Marijuana and Study Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
monadologist

Bronze

Marijuana and Study

Post by monadologist » Fri May 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Yo, so I've come across a very strange problem. I usually get it in and smoke weed everyday but yesterday morning I decided to do a PT without doing the normal routine of waking and baking. Two days ago while baked I did 0 RC, -2 LR1, -1 LR2 and -4 LG (173 scaled), but then yesterday I decided to change it up and just go into it after a short jog to the library and without vaping - got a 159! Totally fucked up every section, like even -7 in RC!

After review the main flaw I had was that I was over-thinking, especially in LR, and my accuracy went to shit because I actually circled TCR then switched to some bumblefuck shell game or some other stupid answer

Anyone in a similar situation?

Edit - My consistency is usually ~165-170 at the moment, with the lowest ever at 157 first time diagnostic (last month)

LSAT Blog

Silver

Re: Marijuana and Study

Post by LSAT Blog » Fri May 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Do you normally exercise before taking a timed PT?

Maybe the jogging had something to do with it, if jogging is not part of your normal pre-test routine.

Could also just be a coincidence. You may need a larger sample to determine whether the failure to follow your normal waking and baking routine is a likely cause of the score drop.

Edit to add: you did a PT 2 days ago, and then you did another one yesterday. I generally advise against taking PTs on consecutive days precisely because it can lead to score drops / burnout.

Do you normally take PTs on consecutive days? If so, I'd recommend taking a day in between to do nothing, or relatively lighter studying.
Last edited by LSAT Blog on Fri May 17, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Fri May 17, 2013 2:47 pm

If you are regularly high and sobriety is a freak occurrence or an alien state of mind, that isn't surprising.

lsatyolo

Gold

Post by lsatyolo » Fri May 17, 2013 3:08 pm

props

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Fri May 17, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm in the same boat bro. I have to bake the day before I take a pt to get a really good night of sleep. I blazed yesterday around six, drank some tea around ten and slept like a baby and did pretty well on my pt this morning.. I've heard that if you're taking pts and studying in a specific state of mind and are doing as well as you want, to not change anything

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

monadologist

Bronze

Post by monadologist » Fri May 17, 2013 4:45 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:Do you normally exercise before taking a timed PT?

Maybe the jogging had something to do with it, if jogging is not part of your normal pre-test routine.

Could also just be a coincidence. You may need a larger sample to determine whether the failure to follow your normal waking and baking routine is a likely cause of the score drop.

Edit to add: you did a PT 2 days ago, and then you did another one yesterday. I generally advise against taking PTs on consecutive days precisely because it can lead to score drops / burnout.

Do you normally take PTs on consecutive days? If so, I'd recommend taking a day in between to do nothing, or relatively lighter studying.
Wow, not to sound like a fanboy but are you the Steve Schwartz? If so, I bought your 3 month study plan back in April and have read pretty much all of your blog posts and I owe a lot of my success to you. ESPECIALLY your in-out method, which has totally replaced the MLG way I used to do it (logic chains and whatnot).

The one thing on your schedule that I didn't follow was the off-days and the on-off PTing thing; to be honest, I guess it was because I felt like that would make me complacent. I also was highly skeptical about the notion of 'burn-out' as just an excuse unmotivated people use for being tired and lazy. If you don't mind, can you clarify why 1 on, 1 off is better than PTing every day with review? I always denied that burn out is a real 'thing' (If it is, I swear that I am straight-up burned out, my PTs have actually been in slight decline lately). In other words, how would PTing every single day as opposed to every other day lead to score drops?

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate all that you do for us LSAT folks, as well as your pretty superhuman mastery of the material.

thefuturenow

New

Post by thefuturenow » Fri May 17, 2013 4:58 pm

lsatyolo wrote:props

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Fri May 17, 2013 4:59 pm

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sun May 19, 2013 10:43 pm

loomstate wrote:170

generous

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Mon May 20, 2013 8:46 pm

monadologist wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:Do you normally exercise before taking a timed PT?

Wow, not to sound like a fanboy but are you the Steve Schwartz? If so, I bought your 3 month study plan back in April and have read pretty much all of your blog posts and I owe a lot of my success to you. ESPECIALLY your in-out method, which has totally replaced the MLG way I used to do it (logic chains and whatnot).

