LG Timing Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
longlivetheking

Bronze

LG Timing

Post by longlivetheking » Tue May 07, 2013 5:56 pm

I can kill the easy ones in 5 minutes but sometimes there are hard ones that would require me to go 10 or even 12 minutes. seeing how an average time for each should be 8m 45 sec, i have 2 questions.

1. is it normal to go over 8m45s for hard questions?

2. should i re-do and practice all games to fit under 8m45s? sometimes i feel its almost required to go over and i think i'm a relatively good LG taker. (average -0)

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: LG Timing

Post by Pneumonia » Tue May 07, 2013 6:46 pm

I've been asking these questions myself, and would be interested to know the perspectives of those who have taken the test. There are some games that I've done like 7 times and still don't get below 11 minutes. Not many, but some. I take comfort in knowing that a consistent -0 on PT's is an indicator that if there are four highly difficult games (unlikely), even if I do poorly as long as I perform at the same level then I'll still be doing good relative to other takers.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue May 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Absolutely on every logic games section there are easier ones and harder ones. It's perfectly normal to use the time saved on easier ones to take more time on harder ones.
I would not redo a game just for time's sake. I would redo games where I screwed up the setup or got many of the questions wrong.

Trajectory

Bronze

Post by Trajectory » Wed May 08, 2013 8:11 am

Hm, I know the books say 8 minutes 45 sec but to me its just an average to keep in mind. The first 1 maybe 2 games I do in 5-6 minutes and then sometimes the 4th (or hardest of the set) takes me around 12. I never felt like those unusually tough needed to be done under 8 min 45 sec.

tuffyjohnson

Bronze

Post by tuffyjohnson » Wed May 08, 2013 8:55 am

Same exact problem here. On PT 68 I FLEW threw the first two games and thought I was awesome (not really). 3rd and fourth games absolutely kicked my ass.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:39 am

Get in the habit of finding the easiest ones first. You can tell by the setup, more rules, easier games. Do those first, leave the other two for last. You will have plenty of time this way to finish the easier ones, and have enough time to attack the other two.

Also, if anyone is struggling in LR, the third "fold" -- by fold I mean when you open into the section, page one on the left and page two on the right would constitute 1 "fold" -- is where statistically, the most difficult games in the section are. Typically, between questions 15-20 (it can be 16-21, or 14-19) are where the most difficult questions will be. It's by design to slow you down halfway through your section. Get in the habit of skipping the third fold altogether, finish the fourth, and leave the third for last (there are usually only four folds). This will allow you to finish everything but the most time consuming questions first, and have enough time at the end to attack them.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Wed May 08, 2013 10:29 am

tuffyjohnson wrote:Same exact problem here. On PT 68 I FLEW threw the first two games and thought I was awesome (not really). 3rd and fourth games absolutely kicked my ass.
I thought the first 2 games in 68 were like a joke. I finished them both within 8 minutes.

Then the third was meh.

And the fourth killed me. I'm going to be worried if I get 2 or 3 easy games on my actual exam... just because of what's coming.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”