Private tutor Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RobertGolddust

Bronze

Private tutor

Post by RobertGolddust » Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Anyone care to share their experience? Or perhaps opinion? Just to give TLS some perspective, I am relatively familiar with the test; I diagnosed at 154, but I need at least a 164; and I plan to sit for it In October.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Private tutor

Post by Nova » Tue May 21, 2013 10:16 pm

They are hit or miss.

What materials are you using to study with right now?

Trajectory

Bronze

Post by Trajectory » Wed May 22, 2013 8:19 am

I was in this position as in I needed to boost my score up too and keep it stable. I dont know what your weaknesses are but for me its LR. It became obvious at one point that I just wasn't seeing "it"...the patterns, or at least I wasnt proficient enough to hit my score. I had read the books and taken an online course. My last trick was to hire a tutor. Well theres plenty private ones from Craigslist and other websites. I hired him for 10 hrs. Pretty good deal. At the end of the day what helped wasnt so much that I was being taught something new, because I wasn't, it was just very refreshing to see how someone else does this and how they think through it/see it etc, for LR. There were of course a few new things I picked up on, a concept in LG for example. Another aspect is strategy for test taking...we worked that out for me and schedule for drilling. This didnt boost my score up much but I am now consistently scoring between 168-169.

I cant say that it wasnt worth it...but I cant say it absolutely was. There is no golden strategy to this, or proven technique to solve all questions. Maybe thats what I was expecting from people who score 172+. If youre stuck on something...i mean really stuck and just dont get it, have fluctuating PT scores etc...youve exhausted other avenues of study, then I would look into it.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 am

To nova, practice tests ang LG bibles.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed May 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Well, I am a tutor so I may be bias, but like Nova said there can be great ones and not so great ones. Just make sure you talk to the person on the phone and flesh out how well you'd work with them before paying money. Generally, if you have quesions ready to go and know your weaknesses, a tutor can help zero in on what you're doing wrong. If you show up and go "teach me!" There Is a higher likelihood of failure.
Lastly, come back to TLS and tell us what your tutor said and we'll tell you if he/she knows what they're talking about :)

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Wed May 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks micdiddy

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”