The one thing on your schedule that I didn't follow was the off-days and the on-off PTing thing; to be honest, I guess it was because I felt like that would make me complacent. I also was highly skeptical about the notion of 'burn-out' as just an excuse unmotivated people use for being tired and lazy. If you don't mind, can you clarify why 1 on, 1 off is better than PTing every day with review? I always denied that burn out is a real 'thing' (If it is, I swear that I am straight-up burned out, my PTs have actually been in slight decline lately). In other words, how would PTing every single day as opposed to every other day lead to score drops?

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate all that you do for us LSAT folks, as well as your pretty superhuman mastery of the material.

I'm so glad to hear that you've enjoyed the blog and related resources!

The point of full-length timed tests is not to get through as many as possible. The point is to improving your pacing and endurance, while exposing yourself to the newest exams. You need time to engage in detailed review of the exams that you take. For almost everyone, there is not enough time to do this properly and completely on the same day that you take the exam.

Additionally, burnout is real, and it's not laziness. It results from doing too much work in too short a period of time (essentially, overtraining). I have seen it in many, many, students who try to PT every single day. You can only take so much before you become fatigued. If you search TLS, you'll see others posting about their experiences with burnout. To me, at least, it seems like a plausible explanation for your score drop.

In any case, I'm glad that you appreciate my work!

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Mon May 20, 2013 9:38 pm

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 pm

vaping? are you 17? inhale your smoke like a man.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm soooo blazed right now... Just relaxing before tomorrow's prep test

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue May 21, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm soooo blazed right now.. Gotta go through my usual ritual on the eve before another pt.. yeaa

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Tue May 21, 2013 10:23 pm

ALeal90 wrote:I'm soooo blazed right now... Just relaxing before tomorrow's prep test
ALeal90 wrote:I'm soooo blazed right now.. Gotta go through my usual ritual on the eve before another pt.. yeaa
Anyone else find it interesting he used the same number of o's in so, but couldn't use the same number of periods?

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 pm

What league are you in on sc2?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue May 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Weed makes me slower and dumber.

It also lowers my ambition and makes me more socially awkward than usual.
Last edited by Nova on Tue May 21, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Tue May 21, 2013 11:02 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:What league are you in on sc2?
I used to be really high diamond, but I don't play as seriously or as frequently as I used to. Placement matched into plat.

Drewkapper

New

Post by Drewkapper » Wed May 22, 2013 2:31 am

I'd like to see someone make a thread titled "Bath Salts and Study."

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:52 am

Drewkapper wrote:I'd like to see someone make a thread titled "Bath Salts and Study."
that'd be so funny man you should totally do it

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed May 22, 2013 1:23 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:vaping? are you 17? inhale your smoke like a man.
+1

Man up. Smoke a blunt in the car on the way to the exam. 174. Profit.

ETA: Works for the bar exam too!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

monadologist

Bronze

Post by monadologist » Wed May 22, 2013 2:52 pm

JazzOne wrote:
+1

I may be considered the ultimate girly-man when you find out that not only do i vape my pot, but i use e-cigarettes as well.
But w/e, I could still kick yo bitch asses!

Edit: FWIW - I was a pack a day smoker and heavy bong toker for years and years, by switching to vaping all of the above, I am healthier, can do much more physically,
and don't have the health worries that I did as a smoker

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed May 22, 2013 2:55 pm

monadologist wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
+1

I may be considered the ultimate girly-man when you find out that not only do i vape my pot, but i use e-cigarettes as well.

Edit: FWIW - I was a pack a day smoker and heavy bong toker for years and years, by switching to vaping all of the above, I am healthier, can do much more physically,
Everything you just said is TTT.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed May 22, 2013 3:00 pm

JazzOne wrote:
monadologist wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
+1

Everything you just said is TTT.
That may work for you but me, I'm a blunt blowin purple kush token, blazed all day, eyes not showin. And my score went up 2 points today. The blazing works..

Squintz805

New

Post by Squintz805 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:48 pm

IMO, unless your gonna blaze before the actual test I think it is a horrible idea to blaze before a practice test. I notice I score better in the RC if I toked (mainly I feel because I'm more relaxed reading through the passage not over analyzing things) then if I didn't.

If there is no way your gonna give up smoking, I don't see too much of an issue blazing when reviewing your PT/Drilled Sections after your done for the day. (This is what I do)

If your gonna score better high. Take the test high and study high (story of my undergrad). adjusting when you do and dont smoke herb for the next few months of prep is worth the potential in maximizing your score.

I mean Jesus, next think you know everyone will be talking about what's better for the LSAT: Indicas or Sativas...lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”