LG Choosing the correct base in open grouping games?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
EEguy5

New

LG Choosing the correct base in open grouping games??

Post by EEguy5 » Sun May 26, 2013 3:35 pm

I am hoping someone can help me understand a strategy for choosing the correct base of variables in "open assignment/grouping" games. In case that title alone isn't clear, I am referring to games that give you one set of variables and then say that these variables do something with "one or more" (for example) of another set of variables.

Manhattan's strategy is to choose the option that leads to "the most numerical inferences" but I am struggling understanding what exactly that means, and how to determine that upfront. If someone can explain this better, or uses a non Manhattan strategy that works well, I am more than open to that as well.

Thanks in advance, hoping I can figure this out soon, crunch time!

Gold

Re: LG Choosing the correct base in open grouping games??

Post by 062914123 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Gold

Re: LG Choosing the correct base in open grouping games??

Post by bp shinners » Tue May 28, 2013 10:54 am

For me, I go with whatever "group" would have restricted sizes, or whatever group has things assigned to it in the rules.

So let's go with this game:
Alan, Betty, Cleo, Dave, and Evan are entering the National Beerlympics. They'll be competing in Flip-Cup, Quarters, Beer Chug, and Beirut (Beer Pong for the heathens out there who don't know its proper name - you play Beer Pong with paddles; you play Beirut with hands).

As of now, you could set up the game in either direction - the Beerlympians as the groups, assigning the events to them; or the events as the groups, with the people assigned.

If I had the following rules, I'd use the Beerlympians as the base:
1) Dave participates in exactly 2 events.
2) Flip-cup and Quarters are both on Evan's event ticket.
3) Betty participates in fewer events than Cleo.

If I had the following rules, I'd use the events as the groups:
1) The Flip-Cup team has 4 members.
2) Evan and Betty both participate in the Beer Chug.
3) The Quarters team features exactly twice as many members as the Beer Chug team.

Sometimes, you'll get both types of rules. If that's the case, I generally go with the groups that would be the most restricted (i.e. show up in the largest number of rules), though that can change with particular types of rules. For instance, if I get strong rules limiting group sizes (either telling me how many events a given person can participate in, or the number of people who can participate in a given event), then I use the limited group as my base (from the parenthetical right before this, the person and the events would be my base, respectively).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”