the point of scoring a 160 untimed yet.

I'm so far behind the curve.

Shamatha1

New

Post by Shamatha1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:35 am

Clearlynotstefan: That's great.

Clyde and Nova: I have a very keen sense that (among other variables) a lack of timed, 5-section practice tests was to my detriment. It seems like so many people have posted here praising their practice-testing rigor for their success. I feel like I have drilled extensively; you believe I need to drill at a high rate again?

rebexness: Those 180s were untimed; but I do feel like I had a pretty good grasp of the material. Also, I took most, if not all, of my PTs in minimally distracting conditions - places such as the library and my house. Taking PTs in loud, random, distracting places is definitely something I will be doing this time around.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shamatha1

New

Post by Shamatha1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:38 am

Louie: As broad as it sounds, there are a lot of variables in play here. Figure out what works. You are OK.

Shamatha1

New

Post by Shamatha1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Sorry to bump this thread, and thanks to everyone who has responded, but I still have a few questions for any that would like to help. 1) Are there any drilling bundles with, say, PT 1-30 material? I failed to mention in my last posts that in my prior prep I barely did ANY meticulous, comprehensive review of my PTs and I feel like 7sage's Blind Review method could do wonders for me if I were to use it with 5-section tests using the material from 31 on. It seems like the more PTs you do, the better. Btw, does he advise this for just the LR sections, or for each section of the test? 2) Does anyone have any more general advice/input on my strategy? i.e. Noodley's 179 for the basic gameplan (including the manhattan series) using 7sage's methods of blind review, memory method rc, and fool-proof guide to perfection on logic games along the way. It just seems like a jumble at this point and I'm one for pretty rigid structure, although I'm not afraid of making adjustments. I just need to figure out a solid gameplan for going about this. And 3) any thoughts on ACE the logic games book? I have it, but I don't want overkill. Efficiency is my goal. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”