1 Month to improve RC? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ElectricSheep

New

1 Month to improve RC?

Post by ElectricSheep » Tue May 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi, I was wondering if its possible to improve RC in one month. I'm taking the June lsat and was aiming for -4 on this section. However, right now I'm getting -8 to -10. Any advice? This tends to be for the late 50's PT

Micdiddy

Gold

Re: 1 Month to improve RC?

Post by Micdiddy » Tue May 07, 2013 7:10 pm

ElectricSheep wrote:Hi, I was wondering if its possible to improve RC in one month. I'm taking the June lsat and was aiming for -4 on this section. However, right now I'm getting -8 to -10. Any advice? This tends to be for the late 50's PT
It's possible to improve RC in one week. Find an approach that works for you and learn it front to back. I think recognizing that most RC questions are really just "must be trues" helped me with that section a lot.

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Wed May 08, 2013 1:52 am

In addition, I would pay attention the ways in which trap answers consistently give themselves away. Eliminating tempting traps will buy you a lot of time if you need to re-check the passage later.

Often times the most perfectly-worded, attractive answer will contain some distortion like using "All" instead of "some" or veer in a slightly incorrect fashion at the very last moment. You should quickly recognize its time to let that answer go and move on to scrutinizing the other answers. I often circled or underlined parts of an answer that were damning so I quickly knew what was up on a second pass. Be on the lookout for when it seems too good to be true, it likely is.

Also are you timestamping everything? Its easy to lose track going passage after passage but oftentimes it was a single 5-minute question that would derail entire section sections for me. Time-sink mitigation was huge for me, I wish I had focused on it earlier.

jcccc

Bronze

Post by jcccc » Wed May 08, 2013 3:21 am

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:27 am

Honestly, I think you could. I would drill something like 8 passages, under the time constraints, a day and then vigorously and thoroughly review them after. Understand why every incorrect answer is incorrect, why you mistakenly thought it was correct at the time you were answering it, and why the credited answer is correct.

Good luck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed May 08, 2013 11:28 am

Micdiddy wrote:
ElectricSheep wrote:Hi, I was wondering if its possible to improve RC in one month. I'm taking the June lsat and was aiming for -4 on this section. However, right now I'm getting -8 to -10. Any advice? This tends to be for the late 50's PT
It's possible to improve RC in one week. Find an approach that works for you and learn it front to back. I think recognizing that most RC questions are really just "must be trues" helped me with that section a lot.
Viewing the questions as (soft) Must be Trues is a great way to improve your score quickly. Treat them as LR questions.

ElectricSheep

New

Post by ElectricSheep » Wed May 08, 2013 4:32 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Viewing the questions as (soft) Must be Trues is a great way to improve your score quickly. Treat them as LR questions.
I'm not sure what you mean by (soft) MBT. Can you elaborate more on this.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu May 09, 2013 12:08 pm

ElectricSheep wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by (soft) MBT. Can you elaborate more on this.
Must Be True questions are the ones that read: "Which one of the following can be logically inferred from the information above?" These are 100% certain based on info above, and they tend to be diagrammable. Thus, they tend to be relegated to Logical Reasoning.

Soft Must Be True questions are the ones that read: "Which one of the following is most strongly supported/best illustrated by the information above?" There's a little wiggle room in these, so you're generally looking for weaker answer choices that have info that directly support it. They're not 100%, but they're close to it. RC questions are mostly of this variety, and you should approach them as such.

Other than ~MBT questions and the traditional RC question types (Main Point, Primary Purpose, Specific Reference, etc...), you should be on the lookout for Parallel questions and Strengthen/Weaken questions, as these LR question types show up very often in RC. You should approach them the same way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”