Is the new trend in LG away from clear diagrams? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
linkx13

Bronze

Is the new trend in LG away from clear diagrams?

Post by linkx13 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:41 pm

Looking at the last two released 67 and 68 tests, I can't help but feel that the LSAT is trending away from straight up diagrams and more towards correct rule notation and then the application of those rules.

Anyone else feel the same?

crestor

Bronze

Re: Is the new trend in LG away from clear diagrams?

Post by crestor » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:27 pm

that and many hypo specific questions which I dearly hope LSAC does this June

in b4 opposite

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:36 pm

crestor wrote:that and many hypo specific questions which I dearly hope LSAC does this June

in b4 opposite
By that you mean the conditional questions? e.g. "If F is in slot 2 then..."

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:03 pm

linkx13 wrote:
crestor wrote:that and many hypo specific questions which I dearly hope LSAC does this June

in b4 opposite
By that you mean the conditional questions? e.g. "If F is in slot 2 then..."
yes

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 am

in b4 opposite
Here's the opposite:

The LSAC has realized how much people are prepping for the LSAT and how "sophisticated" the methods that test prep companies have developed. So they're trying to break away from the common game types.

However, they haven't really figured out how to make a game that has you do something other than the basics: grouping or ordering. Sure, there are some rare games that crop up every once in a while (mapping or grid games), but they're the exception.

So what they've been doing instead is taking those basic game types and putting a single wrinkle into them. If you take that wrinkle away, they're just a common game type. Then, after you get the game set up, if you put that wrinkle back in, it turns out to either be a pretty easy-to-represent, normal rule, or it creates a huge constraint on the game which can allow you to do scenarios.

So I don't think games have moved away from having strong setups/deductions; I just think that people have started to see them that way because they're letting the LSAT mess with their heads. Don't let the LSAT win!

totoro

Bronze

Post by totoro » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:47 am

And while this is true for 67 and 68, don't let two tests determine a "trend" in your mind! (I made this mistake). Just keep doing what you've been doing.

LG questions require flexibility - some you can answer from the set-up, some you can reuse your answers, some you just gotta brute-force hypo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”